PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a PRC

Yogibear41
2013-05-11, 11:03 PM
looking for a prestige class that can be qualified for pretty easily that grants alot of innate resistances to elements, fire, frost, acid resistances etc.

7 dragon racial hit die and potentially 1 level of a base class is what im looking at before prestiging it.

If the PRC gives light armor and shield proficiency I can probably skip the 1 level of base class.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-11, 11:10 PM
Dragonslayer would fit the bill and be amusing too. Requires BAB +5, Dodge (take Expeditious Dodge instead if your speed >30), Iron Will, and two ranks in tumble. At 5th level you get Resistance 5 to fire, acid, cold, electricity and sonic (which is hard to come by). At 10th it increases to Resistance 10. It also increases casting every other level, and grants weapon/armor proficiency as a fighter. Also has good BAB, Fort, and Will.

Yogibear41
2013-05-11, 11:18 PM
Thats great! thanks! got to have a backup plan in case that ceiling crushes me lol

Is their a spell casting class that will give me dodge or iron will as a bonus feat at level 1? Now Im just getting greedy lol

Jeff the Green
2013-05-11, 11:45 PM
Iron Will can be "bought" by including the Otyugh Hole in your backstory. 3000 GP. Near as I can tell, Dodge can only be gotten as a bonus from Fighter. What kind of dragon? You should be able to advance your racial casting with Dragonslayer.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-11, 11:51 PM
If my guess is correct, I'd guess Ambush Drake.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-12, 12:23 AM

So no innate casting. In that case, I'd suggest taking a single level of a prestige class with Charisma or Wisdom-based casting. A few options (blue = easy access, yellow = medium access, red = hard access):

Vigilante (CA)
Dark Hunter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030315a)
Consecrated Harrier (CD)
Divine Crusader (CD)
Holy Liberator (CD)
Temple Raider of Olidammara
Suel Arcanamach (CAr)
Knight of the Chalice (CW)

I know there are more, but I'm not sure where.

Edit: Champion of Bahamut (BoED) is cool.

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 12:36 AM

This is correct

Thinking of dipping sorcerer just to pick up some utility spells, however arcane spell failure could be a problem as I plan to actually grab some armor once I have proficiency with it even if I have to make it myself, I don't plan on picking spells to use in combat, but I don't want to have to take of my armor every time I want to cast something just to make sure it doesn't fail. although displacment could be a good choice for my 1 3rd level spell and it has no somatic component. Leomuds tiny hunt seems so tempting for that level 3 slot though lol.

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 12:49 AM
Iron Will can be "bought" by including the Otyugh Hole in your backstory. 3000 GP.

Start at level 1 unfortunanetly :smallfrown:

Jeff the Green
2013-05-12, 04:18 AM
Start at level 1 unfortunanetly :smallfrown:

Don't you have level 4 companions? Starting at level 1 will just make you die fast.

sonofzeal
2013-05-12, 04:28 AM
Just a note: Wizards can trade their lvl 1 bonus wizard feat for a bonus Fighter feat... including Dodge.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-12, 04:32 AM
Just a note: Wizards can trade their lvl 1 bonus wizard feat for a bonus Fighter feat... including Dodge.

Well, yes, but casting as a wizard of (ECL - 7) / 2 kind of sucks. And Ambush Drakes get -4 Intelligence.

sonofzeal
2013-05-12, 04:43 AM
Well, yes, but casting as a wizard of (ECL - 7) / 2 kind of sucks. And Ambush Drakes get -4 Intelligence.
Solutions exist, and are left as an exercise to the reader. ;)

Jeff the Green
2013-05-12, 04:54 AM
Solutions exist, and are left as an exercise to the reader. ;)

Translation: The author is too lazy to figure out the solutions. :smalltongue:

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 11:23 AM
Don't you have level 4 companions? Starting at level 1 will just make you die fast.

Well if we all die in the hole then we will all start over lol.

They were level 3 when I started at level 1 too. with the current character.

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 11:25 AM

I don't want to have to carry a spell book around though :(

Also what book is that ACF in?

Slipperychicken
2013-05-12, 11:43 AM
I don't want to have to carry a spell book around though :(

Also what book is that ACF in?

I believe the ACF is in Unearthed Arcana page 59.

If you want to be a Wizard but not carry a spellbook, the Eidetic Wizard variant (somewhere in Dragon Magazine) trades scribe scroll and your familiar to not need a spellbook. Instead of scribing into your spellbook, you smoke magic weed special incense to learn spells.

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 01:30 PM
Thats amazing...

Vknight
2013-05-12, 01:35 PM
Combat Sorcerer wherever that is gives you a fight bonus feat for your familiar. Less spells per day for a d6 hit die.

I can't remember where it is though.
(Preparing for own game can't help much more then that)

Jeff the Green
2013-05-12, 01:50 PM
I believe the ACF is in Unearthed Arcana page 59.

If you want to be a Wizard but not carry a spellbook, the Eidetic Wizard variant (somewhere in Dragon Magazine) trades scribe scroll and your familiar to not need a spellbook. Instead of scribing into your spellbook, you smoke magic weed special incense to learn spells.

