PDA

View Full Version : Confusion x.x

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 08:05 PM
Okay so this armor ability gives armor immunity to rust and acid damage. x.x but a warforged has a body that acts like built in armor that can have the rather cheap enchantment on it.

BLUESHINE
Price: +1,500 gp
Property: Metal armor
Caster Level: 12th
Aura: Strong; (DC 21) abjuration
Activation: —
This armor glistens with a blue-black sheen, as
if it were covered in oily liquid sapphire.
A suit of armor imbued with this property
never tarnishes and is immune to
acid damage and rusting effects. While
wearing blueshine armor, you gain a +2
competence bonus on Hide checks.
Prerequisites: Craft Magic Arms and
Armor, Craft (alchemy) 5 ranks.
Cost to Create: 750 gp, 60 XP, 2 days

so how do I handle this?

Waker
2013-05-11, 08:07 PM
Okay so this armor ability gives armor immunity to rust and acid damage. x.x but a warforged has a body that acts like built in armor that can have the rather cheap enchantment on it.

So are you wondering if a Warforged with the Blueshine enchantment on their compositive armor is protected from acid/rust? They would still take damage from acid attacks, but their composite armor would be unharmed. Rust attacks won't affect them.

Sucrose
2013-05-11, 08:09 PM
Were you planning on rusting out the Warforged as punishment for his race at some point? Or are you concerned about dirt-cheap immunity to an element? :smallconfused:

If the second, it's clear that his armor components would then be immune to acid damage. Doesn't necessarily mean that his structural components, underneath the armor, would be, though. Tell him that he can be assured that his armor bonus won't be broken if he gets that, but that's as much as it does.

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 08:10 PM
The two in question have mithreal body. But that sounds reasonable. Not that the armor can be attack directly or indirectly with acid anywho. its not actual armor just its hit points are the characters hit points.

Waker
2013-05-11, 08:12 PM
The two in question have mithreal body. But that sounds reasonable. Not that the armor can be attack directly or indirectly with acid anywho. its not actual armor just its hit points are the characters hit points.

Well, there are certain effects, mostly ooze attacks, that specifically deal damage to things like metal. With this the composite plate wouldn't be subject to melting. And rusting of course protects him from Rust Monsters or Rusting Grasp.

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 08:18 PM
Hmmm so it would make it immune mainly to certain special attacks at best not acid damage in general? o-o Thats what you are saying? Though some also affect wood. So more like he takes half damage or something. This was mainly the part that confused me. XD what to do with the acid part of it. I know total immunity is no. But what does it give immunity to?

Waker
2013-05-11, 08:30 PM
Lemme see how I can phrase this.
Acid Damage can refer to two separate traits, both of which Blueshine would protect against. The first is damaging objects, which composite plating would count as, since it's armor.

Energy Attacks
Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures; roll damage and apply it normally after a successful hit. Electricity and fire attacks deal half damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness.
So while an attack can deal damage to the Warforged normally, their Blueshined Composite Plating would take no damage and would suffer no chance of being damaged/destroyed.

The second attack has to do with abilities that bypass HP/Hardness entirely and simply destroy it, like the Gray Ooze's acid attack.

A gray ooze secretes a digestive acid that quickly dissolves organic material and metal, but not stone. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage. Armor or clothing dissolves and becomes useless immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 16 Reflex save. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a gray ooze also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 16 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.
Once again, Blueshine would make it so that their plating is immune to the effect.

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 08:36 PM
But the point I was trying to make was this about the acid.

• Composite Plating: The plating used to build a
warforged provides a +2 armor bonus. This plating
is not natural armor and does not stack with other
effects that give an armor bonus (other than natural
armor). This composite plating occupies the same
space on the body as a suit of armor or a robe, and
thus a warforged cannot wear armor or magic robes.
Warforged can be enchanted just as armor can be.
The character must be present for the entire time it
takes to enchant him.
Composite plating also provides a warforged
with a 5% arcane spell failure chance, similar to
the penalty for wearing light armor. Any class ability
that allows a warforged to ignore the arcane spell
failure chance for light armor lets him ignore this
penalty as well.

is in the bold. so it really would do nothing on the acid end at least for the warforged.

Waker
2013-05-11, 08:43 PM
The plating doesn't comprise enough of the mass for a Warforged for Bluesteel to protect it. The parts of the Warforged that aren't plating would still be subject to acid damage/rust. Basically if you dipped a Warforge in a vat of acid, you'd be left with some shiny breastplate and other bits. The metal portions of the Warforged which aren't plating would subject to rusting.
End result is that the plating is safe. Anything not plating, not safe.

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 08:47 PM
I get that its just mechanics wise. The rust does nothing now. Acid still has full effect. I was just pointing out that its not true armor. It just acts like it. I know that seems like a small difference. But it makes dealing with stuff like this odd to say the least. The main reason it was brought up was the acid resist that protects all of the user from acid damage you can put on armor.

Waker
2013-05-11, 08:53 PM
The main reason it was brought up was the acid resist that protects all of the user from acid damage you can put on armor.
But it doesn't protect the user from acid. The Warforged is comprised of metal, stone, wood and other materials. Blueshine would only protect a portion of it from acid, the rest of it would be as susceptible to acid as humans are. Anything not plating would still melt/degrade.

kiryoku
2013-05-11, 09:02 PM
I know o-o thats why I said it does nothing agaisnt acid. because it can't get Immunity a 200,000gp item from a 1500gp Item. I was just hoping it did something maybe resist 5 or something light even resist 2 something that would make the acid even matter. But I don't think they even checked this enchantment when they made warforged. Okay so it only gives them rust protection then. They might not be happy about it but tough not giving them way underpriced goods.