PDA

View Full Version : Attack bonus & Xtra attacks...

Kerilstrasz
2013-05-12, 02:12 PM
I can't recall which topic it was but i remember i read that if a fighter (assume lvl 4) has +7 "to hit" then he get another attack (as full round action) at +2..
is that true?

If it is..
assume ranger lvl1 with +4 dex, pbs, weap.focus and +4 longbow (total attck bonus = +11). If he takes a full round action, he shoots3 arrows at +11/+6/+1 ??

Please elaborate or at least provide pages and books.

Thnx

eggynack
2013-05-12, 02:16 PM
It's not based upon attack bonus, it's based upon base attack bonus. Your bonuses to attack separate from your BAB make no difference. Here's the relevant quote:
"A base attack bonus is an attack roll bonus derived from character class and level or creature type and Hit Dice (or combinations thereof). Base attack bonuses increase at different rates for different character classes and creature types. A second attack is gained when a base attack bonus reaches +6, a third with a base attack bonus of +11 or higher, and a fourth with a base attack bonus of +16 or higher. Base attack bonuses gained from different sources, such as when a character is a multiclass character, stack."

Rhynn
2013-05-12, 02:17 PM
Iterative attacks are based on base attack, not total attack bonus.

Your BAB (Base Attack Bonus) is based on your levels and classes. Each level of fighter, for instance, gives you +1 BAB. Iterative attacks are gained at +6 BAB (+6/+1) and at every +5 (+11/+6/+1, +16/+11/+6/+1), up to a limit of four. A 6th-level fighter has BAB +6, and get an iterative attack (+6/+1).

Kyberwulf
2013-05-12, 03:00 PM
I have been wondering how it would effect the game, if you allowed Weapon focus or similar abilities push up the BA for that weapon/weapon group. So if you take weapon focus (Greataxe), at level 5 as a fighter, you would have a BA of +6/+1 with that weapon.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-12, 04:10 PM
You only get iteratives at the levels when the class chart says so.

Rhynn
2013-05-12, 04:21 PM
You only get iteratives at the levels when the class chart says so.

Ouch, that gets confusing for a lot of new players... I've seen new players thinking along the lines that, e.g., if they're a 4th-level cleric (BAB +3)/4th-level fighter (BAB +4) they have BAB +7 with no iteratives (when, of course, it would be +7/+2).

I find the +16/+11/+6/+1 explanation simpler.

Checking the fighter tables works, though - find your BAB on them and see if it's listed with iteratives.