PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a Particular Kind of Book

Chainsaw Hobbit
2013-05-12, 01:06 PM
I'm looking for a rather specific kind of fantasy novel. It can be part of a series, or it can stand on its own. The series doesn't need to be finished, but it would be nice if it were.

Requirements include ...

There shouldn't be a huge exposition dump at the beginning. I don't mind that sometimes, but in my current state of being, that would be a great way to lose my interest.
It should be well-paced. It need not be a "page-turner" or a "fast read", but the pacing should be deliberate and engaging.
It should have some really creative imagery. I don't care if the book is "good", but it should spark my imagination.
The protagonist should be a bit of a blank slate. It can be narrated in first or third person, but I don't want them to have too much personality. Sort of a vessel for vicarious expirience.
The tone should be somewhat dark, and the writing should at least serviceable.

I've already read the first two installments of the Kingkiller Chronicle. I tried reading Green by Jay Lake, but I found it rather uncomfortable; sex scenes are fine, but not when the protagonist is so young.

If you could point me in the right direction, that would be great. :smallsmile:

Kitten Champion
2013-05-12, 02:57 PM
Books of Umber (P.W. Catanese)
Septimus Heap (Angie Sage)
Harry Potter (J.K. Rowling)
His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman)
Demon Cycle/Warded Man trilogy (Peter Brett)
Lightbringer Saga, Night Angel Trilogy (Brent Weeks)
Elantris (Brandon Sanderson)
Demon Wars Saga (R.A. Salvatore)
Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman)
Viriconium Cycle (M. John Harrison)
The Green Rider (Kristen Britain)
Perdido Street Station (China Mieville)

These are what came off the top of my head. I don't especially like some of them but they are all page-turners with limited exposition and protagonists with a degree of sponginess.

Geostationary
2013-05-12, 10:13 PM
There shouldn't be a huge exposition dump at the beginning. I don't mind that sometimes, but in my current state of being, that would be a great way to lose my interest.
It should be well-paced. It need not be a "page-turner" or a "fast read", but the pacing should be deliberate and engaging.
It should have some really creative imagery. I don't care if the book is "good", but it should spark my imagination.
The protagonist should be a bit of a blank slate. It can be narrated in first or third person, but I don't want them to have too much personality. Sort of a vessel for vicarious expirience.
The tone should be somewhat dark, and the writing should at least serviceable.

I find it rather amusing that House of Leaves technically fulfills these requirements. On the other hand, it's a rather peculiar book that I'd recommend with some reservation, as it's certainly not for everyone.

For a more serious suggestion, anything by Garth Nix. I'd suggest either the Abhorsen trilogy or the Keys to the Kingdom. I wouldn't really classify their protagonists as 'blank slates', but I'm also not sure what that means and the books are too good to pass up.

Serpentine
2013-05-13, 04:33 AM
How about Robin Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice series? I preferred the next series of hers, the Liveship Traders, but the "blank slate" bit makes me think of Farseer.