PDA

View Full Version : Illusion, colours and rant in 885-886

Miriel
2013-05-12, 12:22 PM
Yesterday, I think I read people speculating about what was an wasn't in the illusion, and also about the colour changes. So I decided to take matters in my own hands.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/centsfan/Couleurs886.png

EDIT : My image doesn't work. I'm solving it.
EDIT2 : Much better now.

The first square is taken from other strips (833 for Xykon, 855 for the OOTS) (or, for the walls and floor, from the panel of 886). The second is from the last panel of 885. The rest are from 886, panel by panel, or blank when I could get the colour. By the way, I also tried to get Elan's vest, and it was consistently the same colour as Roy's tabard/armour.

Obviously, other colours I didn't pick could also have changed. I don't know.

The colours change abruptly for several panels, not by gradient. The most obvious case is the green hilt. They change individually, not at the same time. Notice Xykon's cape and robe, which do not change in the same panel: you can see it clearly on the strip itself. This helps make the change more gradual, even though individual colours themselves change abruptly. Obviously, the more the illusion goes on, the more purple the picture gets.

Not all colours change with the same frequency. Some change four times (hilt, boots), some two (cape, robe). However, most know about three changes. Some changes are hard to see, especially the wall and floors (in 4 and 15?). It is not clear whether colour changes reflect events in the illusion -- or at least, not much. Most colours associated with the same caracter change at different times (Xykon's robe and cape change twice, at one panel's interval, and his crown changes 4 times). Obviously, my sample is flawed, here.

Now, the important story conclusion... The colours in the last panel of 885 are the same as the normal colours. Some colours (Roy's shirt) change starting in the first panel of 886. Since Xykon is not there, this would mean the illusion starts in the first panel of 885 -- thus, Roy's rant would be real.

The_Tentacle
2013-05-12, 02:06 PM
Cool table.

Personally, I don't think Xykon is actually there at all (yet). I don't know how much of 885 is illusion, and I don't really think that it's relevant to the story. Just that Xykon isn't there (yet). Likewise, Roy's rant isn't really relevant, but I personally think it's the illusion because the team is listening to him :smalltongue:. But seriously, I think the illusion starts at the penultimate panel of 885 (I have no proof or evidence, but... yeah :smallannoyed:).

rodneyAnonymous
2013-05-12, 03:02 PM
...this would mean the illusion starts in the first panel of 885...

The beginning of the purple tint isn't necessarily the beginning of the illusion.

Miriel
2013-05-12, 06:25 PM
Likewise, Roy's rant isn't really relevant, but I personally think it's the illusion because the team is listening to him :smalltongue:. But seriously, I think the illusion starts at the penultimate panel of 885 (I have no proof or evidence, but... yeah :smallannoyed:).
I think the rant is relevant. It tells us about Roy, it tells us about the post-Durkon Order.

But if it was imagined, it won't affect anyone in the long run

The beginning of the purple tint isn't necessarily the beginning of the illusion.
Perhaps so, but it is one of our few indicators at the moment -- at least until 887 is out. Otherwise nothing in 885 strikes me as obvious fantasy.

Oh, the most obvious proof: the walking order. Haley is first until the 10th panel of 885.

Also, they are under the same runes in the last panels of 885 and 886 (Haley and Elan have walked one rune more, Roy has walked one fewer). Obviously, it's probably a regular pattern, but the point is: they are at the same point in that pattern (from the first pannel : [ktmotdmtkkelt-jc]ktmotdb... -- the actual sequence is probably ...-jcktmotdmtkkelt-...). In the 10th pannel, we see a T rune, but it's hard to see where it is in the series, since there are 3 T runes in it.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h117/centsfan/Runes886.png

rodneyAnonymous
2013-05-12, 06:30 PM
I appreciate that you're putting a lot of work into trying to figure out where the illusion started, but I think we don't have any indicators at all yet. The purple wash isn't evidence because it only shows us when the illusion ends (not starts), the marching order isn't evidence because it's possible that the illusion began the moment they went through the door (and all of 885 is an illusion, Haley was never actually in the lead... not to mention that would be really easy to change off-panel), and the party's position relative to the runes isn't evidence because it's a somewhat short and repeating sequence. Cool analysis, but not nearly proof of when the illusion started, we just don't (can't) know that.

There is some discussion of the subject starting about halfway down page 31 of the 886 discussion thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282219&page=31), to page 33.

PS: The runes say "nosecretmessage" in a font called "Miskatonic" (http://www.blambot.com/fonts_symbol.shtml).

Miriel
2013-05-12, 07:01 PM
I appreciate that you're putting a lot of work into trying to figure out where the illusion started, but I think we don't have any indicators at all yet. The purple wash isn't evidence because it only shows us when the illusion ends (not starts), the marching order isn't evidence because it's possible that the illusion began the moment they went through the door (and all of 885 is an illusion, Haley was never actually in the lead... not to mention that would be really easy to change off-panel), and the party's position relative to the runes isn't evidence because it's a somewhat short and repeating sequence. Cool analysis, but not nearly proof of when the illusion started, we just don't (can't) know that.
Obviously we will have to wait some time until we are certain, but we do have indicators that help us guess which is the most plausible hypothesis. And that is, according to the (admittedly imperfect) evidence, that the illusion started in the last pannel of 885.

PS: The runes say "nosecretmessage" in a font called "Miskatonic" (http://www.blambot.com/fonts_symbol.shtml).
Haha!