PDA

View Full Version : Sensor [3.5 Template]

The Mentalist
2013-05-11, 08:08 PM
Sensor

The sensor is in touch with senses beyond the norm for his race, be it through a trick knee, prescience, or extra-normal sensitivity they are aware of things closed to others of their kind.

This template grants two points that must be spent on the application of the template, the points may be spent on the following.

1/2 Point: Low Light Vision
1/2 Point: Detect Magic/Good/Evil/Law/Chaos/Snares and Pits/Animals/Outsiders/Shapechangers/Undead (pick any one, as the spell Detect Evil)
1/2 Point: Darkvision 10' per HD
1/2 Point: Detect Weather for HDd4 hours in the future
1/2 Point: See through magical darkness (may only be selected if the creature possesses Darkvision
1/2 Point: +5 to Spot or Listen
1/2 Point: Scent
1 Point: Blindsight 5' per HD
1 Point: Tremorsense 5' per HD
1 Point: Blindsense 15' per HD
1 Point: Detect Metal (pick one, as Detect Evil)
1 Point: Detect Intent (as Detect Evil, detect the reaction level of those around)
1 Point: Detect Path (No longer provoke AoOs)
1 Point: Detect Structure (Do double damage to objects, half armor bonuses to AC when attacking)
1 Point: Object Reading (as the spell)
1 Point: Detect Fear +HD to Intimidate
1 Point: Detect Illusions
1 Point: Synthesia (One sense functions through another, see through touch, taste through sight, see feel through hearing)
2 Points: Mindsense 10' per HD
2 Points: Lifesense 10' per HD
2 Points: Detect Thought (as the spell)
2 Points: Clairvoyance or Claudaurance at will
2 Points: Augury at will
2 Points: Arcane Sight
2 Points: Detect Magic/Good/Evil/Law/Chaos/Snares and Pits/Animals/Outsiders/Shapechangers/Undead range 1 mile per HD

+1 LA

Just a rough idea I got while reading and fleshed out, am I missing any 1st party sensory options?

Thugorp
2013-05-11, 08:45 PM
I would say there is a need to explain how, "points," are gained, before we can comment on things like, distribution of said points. Also at a glance you left off scent.

The Mentalist
2013-05-11, 08:58 PM
As I thought I explained clearly at the start of the template

"This template grants two points that must be spent on the application of the template, the points may be spent on the following."

Thugorp
2013-05-11, 10:27 PM
Oh, quite right, sorry about that.

In that case I would say that perhaps low light vision should cost a bit less(say 1/4th point) and the detect line should cost 1point(as these are actually quite powerful effects give the time to use them to their fullest)

I realise that with nothing else to cost 1/4th, point, it might seems worthless, but here are some other things that could go in that category.

First I would say that weather seance probably could cost 1/4th. point, other than that here is the rest of my suggested 1/4th point list.

1/4th point:

+5 feet to vision rang(this may be taken multiple times)

Ability to see clearly under water

Ability to smell fear

Ability to smell happiness

ability to smell gas(this is not something everyone can do by the way, only most people can smell the rotten egg smell added to gas, but this ability would allow people to smell the gass natural with out the added sent, and also arrogant the smelling of scent added gas)

ability to hear hyper-sound(as in on the frequency of bats)

Golden nose(+1 on alchemy checks, and also on appraise checks to detect poison)

ability to see 5 feet farther into fog and mist(including obscuring mist and similar effects)(may be taken multiple times)

I hope this was helpful and not annoying. :-)

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-11, 10:30 PM
Not nearly enough for a +1 LA, at least with some of those.

For example - "Detect Thoughts," as the spell, is reproducible with an item.

Thugorp
2013-05-11, 10:33 PM
yes but at the same time, so is a fly speed. Detect thoughts is quite the advantage. Many early level adventure arks could be completely solved by the use of detect thoughts.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-11, 10:44 PM
yes but at the same time, so is a fly speed. Detect thoughts is quite the advantage. Many early level adventure arks could be completely solved by the use of detect thoughts.

Eh... an occasional fly speed is an item, and I think the item is more expensive (don't quote me on that.)

The amulet isn't very much at all, though. If you're burning a whole level for it, I'd give some sort of (Very slow) progression - like, up to 4-6 points by ECL 20.