You can't combine the two, though. To get Dodge at 1st you need to trade out Scribe Scroll and to be an Eidetic Wizard you have to trade out your familiar and scribe scroll.

Coidzor
2013-05-12, 01:56 PM
Well if we all die in the hole then we will all start over lol.

They were level 3 when I started at level 1 too. with the current character.

So are you starting with 7 RHD or are you starting with only 1 RHD as some kind of infant Ambush Drake and advancing those until you can start taking regular levels? :smallconfused:

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 02:49 PM
1 RHD but still need DM approval

that quote was a refernce to my other thread about our group being trapped in a hole, they were already level 3 when I started playing a different level 1 character, they are now 4 and I am now 2, but there is a chance there will be a TPK tommorrow.

The eidetic spell caster is in dragon #357 but paizo does not seem to have a pdf version available for purchase :smallfrown:

Slipperychicken
2013-05-12, 03:41 PM
The eidetic spell caster is in dragon #357 but paizo does not seem to have a pdf version available for purchase :smallfrown:

Good to know, then, that you aren't one of those pirates who illegally download sourcebooks when it's so easy, when enforcement is almost non-existent, and when WotC killed production of 3.5 sourcebooks years ago.

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 04:25 PM
Well.. no ones perfect and my friends happen to have a ton of books that they share with me. We each buy some books and then pool them together more or less. I don't see any harm in that. A DM in another game I play in said he has basically spent a thousand or more dollars on books, thats pretty crazy imo.

Also if the company had indeed stopped making something like you said, its becomes pretty hard to buy it.

Vaz
2013-05-12, 04:44 PM
At least you didn't at least google it just to see easy it is for these naughty pirates to access it. Because that would be wrong.

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 05:20 PM
Couldn't find it anywhere honestly, looked to buy it first then looked for other means if only to get the one paragraph that covers the ACF and still couldn't find it lol.

Will probably end up going for the bonus fighter feat anyway so I can pick dodge up for free (relatively)

Then dump the familiar off for some other ACF I find halfway decent.

Going through PHB and SpC right now trying to figure out which school im going to specialize in/ ban leaning toward banning necromancy and enchantment atm.

Vaz
2013-05-12, 06:20 PM
Enchantment and Evocation (usually Evocation, unless you need it for Miracle or something similar) are the go-to banning ones. Necromancy tends to have quite a few save or suck/lose/die spells, but I guess some of those can be ignored if there is another caster around.

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 07:12 PM
Avoiding most save related spell as I will only have an int of 13 or 14 at best, will not be picking up wizard til ecl 8 and plan on only dipping 1 level then going into dragonslayer which will advance my castin by 5/10 so at ECL 18 I will have 6th level wizard casting to go with my BAB of 17. So im looking at primarily utility spells.

Such as Alarm, Endure Elements, Benighn Transposition, Knock, Leomunds Tiny Hut, Blur/Displacment, and various disguise spells.

Probably gonna specialize in Illusion maybe conjuration.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-12, 07:13 PM
There's a "Savage Progression" of the Ambush Drake available online (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fc/20060728a), for ease of play straight from ECL 1 (Scroll down to the bottom).

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 07:14 PM
Thats what I intend to use.

Ambush Drake 7/Wizard 1/Dragon Slayer 10 for first 18 levels

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-12, 09:38 PM
That is hilariously ironic. Just saying.

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 10:57 PM
the Dragon becoming a dragon slayer?

Figured I'd right something in his backstory about a true dragon slaughtering/eating his brethren and how the "true dragons" think themselves so highly superior to the "lesser" dragonkin to motivate him to want revenge against the so called "true dragons"

Was orignially gonna go sorcerer instead of wizard since true dragons innately had sorcerer abilities and thought it would fit better, but then I got to thinking about it and having levels of wizard could fit to, since ambush drakes don't naturally get arcane powers he could study up(as a wizard) to try to learn the powers that the true dragons get naturally. + it would help the build out better by letting me get dodge for free(wizard acf for fighter feats) to qualify for the dragonslayer class

Coidzor
2013-05-12, 11:00 PM
Why are you looking for energy resistances from classes anyway?

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 11:10 PM
I enjoy being naturally tank, and im going to start off the first few levels taking roll with it for 2/- DR each I can take flaws so ill start with DR 4/- at level 1.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-12, 11:11 PM
the Dragon becoming a dragon slayer?

He could be a draconic serial-killer. Just putting it out there. I mean, the Dragonborn from Skyrim didn't get nearly this much s*** about killing his relatives. Eating the souls of his brethren was literally his purpose in the world. So I think we can cut our Ambush Drake a little slack here.

A draconicidal maniac, perhaps?

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 11:12 PM
Well technically the dragonborn is just a human with a dragons soul :smallsmile:

lol saw a cartoon on youtube once where after the townsfolk keep giving him crap he ends up teaming up with a dragon instead of killing it lol

Coidzor
2013-05-13, 12:28 AM
Well, if you like tanking, then Crusader sounds like it'd be up your alley.