PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Best Orisons(/Cantrips)

Yanisa
2013-05-12, 05:55 AM
Heya Playgrounders,

I am going to play a False Priest/Sorcerer, basically a sorcerer pretending to be a cleric, and stumbled on a trait (Two-World Magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/two-world-magic)) that gives me any Orison (or cantrip) from any class. Which perfectly fits the idea, casting a divine level 0 spell.

So I was looking for a cool orison that screams "divine" and that will be used a lot.

Yajirobe
2013-05-12, 06:38 AM
Well, I'd say Cure Minor Wounds...

It screams Divine, since only clerics and druids may cast it...

Not needing to roll for heal for stabilize dying allies is quite nice as well.

Keneth
2013-05-12, 06:46 AM
There's no cure minor wounds in PF. Stabilize, purify food and drink, or create water are all thematically good for a fake priest.

Yajirobe
2013-05-12, 06:52 AM
Oops... sorry... Didn't notice the PF tag.

Well, yeah... I'd vote for Stabilize or Purify Food and Drink for a fake priest

The Boz
2013-05-12, 07:34 AM
Detect Magic is by far the most broken, strong, useful and versatile level 0 spell in the game.
Mage Hand and Prestidigitation are a distant second.

Keneth
2013-05-12, 07:46 AM
He's a sorcerer, he can already take all those cantrips.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-05-12, 07:49 AM
Create Food and Water is probably what you're looking for. I'd also recommend points in Use Magic Device and some cure scrolls. You can get scrolls cast by an Oracle that are a little more expensive, but they mean you don't need to make another UMD check to have high enough wisdom to cast the spell.

Detect Magic is by far the most broken, strong, useful and versatile level 0 spell in the game.
Mage Hand and Prestidigitation are a distant second.

*points to sig* :smallcool:

The Boz
2013-05-12, 07:57 AM
That was exactly my point; if you can't use prestidigitation to make something appear like something else (say, spell A appear as divine magic) you're doing it wrong.

Keneth
2013-05-12, 08:23 AM
Create Food and Water is probably what you're looking for.

Create food and water is a third level spell...

You can get scrolls cast by an Oracle that are a little more expensive, but they mean you don't need to make another UMD check to have high enough wisdom to cast the spell.

Actually, you don't need Wisdom either way. Scrolls are either divine, or arcane, they're not bound to a specific class, so a sorcerer can cast from a divine scroll without emulating a high Wisdom score. Also, if I recall correctly, the prices of magic items should be uniform across all classes, unless you intentionally raise the caster level. Although I'm not entirely sure atm if an oracle can, in fact, create for example a 2nd level spell scroll with a CL 3rd (I think you can, but I don't have time to check). Plus, false priests receive a bonus to UMD checks to use items that cast divine spells.

That was exactly my point; if you can't use prestidigitation to make something appear like something else (say, spell A appear as divine magic) you're doing it wrong.

But he already gets prestidigitation, so the point is moot. He wants advice on what non-sorcerer 0-level spell he should take.

Yanisa
2013-05-12, 08:41 AM

There's an idea I haven't thought off. Hmmm... :smallbiggrin:

Prestidigitation could easily fake purify food and drink. It will taste good, by warm and look shiny... and most people will make their fort save, I hope. It might even create a little but of water (depending of water could function as a crude object?). Besides that I don't think food and water will be a major issue in the party.

Actually, you don't need Wisdom either way. Scrolls are either divine, or arcane, they're not bound to a specific class, so a sorcerer can cast from a divine scroll without emulating a high Wisdom score. Also, if I recall correctly, the prices of magic items should be uniform across all classes, unless you intentionally raise the caster level. Although I'm not entirely sure atm if an oracle can, in fact, create for example a 2nd level spell scroll with a CL 3rd (I think you can, but I don't have time to check). Plus, false priests receive a bonus to UMD checks to use items that cast divine spells.

I am playing Society, which basically means all scrolls and wands are made by clerics, druids or wizards. I believe there are a couple of spells some classes (think Paladin, Witch, Ranger) get earlier and technically can make into lower level wands/scrolls thus cheaper.

And yeah, with the false priest bonus to UMD and the natural high charisma I will be using at least a wand of cure light wounds when I get my hands on enough gold for one.

