PDA

View Full Version : Most fun 5th level character

Invader
2013-05-11, 09:27 AM
Pretty simple, what's the most fun 5th character you've ever played (mechanically)? I need ideas for a one shot session today.

Callin
2013-05-11, 09:29 AM
sources available?

Gwazi Magnum
2013-05-11, 09:30 AM
Melee Fighter or Barbarian with Maxmized strength was my funnest.

Just watch as any enemy just falls to pieces before you and the DM cries as a result of how terrifyingly strong you are.

RolandDeschain
2013-05-11, 09:35 AM
you can build a pretty damned good charger by fifth level; the hard part would be trying to come up with something else to bring to the party...

Emmerask
2013-05-11, 09:38 AM
Psychic Warrior

Invader
2013-05-11, 09:48 AM
Everything official is allowed aside from ToB and MoI. I'm not looking for snatching really optimized just fun and they have a well rounded group I'm just sitting in for 1 session because I have a day off work. I'm leaning towards a cold themed wizard/sorcerer that uses a lot of bad cold/ice puns.

Callin
2013-05-11, 09:48 AM
If you want more melee go with Generic Warrior1/Thief of Life 4. You have to use the warriors bonus feat on Sneak Attack and the skills on prereqs. You get for this a BaB of +4 a decent Fort and Ref (and depending on where you put your good save from warrior could be a fair Will), 3d6 sneak attack, Life Sense 10ft, and the reason of the build Borrow Vigor which lets you get temp HP's if your sneak attack kills the person. Toss on Animal Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) for a wolf to help set up flanks and trips and then the Darkstalker Feat for you and the Wolf (it gains HD so it gains a feat) and man you are set.

Can be more skill monkey if ya want and instead use the Generic Expert. All that does is decrease your BaB from +4 to +3. Not a bad trade off for alot more skill points.

So if you think skillpoints are worth more than 1 BaB for a oneshot or in general then go right ahead and do the Expert. YMMV

Edit: this was made while you typed out your response so ignore if you want :smallbiggrin:

Snowbluff
2013-05-11, 10:35 AM
Strong Heart Halfling Paladin5 Mount Charger. Move faster, hit harder.:smallcool:

Marrulurk have Death Attack. And Sneak Attack. Dip in Warlock for Darkness and Blend Into Shadows for HiPS.

Soranar
2013-05-11, 10:49 AM
Wildshape ranger, by level 5 you get your ability to wildshape. Full BAB, plenty of skillpoints, enough hitpoints not to worry too much about fighting in melee.

You also get your first spells and, if you have the appropriate ACF, you can also find and disable traps.

SSGoW
2013-05-11, 11:56 AM
Well I have nothing to add since the two funnest books for non optimizers like me are ToB and MoI.

:smallannoyed:

prufock
2013-05-11, 12:47 PM
Very simple: Factotum 5 with Font of Inspiration 3 times. Binder 5 with Improved Binding. Warlock 5.

Simple-moderate: Bard 4/Marshal 1 with Motivate Charisma.

Zaq
2013-05-11, 12:50 PM
Most of the characters I consider fun have more tricks than you can show off in a one-shot. That's what makes them fun to me. That said, we can turn this around. Take a crazy gimmick that'll be neat for one afternoon, since you don't need to worry about keeping it up. This is exactly where to use crazy gimmick builds, no? Level 5 is a bit of a downer relative to level 6 (so much opens up at level 6), but you can make something work.

How about a Wilder? Their lack of versatility and narrow focus get old quickly, but for a one-shot, it can be fun. Either blast everything to hell and back, or go for a gish with Claws of the Beast and Inertial Armor. Or, you know, make crazy Astral Constructs.

Gildedragon
2013-05-11, 01:00 PM
Anything Factotum 5

H (if human) & 1: Any of: Nymph's Kiss (if Good), Keen Intellect (if 1 bad stat), Weapon Finesse (if the +1 bab prereq is waived), or FoI (so that you take at least 2)

3: Any of: Obtain Familiar Or Weapon Finesse, Or Knowledge Devotion

(if flaws are allowed, take 2 for FoI)

As to a Cold Punster:

A diamond powered warforged warlock with ridiculously high strength and an austrian accent?

Snowbluff
2013-05-11, 02:40 PM
Very simple: Factotum 5 with Font of Inspiration 3 times. Binder 5 with Improved Binding. Warlock 5.

Simple-moderate: Bard 4/Marshal 1 with Motivate Charisma.

Warlock1/Anima Mage4. :smallcool:

Kyberwulf
2013-05-11, 03:12 PM
I had this Barbaian/fighter one time. Used a scythe, and just waded into battle. He was known for picking up Goblins and Kobolds and using them as improvised weapons. He would pick them up and swing them into enemies.

Amnestic
2013-05-11, 03:27 PM
Everything official is allowed aside from ToB and MoI.

Damn. I was gonna say Crusader 5 (or maybe Crusader 4/Warblade 1 or Crusader 4//Swordsage 1).

If no ToB, I'd probably go with Binder 5 (or the Warlock 1/Anima Mage 4 ;p)

Bakkan
2013-05-11, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I was gonna say Spellthief 1/Swordsage 4, but no ToB takes that off the table.

For non-ToB I don't have any specific characters in mind for level 5. Full casters are fun since they get their third level spells at level 5. If it's a one-shot I might do a blastomancer and just see how much damage I can nova in one round that evening.

Azoth
2013-05-11, 08:58 PM
I love a strongheart halfling rogue 5 with substitution levels as a grenadier. Have a sack of Alchemist Fire, Acid, ect. Then you just go chucking them at anyone you can hide from for copious amounts of damage. You will need quick draw and rapid shot to get the best of it.

