PDA

View Full Version : Am I understanding this right?

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 04:39 PM
Warforged doesn't need to rest because they don't get tired so they can run at X4 their normal speed or 120ft overland. o-o SO they beat out a horse by double when traveling like that. by two and a half if they have the run feat and a way to haste themselves constantly it goes up more to like 300ft. Is this right?

Aegis013
2013-05-11, 04:46 PM
Interestingly, there are rules for things like all-day travel, and the distances traveled don't total up to (move speed * rounds in 14-15 hours of waking time) at all. I think they're in the DMG, but I'm not certain.

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 04:52 PM
Ya I read them. o-o but they say you can't because you would tire out and end up doing a walk overall. but warforged don't tire. sooooooooooo ya. Not sure but I think they broke the overland travel mechanics and could just run with the horses.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-11, 04:58 PM
Yes, if capable of running, a construct or undead will never ever get tired and can continue to do so ad infinitum.

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 05:01 PM
XD sweet That adds to the awesomeness that is warforged.

eggynack
2013-05-11, 05:14 PM
It actually doesn't seem that unrealistic. Humans are theoretically capable of beating horses when racing over a long distance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_versus_Horse_Marathon), because we tend to have large amounts of endurance. Horses have significantly less endurance, and warforged should have significantly more

The Viscount
2013-05-11, 05:16 PM
Warforged can indeed run due to the living construct subype. Their exhaustion also makes them able to rage without penalty.

NamelessNPC
2013-05-11, 06:39 PM
It actually doesn't seem that unrealistic. Humans are theoretically capable of beating horses when racing over a long distance (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_versus_Horse_Marathon), because we tend to have large amounts of endurance. Horses have significantly less endurance, and warforged should have significantly more

Maybe the horses have less endurance because they are forced to carry a lazy human. Not that this is any kind of "on topic"

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 06:48 PM
o-o True humans are kinda lazy but back on topic. XD I find it odd that its one of the only races that is +0 with this much awesome at level one. I mean infinite running, immunities out the ass, and lots of special Items/feats that give you stuff WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY before you should have them.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-11, 07:07 PM
I don't really think infinite running is as powerful or game-breaking as you're making it out to be. It's really not that big of a deal. It becomes moderately useful if the entire party can do it, but it still only means that you can catch or outrun another group of people or get to Point B a few hours early.

The Viscount
2013-05-11, 07:15 PM
The running isn't that broken. The ability to become immune to nonlethal damage with Improved Resiliency from level 1 can be exploited, though.

Feralventas
2013-05-11, 10:51 PM
Maybe the horses have less endurance because they are forced to carry a lazy human. Not that this is any kind of "on topic"

I feel that while it's tangentially relevant it ought to be mentioned, on the off chance that this was a gag...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

The horse can be as fast as it likes, it will tire before a human will if they're in decent shape. Just gotta run 'em 'till they either can't defend themselves from harm or have a heart-attack.

Additionally, for synergy with Tiger Claw maneuvers from the Tome of Battle, you get +4 to your Jump checks for every 10ft of Speed you have more than 30. If you're already looking for mobility/speed buffs, keep that in mind as it might help you to get additional damage vs a number of targets.

eggynack
2013-05-11, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure horses have less endurance because they just have less endurance. As was noted, humans are really good at going for a really long time. I mean, I don't, but like humans in general.

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 10:57 PM
And its tomb of battle for the broken mechanic! XD I sense massive abuse of that rule coming on. So how much damage are we talking about? Though thinking about that at 300ft hasted with run feat.+108 to jump. snag a item or spell that removes max jump height/distance and it can get pretty nuts I think.

Edit: fixed the massive math error. its a +108 to jump not 54 no idea where I got that from.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-11, 10:59 PM
I don't really think infinite running is as powerful or game-breaking as you're making it out to be. It's really not that big of a deal. It becomes moderately useful if the entire party can do it, but it still only means that you can catch or outrun another group of people or get to Point B a few hours early.

And even then, with a source of healing you can forced march forever, and RAW once you hit 6th level you automatically heal any damage you take from a forced march. (1d6 nonlethal damage/hr, nonlethal heals at a rate of 1/level/hr.)

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-11, 11:20 PM
on the off chance that this was a gag...

Then I guess we'd call it...

:cool:

a running gag.

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!
Sorry I couldn't resist!

eggynack
2013-05-11, 11:27 PM

a running gag.

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!
Sorry I couldn't resist!

I am ajog that you would make a pun of that nature. Truly this forum is sprintering.

Matticussama
2013-05-11, 11:28 PM
Keep in mind that, whether or not the Warforged are immune to being tired from running, terrain will have a huge impact on total distance traveled. Unless you're constantly running over flat terrain with no hindrances, your total distance moved will be significantly less than just working the math out under ideal circumstances. So make sure to take those factors into account in-game.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-11, 11:46 PM

a running gag.

