PDA

View Full Version : Anti-magic chain weapon

Scarey Nerd
2013-05-11, 09:43 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to work out what a balanced value and effect for a new weapon could be for one of my players. It's a vicious barbed chain weapon, 30ft long, with a sort of claw at the end. It works like a lasso and also deals a d6 of damage when it hits. I want it to have some sort of magic-draining effect every round it's attached to a magic-user, something along the lines of draining their spell-slots and/or reducing their caster level, but I'm not really sure what's fair. It's for an 8th level character who has 25,000gp to spend on their total equipment. What do you guys think would make for a good ability for it to have along those general lines?

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-05-11, 11:27 AM
That's quite powerful. Vicious and +1, along with an extra untyped 1d6 damage brings it to about +3 (a bit weaker than that), so about 15000.

If you mean that it drains spells slots from enemy casters per hit, then that's like an arcane turmoil spell (2nd level) without the dispelling part. If it doesn't decrease caster level, then it'd probably cost an extra 2000*spell level^2 as normal. That's about 23000, so it might work. Adding a reducing caster level effect is probably going to cost a bit more.

Scarey Nerd
2013-05-11, 02:11 PM
That's quite powerful. Vicious and +1, along with an extra untyped 1d6 damage brings it to about +3 (a bit weaker than that), so about 15000.

If you mean that it drains spells slots from enemy casters per hit, then that's like an arcane turmoil spell (2nd level) without the dispelling part. If it doesn't decrease caster level, then it'd probably cost an extra 2000*spell level^2 as normal. That's about 23000, so it might work. Adding a reducing caster level effect is probably going to cost a bit more.

Sorry, I didn't mean it has the vicious ability, I was just being colourful :smalltongue: The d6 of damage is just because of these barbs digging into the person.

jindra34
2013-05-11, 02:35 PM
Your talking about something that is a (potentially longer than normal) spiked chain, that does 1 dice size greater than normal (Roughly a +1 weapon enchantment there), essentially auto-Grapples people it hits (Guessing another +1-2 there), auto-Hits grappled targets each round (about the same as auto-grapple, +1-2), and then has a nasty anti-mage effect (which for continuous would be 1800xspell levelxCaster Level [Using the above mentioned spell would be 12800 gp for that alone] or probably another +2). So way out of the reach of the characters current WBL.