PDA

View Full Version : Help creating an Artificer for Forgotten Realms.

Bean Wack
2013-05-11, 07:53 PM
We have recently started a Forgotten Realms campaign and I decided that I would like to try to make an Artificer. After a short conversation with the DM, (who was a little skeptical of doing it) agreed and allowed its creation.

The problem is, not only will I be the first in the group to attempt to make one (so I'm going in a bit clueless with no help from friends), but this is not the Eberron setting so some things are out of place.

Here's whats important:
-I don't want to make the omnificer or a character that makes a wand that will shoot a hole though a god. Min/Maxing is NOT the objective.
-I don't want a character that over does it, just one that can stand with the party and doesn't get left behind.
-This character needs to work with the back story and characteristics I have set out. (obvious)

Backstory:
He is a Male Human named Cazmere and around the age 24. Cazmere's mother died during child birth leaving him with his father. His father, Valdif, a famous artificer, known for his exceptional talent, forced Cazmere to take up crafting and help with the shop. Valdif often acted cruel and distant to Cazmere, always mocking his creations and his attempts at crafting. One day Valdif received a request on making an immensely powerful item at which he approved and created for his unnamed buyer. Shortly after, Valdif was found dead in his shop. Cazmere left, knowing he wasn't capable of taking up the family business. Cazmere travels, hoping to become experienced enough to one day make something truly amazing. His goal is to make something that will leave his mark on the world, in hopes to not gain immortality through his life, but instead from his work. He doesn't want to end up dead, lying in a pool of blood with nothing worth remembering him like his father.
(This is a very shortened up version of his back story but should describe his person)

With that being said, let's get started.
His Stats were: 12, 13, 15, 16, 16, 17.
I was thinking of having it as follows:
Str:13 Dex: 15 Con: 16 Int: 17 Wis: 12 Cha: 16
The reason I have Intelligence the highest was for a reflection of the characters innovative personality. I realize Charisma is the most important but it just didn't fit as well.
From here on, I don't really know what to do. I think that I want there to be a lot of focus on his ability to make constructs or humonculi. I also think that he will have ranged weapons though, I am not sure.
Also, my DM allowed me to have Forge Master, Craft on the Move, and the Identify abilities from the home brew version here:
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Artificer_%283.5e_Class%29
I get them when I would on there.

What should I do? I don't know what I should do for feats and skills. I can change some of the back story if things really need to change.
Please teach me the ways of the artificer.

Waker
2013-05-11, 08:04 PM
Well, the Artificer has a few options as far as playstyles, so I'll just ask. What playstyle do you want to use? You can use a bevy of wands/staffs to deal damage, heal or whatever. They make decent archers if my memory serves. They could make reasonable frontline fighters I suppose, though it would definitely help if you dipped another class for armor/weapon options.

What do you see your character doing when he finds himself facing down enemies or anything other encounter?

Callin
2013-05-11, 08:05 PM
In all honestly a lack of Gnome and Gond makes me a tad sad for this.

Invader
2013-05-11, 08:07 PM
Congrats on picking the most bookkeeping intensive class in D&D!

You don't really need to change anything about the class to play an artificer in Faerun as all the mechanics are the same. The only thing you'll do without is the action points from Eberron but thats nothing to really worry about.

I'd suggest reading these guides and then asking specific questions about things you don't understand.

Artificer Handbook
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5929.0

Cost Reduction handbook
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=9jsnpat7dmne8ate03aqab6no5&topic=1000

Item Familiars
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm

Consolidated list of Bargain bin spells for artificers
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12661

CyberThread
2013-05-11, 08:08 PM
Let me drag out my resident faerun stick for this.

If your Dm is wary on this, three things to bring up

Times of troubles

Gond

Island of Lantan

From those three points, even if you are human, you don't need to be gnome, but you can go further and go for wonky things like black powder, and renaissance era guns rules from the DM book. I would suggest not doing the guns, and stick with the black powder grenades, so the Dm does not get further skittish.

Bean Wack
2013-05-11, 10:06 PM
What do you see your character doing when he finds himself facing down enemies or anything other encounter?

I suppose that I would see him have a construct handle it. If not that, then he would probably be an archer(crossbow). If possible, both.

I do realize that I picked a very difficult class. I could build this, but I fear not keeping up with the party do to a broken build, so I am practically asking someone to set me up a build.

I should also bring up that this is 3.5e. Sorry for not specifying earlier

Invader
2013-05-11, 10:43 PM
I suppose that I would see him have a construct handle it. If not that, then he would probably be an archer(crossbow). If possible, both.

I do realize that I picked a very difficult class. I could build this, but I fear not keeping up with the party do to a broken build, so I am practically asking someone to set me up a build.

I should also bring up that this is 3.5e. Sorry for not specifying earlier

Here's a pretty standard artificer I built at 4th level.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=409370

Invader
2013-05-11, 10:47 PM
I was gearing him to be a wandoficer.