YEEEEAAAAAAAHHHH!!
Sorry I couldn't resist!

You know, I think that you're missing a little something... (http://cow.org/csi/)

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 11:49 PM
True but still that jump bonus is crazy...... ya seeing as he could if the cap for distance is removed jump 108ft long jump. without adding in strength or rank or really even other crazy stuff thats just one spell and feat + help from the ToB. Now add in +30 for the non-epic skill bonus cap and some good strenth and say maybe 13 ranks for level ten.it jumps to being 151ft before the roll. in a round. since haste gives you a extra action each round. XD so this would effing work. 451ft distance each round min.

Edit: and just picture the warforged doing this in your head. XDDDDDDDDDDD had me giggling for a bit.

Edit2: I just totaly relized...... that warforged is run jumping at 1 mile per min. or 60MPH. Meaing a total of 1440 miles per day. XD I think that would beat the other characters by a week or more even funnier with water walk being used.

Steward
2013-05-12, 12:01 AM
I feel like going down to the local farm and going head to head with a couple of horses, just to prove my human might.

TuggyNE
2013-05-12, 12:20 AM
I feel like going down to the local farm and going head to head with a couple of horses, just to prove my human might.

Well, for what it's worth, you'd have to be pretty well in shape to be able to pull it off. If you feel like running 10+ miles, though, you can probably manage it?

Jeff the Green
2013-05-12, 12:26 AM
Well, for what it's worth, you'd have to be pretty well in shape to be able to pull it off. If you feel like running 10+ miles, though, you can probably manage it?

More like 20. The Man versus Horse Marathon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_versus_Horse_Marathon) is 22 miles long, and humans win occasionally. If you were to do it somewhere other than England, humans would almost always win because horses don't cope with heat very well.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-12, 12:43 AM
More like 20. The Man versus Horse Marathon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_versus_Horse_Marathon) is 22 miles long, and humans win occasionally. If you were to do it somewhere other than England, humans would almost always win because horses don't cope with heat very well.

Our species did kind of originate in Africa... safe to say we tend to function better in the conditions we're evolved for. You know, the ones where we don't have to wear dead animal skins and burn things 24/7 to avoid death from exposure.

RFLS
2013-05-12, 12:56 AM

I feel that while it's tangentially relevant it ought to be mentioned, on the off chance that this was a gag...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting

The horse can be as fast as it likes, it will tire before a human will if they're in decent shape. Just gotta run 'em 'till they either can't defend themselves from harm or have a heart-attack.

Additionally, for synergy with Tiger Claw maneuvers from the Tome of Battle, you get +4 to your Jump checks for every 10ft of Speed you have more than 30. If you're already looking for mobility/speed buffs, keep that in mind as it might help you to get additional damage vs a number of targets.

Woops. Came here to say this, got ninja-ed by a lot.

Quietus
2013-05-12, 01:02 AM
And its tomb of battle for the broken mechanic! XD I sense massive abuse of that rule coming on. So how much damage are we talking about? Though thinking about that at 300ft hasted with run feat.+108 to jump. snag a item or spell that removes max jump height/distance and it can get pretty nuts I think.

Edit: fixed the massive math error. its a +108 to jump not 54 no idea where I got that from.

The jump bonus is based off of your base speed, not the total distance you're moving that round. In this case, your base speed is 60, so you'd have +12 to jump, or +16 with the bonus from Run. The bonus to Jump doesn't care whether you've just sprinted for a mile or are starting from the stop, it runs off of your base speed every time.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-12, 01:21 AM
Woops. Came here to say this, got ninja-ed by a lot.

It's only ninja-ing if you actually post it in the thread after someone else. You never posted it in the thread, therefore you have not been ninja'd.

RFLS
2013-05-12, 01:24 AM
It's only ninja-ing if you actually post it in the thread after someone else. You never posted it in the thread, therefore you have not been ninja'd.

Huh. What do you call it when you read the OP, have a response prepared, and then see that someone else said exactly what you intended?

eggynack
2013-05-12, 01:26 AM
Huh. What do you call it when you read the OP, have a response prepared, and then see that someone else said exactly what you intended?
I don't think there's a name for it. Maybe psychic rogue'd? It makes sense, because you shot your opinion at the thread with your mind preemptively, without ever making the post.

Edit: A better rationale for the term "psychic rogue'd" could be that the while a ninja types his response before you could, the psychic rogue types his response before you could even think of it.

TuggyNE
2013-05-12, 02:14 AM

I'm gonna say that that's Soulknifing a reply in, maybe?

I.e., you kind of ineffectively motioned toward the thread with your post made of mindstuff and called it good.