But regarding the Orison

Stabilize sounds as a great pick. Personally my first thought went to Guidance, but even though it's a divine spell, it lacks that divine feeling. (Maybe that's over exposure, it something that gets spammed a lot)

I also saw Brand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/brand), which is a really mean little orison. But I don't think it's good for relations to brand everything with my name.
I do wonder if there more of those hidden ones, unique to one class.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-12, 09:02 AM
Create Water can be pretty useful, especially for putting out all those fires which adventurers all too often cause.

Keneth
2013-05-12, 09:04 AM
Prestidigitation could easily fake purify food and drink. It will taste good, by warm and look shiny... and most people will make their fort save, I hope.

While you certainly can do that, false priests aren't necessarily charlatans. Unless you're planning on "healing" people without actually healing them, you probably shouldn't go around selling snake oil. It can also come back and bite you in the glutes.

I am playing Society

My condolences...

which basically means all scrolls and wands are made by clerics, druids or wizards

Which is irrelevant, because as I mentioned, scrolls are either arcane or divine, so having a high Charisma score is enough to cast the majority of divine spells. And wands don't care about ability scores either way.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-05-12, 10:09 AM
Create food and water is a third level spell...

I meant to say Purify Food and Drink.

Eldonauran
2013-05-12, 11:22 AM
Create Water can be pretty useful, especially for putting out all those fires which adventurers all too often cause.

I second this. Just last night, I was able to use create water to create a short lived drizzle of rain that revealed the location of an invisible creature. Our fighter and rogue held their actions just long enough for the spell to go off, so they knew which square to target.

It's a poor man's glitter dust / fairie fire.

Also, you'll never go thirsty again! Haha. :smallbiggrin:

Squirrel_Dude
2013-05-12, 11:32 AM
Create Water
Daze
Detect Magic
Guidance
Mage Hand
Prestidigitation
Spark
Touch of Fatigue

Oh, and Haunted Fey Aspect :trollface:

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-12, 11:45 AM
Guidance is very good; you can just spam it on everyone between needing to roll a d20 for something for a free +1.

Spark was good before the nerf to Glorious Heat (let you get infinite out of combat healing for the price of a candle), but that was based on casting a divine fire spell, so it wouldn't work for you anyway.

Yanisa
2013-05-12, 12:35 PM
You guys keep me doubting, but I at least narrowed it down.

Create Water, Guidance and Stabilize seem to be the favorites and any one of those is a great pick.
Besides Detect Magic (which I can get from my cantrips) and purify food and drink (I don't suspect a lot use for it in the game I am going to play)
But choosing is hard, so keep the suggestion coming in.

P.S. I also like the cantrips suggestions, I still need to pick those out too, and that also a hard one with way too many good picks.

I guess that one starts with Detect Magic and Prestidigitation and ends with a lot of good secondary choices. (Mage hand, Open/Close, Daze?, dancing lights, flare?)

P.P.S If you guys are interested, I could make a ratings list based on your comment, I like making lists and you give a lot of food for thought.

Eldonauran
2013-05-12, 12:47 PM
Oh, and Haunted Fey Aspect :trollface:

:smallamused: All my yes! DR 1/cold iron for a cantrip? Please do.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-05-12, 12:57 PM
:smallamused: All my yes! DR 1/cold iron for a cantrip? Please do.Hold on there, before you get too excited. It's

DR 1/cold iron vs 1 specific enemy. You lose it as soon as you take damage from any enemy. So it's DR 1/ vs that fighter (for this round), until the wizard just hits you with ray of frost.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-12, 03:56 PM
Hold on there, before you get too excited. It's

DR 1/cold iron vs 1 specific enemy. You lose it as soon as you take damage from any enemy. So it's DR 1/ vs that fighter (for this round), until the wizard just hits you with ray of frost.

It also wastes an action in combat. Trade 1 standard action to resist 1 damage on one attack? No thank you :smallyuk:

StreamOfTheSky
2013-05-12, 04:40 PM
Not only the standard action cost... compare it to Virtue (gain 1 temp hp), which no one would ever accuse of being good.

It's like Virtue but more limited.

Yanisa
2013-05-12, 04:41 PM
It also wastes an action in combat. Trade 1 standard action to resist 1 damage on one attack? No thank you :smallyuk:

It also has a duration of 1 round/level, so its barely even able to work as a before combat/first round buff spell.

Too bad though, the name sounds like it's ten times more awesome.