PDA

View Full Version : Undead regeneration

Saramoth
2013-05-11, 12:20 PM
Ok so I have a necropolitan in d&d 3.5 and he just lost a leg, soooo how can I get it back? just to get a new one and stitch it back or what :)

Bulhakov
2013-05-11, 12:30 PM
1) turn into a living creature (polymorph or spark of life), then use regeneration

2) get a graft

karkus
2013-05-11, 01:50 PM
A graft sounds pretty cool. Either you can use that or find a leg, yours or not, and just fuse it with Inflict spells.

I was also thinking of the anti-Regenerate spell. You know how some healing-based spells have the opposite effect on undead, and vice versa? Well there's a spell that, long story short, has nearly the opposite effect of Rgenerate. You can get a scroll of that and use it on yourself (or hire someone else to do it for you) and give it functionally the same effect (I think it's called something like Whither, and it might be in Libris Mortis).

EDIT: I was very close. It's called Whither Limb, and it is in the Libris Mortis, but I don't think that it was the same spell I was thinking of. Whither Limb withers the target's limb (hence the name :smallamused:) and has a permanent duration, but the spell that I was trying to remember I believe whithers the limb for ~10 minutes/level, and if a second casting is applied to the same limb, it falls off and has to be restored with Regeneration. I'll try and find that version now.

MrNobody
2013-05-11, 01:53 PM
You have multiple choices:
-Grafts
-Using regeneration, getting the damage given for the normal healing (you would grow an "alive" limb and take damage as it becomes an undead leg). You also can find ways to avoid the damage.
-If you are a caster, you can research an original spell that works like regeneration on undead... talk with your DM, this could be a fair sidequest.
-Use the wooden pirate-leg.

georgie_leech
2013-05-11, 02:09 PM
The text of Regenerate doesn't mention positive energy anywhere, nor that it requires a constitution score or even that the target be alive for it to work. Am I missing something that means you wouldn't be able to just get Regenerate cast on you?

Chronos
2013-05-11, 02:13 PM
Actually, "whither limb" would be "Where did my limb go?". What you're looking for is "wither limb", which is "Oh, I know where my limb went. It shriveled up and fell off.".

Amnestic
2013-05-11, 02:25 PM
The text of Regenerate doesn't mention positive energy anywhere, nor that it requires a constitution score or even that the target be alive for it to work. Am I missing something that means you wouldn't be able to just get Regenerate cast on you?

Regenerate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/regenerate.htm)
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 7, Drd 9, Healing 7
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 3 full rounds
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The subject’s severed body members (fingers, toes, hands, feet, arms, legs, tails, or even heads of multiheaded creatures), broken bones, and ruined organs grow back. After the spell is cast, the physical regeneration is complete in 1 round if the severed members are present and touching the creature. It takes 2d10 rounds otherwise.

Regenerate also cures 4d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +35), rids the subject of exhaustion and/or fatigue, and eliminates all nonlethal damage the subject has taken. It has no effect on nonliving creatures (including undead).

Bolded for emphasis. The Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/regenerate) version has the same clause at the end.

georgie_leech
2013-05-11, 03:20 PM
And that's what I get for not double checking the text *facepalm*

Amnestic
2013-05-11, 03:25 PM
And that's what I get for not double checking the text *facepalm*

It happens :smalltongue: I missed it on my first readthrough too.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-05-11, 03:32 PM
I'd rule that limited wish could reattach an undead's severed limbs.

White_Drake
2013-05-11, 03:34 PM
Actually, "whither limb" would be "Where did my limb go?". What you're looking for is "wither limb", which is "Oh, I know where my limb went. It shriveled up and fell off.".

Heh, lexicographic advice for great justice.

nyjastul69
2013-05-11, 05:04 PM
Regenerate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/regenerate.htm)
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 7, Drd 9, Healing 7
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 3 full rounds
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

The subject’s severed body members (fingers, toes, hands, feet, arms, legs, tails, or even heads of multiheaded creatures), broken bones, and ruined organs grow back. After the spell is cast, the physical regeneration is complete in 1 round if the severed members are present and touching the creature. It takes 2d10 rounds otherwise.

Regenerate also cures 4d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +35), rids the subject of exhaustion and/or fatigue, and eliminates all nonlethal damage the subject has taken. It has no effect on nonliving creatures (including undead).

Bolded for emphasis. The Pathfinder (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/r/regenerate) version has the same clause at the end.

Target line states: living creature touched. Undead aren't living creatures. That last line might be there to indicate it can't actually harm undead in any way.

Devils_Advocate
2013-05-11, 07:52 PM
The supernatural forces that animate your character allow him to move around as if he still had his leg despite its absence. It's the same principle that makes him immune to critical hits and even allows him to get along just fine without a head (if decapitated by a vorpal weapon, for instance). Also the same principle that allows animated skeletons to move around without muscles.

Reattaching the leg, or attaching a different leg if the original is unavailable, e.g. with adhesive, would prevent your character from looking too unusual, but is unnecessary to restore his mobility, odd as that might seem. Morte, from Planescape: Torment, is an extreme example of this sort of thing.

At least I think that's how it works. Someone correct me if I got something wrong.

TuggyNE
2013-05-11, 11:27 PM
At least I think that's how it works. Someone correct me if I got something wrong.

I'm not sure there's any RAW-defined way for undead to lose limbs, so it's not like you can actually be wrong, only guess incorrectly what the houserule in effect is. :smallwink: