PDA

View Full Version : Martial Initiator Multiclassing question

CyberThread
2013-05-11, 03:54 AM
So lets say I have 7 random class/ then 3 crusader/ and then two swordsage

7 / 2 I would get 3.5 initiator from so my crusader would get access to 2nd level maneuvers.

But because I took crusader levels my sword sage initiatory level is actually 6.5 meaning they can do 3rd level maneuvers ?

but at the same time I only get level one stances, and I can't a crusader stance and a swordsage stance at the same time?

SciChronic
2013-05-11, 04:07 AM
you count at 1/2 for everything that isnt a PrC or the initiator class itself.

so when determining the initiator level of your swordsage you add the 7 other levels to the 3 crusader levels, divide it by 2 (5), then add your swordsage(7),

same process for determining initiator level for crusader.

DeltaEmil
2013-05-11, 04:13 AM
Your Crusader initiator level is 3+(7+2)/2 = 7. You can have maneuvers and stances that the crusader could pick up to 4th level.
Your Swordsage initiator level is 2+(7+3)/2= 7. You can have maneuvers and stances that the swordsage could pick up to 4th level.

CyberThread
2013-05-11, 12:00 PM
Well I was talking about as when they first get into the class

So if getting this right

1. Crusaders count as 1/2 levels for swordsage not a full level

2. I get higher level maneuvers, but start off with still level 1 stances?

3. You can only have one stance at a time, not two without PRC's.

DeltaEmil
2013-05-11, 12:08 PM
1. Yes.
2. If you go strictly by the description on page 10 of Tome of Battle, you must take level 1 stances when taking your first crusader level even if you might qualify for higher-level stances, but I doubt anybody is really going to enforce this, since it's written for 1st level characters.
3. Yes. The Warblade can have two stances active as a capstone ability by level 20.

SciChronic
2013-05-11, 12:32 PM
the reason you can only take level 1 stances is because you would normally have to have access, and fill the prerequisites, without counting the maneuvers you just obtained. while your initiator level is high you wouldnt already have a devoted spirit maneuver in your repertoire to take a 3rd level stance without the use of feats.

in short, you can't count maneuvers you jsut obtained to fill prerequisites for maneuvers/stances you jsut obtained.

Rijan_Sai
2013-05-13, 09:03 PM
1. Yes.
2. If you go strictly by the description on page 10 of Tome of Battle, you must take level 1 stances when taking your first crusader level, when you "begin play" (<- exact wording). However, since you are hardly "begining play" at your 8th character level, so can take any stance you qualify for.. (For the record, it is my opinion that even if YOU start the game (I.e. "begin play") at a higher level, your CHARACTER did not, so this still stands.)
3. Yes. The Warblade can have two stances active as a capstone ability by level 20.

FTFY

the reason you can only take level 1 stances is because you would normally have to have access, and fill the prerequisites, without counting the maneuvers you just obtained. while your initiator level is high you wouldnt already have a devoted spirit maneuver in your repertoire to take a 3rd level stance without the use of feats.

in short, you can't count maneuvers you jsut obtained to fill prerequisites for maneuvers/stances you jsut obtained.

Actually, according to the FAQ, you can use maneuvers gained this level to qualify for other maneuvers (and stances, since there is nothing that says you must choose those first, and precedence that they come after the rest...) this level. So yes, you can take higher level stances when you multiclass into your first initiator class level(s).

(To be fair, it is the FAQ, so...)