PDA

View Full Version : Why the DM brutality thread locked?!

Thugorp
2013-05-11, 08:52 PM
Could someone unlock the D.M. brutality thread? It seems like a really good thread and I would really like to tell stories, plus having it unlocked would allow us to make a thread of all of the GITP communities brutal D.M. stories for postarity! :-D

Azoth
2013-05-11, 08:53 PM
Thread Necromancy is bad...Mmmmm'k.

TaiLiu
2013-05-11, 08:55 PM
Thread Necromancy is bad...Mmmmm'k.
Also, Thread Necromancy is against the rules. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1)

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-11, 08:55 PM
The correct thing to do is to start a new thread and link to the old one, not revive old threads.

Thugorp
2013-05-12, 02:12 AM
Why would I want to have to quote every single old post one at a time, when I could just post in the old thread?

Averis Vol
2013-05-12, 02:26 AM
Why would I want to have to quote every single old post one at a time, when I could just post in the old thread?

you wouldn't because that would be ridiculous. You instead post a link to the old thread, mention what it was quickly before continuing the trend.

KillianHawkeye
2013-05-12, 11:47 AM

What the heck are you talking about? Nobody is suggesting you do that. :smallconfused:

You may wish to familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1).

Thugorp
2013-05-12, 11:07 PM
Then my new thread would just eventually have a dead link in it instead of actually keeping them to share.

It is a problem I have quite a bit with this forum. The hole reason I come here is to use it as a repository for D&D content, but now that the search tool is gone, and threads are constantly being locked I find it nearly useless.

I am not saying it isn't entertaining about half the time, just not a very usfule tool from my gaming.

Chaosvii7
2013-05-12, 11:11 PM
I agree that no search tool is a very crippling blow in site navigation, but the alternative to thread necromancy they're suggesting is as easy as saying "Let's restart this thread". This time, YOU could be the one that starts it! That makes it like, 1000 times cooler.

Seriously though, it's a gripe, but it isn't like they're asking you to re-enact the thread post-for-post on your own, you just have to link to the old thread and then you can go right along, as if nothing ever happened. Even in a forum with no search tool or a forum where thread necromancy is allowed, this is still common for topics that simply get too big or too off topic.

RFLS
2013-05-12, 11:36 PM
Then my new thread would just eventually have a dead link

Actually, no, it won't. The site still caches locked threads.

Roland St. Jude
2013-05-13, 12:00 AM
It is a problem I have quite a bit with this forum. The hole reason I come here is to use it as a repository for D&D content, but now that the search tool is gone, and threads are constantly being locked I find it nearly useless.

I am not saying it isn't entertaining about half the time, just not a very usfule tool from my gaming.Sheriff: It is what it is. The Forum Rule prohibiting Thread Necromancy isn't going to change any time soon, and the integrated search function is out of order indefinitely.