PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Polymorph Any Object and Familiars

PlusSixPelican
2013-05-11, 10:56 PM
Could one use Polymorph Any Object on their familiar, twice, to make them into something else on a long-term basis? I wouldn't be doing this for much of a mechanical advantage, just for the fun of having a more humanoid assistant I can share spells with.

Alleran
2013-05-11, 11:47 PM
I don't see why not.

Sylthia
2013-05-11, 11:49 PM
Is object meant to mean an inanimate object and not a living creature? As a DM, I'd probably not allow it.

TuggyNE
2013-05-12, 12:01 AM
Is object meant to mean an inanimate object and not a living creature? As a DM, I'd probably not allow it.

No, the spell description is clear beyond all possibility of dispute: creatures can be targeted, and creatures can be changed:
This spell functions like greater polymorph, except that it changes one object or creature into another. You can use this spell to transform all manner of objects and creatures into new forms- you aren't limited to transforming a living creature into another living form.

Sylthia
2013-05-12, 12:07 AM
The duration would depend on how your DM interprets the polymorphed object to be, whether they are going by its current state, or its original state. The rules are ambiguous, but in similar arguments, I've seen its original type being used.

PlusSixPelican
2013-05-12, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the input. Related, would a series of Permanent Duration changes stack up?

Clistenes
2013-05-12, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the input. Related, would a series of Permanent Duration changes stack up?

Some people say that they do, while other people say that each casting works as if it were casted on the true/original form.
You are trying to create your own catgirl girlfriend, aren't you?

Keneth
2013-05-12, 09:26 AM
Since we're on the topic, would polymorphing an imp or quasit familiar into an erinyes or succubus respectively be a permanent transformation? They're from the same kingdom and same class at the least. The Int boost from being a familiar would bring an imp to same Int score as an erinyes, so that 9 points. And you could give a quasit an Int boosting item to get him on a par with a succubus. If they count as related, it gets even easier...

It's probably simpler to bind one of those, or use leadership...

Jack_Simth
2013-05-12, 09:49 AM
Could one use Polymorph Any Object on their familiar, twice, to make them into something else on a long-term basis? I wouldn't be doing this for much of a mechanical advantage, just for the fun of having a more humanoid assistant I can share spells with.
Once would probably do. Your familiar is, by default, a magical beast (although Improved Familiar and a few others can change that). What's available? Just core...

Girallon, Gray Render, Lamia & Sphix would mostly do, depending on how humanoid you want.

You need... what, Kingdom, Class, Same-or-lower-Int to make it permanent? As a ... I'm assuming here... 15th level Wizard... your familiar should have an Int of about 13. You probably want to keep it at least reasonably intelligent, so the Gray Render and Girallon are out. Sphinx Int varies from 6 to 18 depending on breed, but it's debatable whether or not they have hands. A Lamia has... Int 13, humanoid upper torso, and is a magical beast. Just about perfect, actually, for a single casting.