Seharvepernfan
2013-05-11, 10:26 PM
That I've ever played?

5th level rogue. You have 3d6 sneak attack, and enough feats for weapon finesse/two weapon fighting/improved initiative (assuming human or strongheart). You have plenty of ranks in the right skills, you have uncanny dodge/evasion/trap sense (whoo). You can afford a mithril shirt, enchanted dagger(s), potions and a few other things. If you are of the UMD focused type, your skill bonus is high enough to be used fairly reliably, and you can afford a wand of scorching ray.

Most importantly, most of the things you fight can actually be brought down by you in a round or two of sneak attacks.

RFLS
2013-05-11, 10:33 PM
funnest

*twitch* This message has been brought to you by Grammar Nazis Incorporated.

Metahuman1
2013-05-11, 10:39 PM
Beguiler who makes heavy use of his Illusions/Forgery/Bluff and Diplomacy skills to royally screw his opponents up?

limejuicepowder
2013-05-11, 11:10 PM
Some kind of one-trick pony. Basically any barb build is good for this - utterly destroy everything in melee combat, act over the top and irrationally when there's nothing to smash.

Wilder is another good suggestion. They can do some serious blasting, and summoning an uber astral construct sounds fun too.

Pick a low level spell and make a caster based on that spell (I like magic missile, though ray of enfeeblement is fun too). Use arcane thesis shenanigans to metamagic the crap out of it.

For my most specific build idea, martial wizard. Take exotic weapon proficiency (harpoon). Wrap explosive rune tags on the harpoon. Give it a heave, sticks in to opponent. Activate runes as you see fit.

Seffbasilisk
2013-05-12, 07:31 AM
Warlock.

Be a superhero.

Zergling
2013-05-12, 08:15 AM
I think a wizard would be a good or maybe a cleric

Sactheminions
2013-05-12, 11:07 AM
Warlock 5
Fighter1/Paladin4
Cleric1/Fighter4 (TWF)

AzureNightshade
2013-05-12, 03:23 PM
I really enjoyed my Focused Conjurer4/Paragnostic Apostle1 (Take call of worlds)

I gave up Enchanting Illusion and Necromancy, I don't like save or dies, they're boring! In return you give up 1 spell slot to gain 3 Spell slots that have to be Conjuration (2 summon monster IIIs, Acid Breath), Web, Glitterdust, Mage Armor, etc.

Take Enhanced Summoning and Rapid Summoning variants, giving up scribe scroll and your familiar for Augment Summoning and Standard Action Summons.

Feats:
Cloudy Conjuration, Spell Focus Conjuration, Acid Splatter (gives you a 3d6 ranged touch attack for free)

SMIII is basically the peak of vanilla SM usefulness/fun for most people, your summons get DR5, the Bison (battering ram), Ape (grapple, 3 attacks) and Bat (flying) are all spectacular combatants at this level, and with paragnostic apostle they get fast healing 3.

If non vanilla summon monster lists are allowed summon the Nashrou (MM4)
he shreds things.

Nature's Children (an item) increase the duration of your summons for an extra round.

Summon your monster and watch it go crazy that round, the Nashrou makes a fireball spell look silly in comparison.
Next round haste everyone (including your summon) and laugh evilly because nothings going to survive to the next round.

Snowbluff
2013-05-12, 05:21 PM
Alternatively, a Druid 5 with Ashbound makes a pretty sweet summoner. And you have the AnC and Wildshape. Maybe even add on some... Fell Drain Produce Flame. :smalltongue:

shortround
2013-05-12, 05:52 PM
Desert Half-orc Wolf Totem Barbarian 2/ Half-orc Paragon 3 With Menacing Demeanor and Intimidating Rage is pretty fun. Alternatively, You can do Human Wolf Totem Barbarian 2/Zhentarim Soldier Dungeon Crasher 3 and replace Menacing Demeanor for Dreadful Wrath.

Osiris
2013-05-12, 07:29 PM
WIZARD. Wizard=win, as does other things the thread mentioned.

Always wanted to plat Warlock 4/wizard [or cleric, haven't decided] 1
What say?

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-12, 08:08 PM
Elan Psion that was a hundred thousand years old and had just recently managed to escape from being imprisoned in a slow time demiplane at the cost of most of his power. It's fun to play a character who used to be massively powerful, planned for all kinds of contingencies, and managed to survive that which should have permanently dealt with him only to find that nothing at all is how he remembers it and all of his contingencies have turned to dust thanks to the great time difference. He's adventuring to regain the power that he has lost.

That character was probably the most fun psion that I ever played, the game started at level one and ended up epic. Nothing like being the one who imprisoned myself in the slow time demiplane. ;)

Chained Birds
2013-05-12, 10:21 PM
Elan Psion that was a hundred thousand years old and had just recently managed to escape from being imprisoned in a slow time demiplane at the cost of most of his power. It's fun to play a character who used to be massively powerful, planned for all kinds of contingencies, and managed to survive that which should have permanently dealt with him only to find that nothing at all is how he remembers it and all of his contingencies have turned to dust thanks to the great time difference. He's adventuring to regain the power that he has lost.

That character was probably the most fun psion that I ever played, the game started at level one and ended up epic. Nothing like being the one who imprisoned myself in the slow time demiplane. ;)

Elans are so fun to play. Being immortal (lifespan-wise) can lead to some serious amounts of fluff and would explain why your character has great knowledge skills or abilities that haven't been seen in over a millennia. Because you were at those historical events and were that guy who summoned an Astral Construct into King Reginald the 3rd's Koi Pond.