PDA

View Full Version : ID this foe!

mattie_p
2013-05-12, 02:46 PM
So we've all had enemies that the DM threw at us where (unless they gave us the info afterwards) we had no idea what we were facing/faced. This thread is to help us better know our foes.

Last night our DM tossed a foe at us that I cannot for the life of me find. Here are the known salient characteristics.

System: 3.5
CR 11
Pounce
Improved Grab
4 claw attacks and a bite
DR (of some kind, most likely 5/magic)
alernate form/shape change/something similar
Regeneration of some kind (DM said 6, but that might be a red herring)

Help me ID this creature! Also, if you have your own strange monster that you fought, post it here, maybe we can help each other out.

AmberVael
2013-05-12, 02:57 PM
Hmmmm.

Beast of Malar?

It's from Monsters of Faerun.
It has all of the mentioned characteristics, in their exact values. Admittedly, it only gets Pounce in one of its forms, but that would be enough.

mattie_p
2013-05-12, 03:10 PM
That might well be it - I neglected to mention it was an FR campaign.

Thanks for your help, AmberVael. Anyone else need help?

*Quickly scurries off to read the entry*

EDIT: I do believe that is exactly my foe. Playgrounders win again!

Azoth
2013-05-12, 05:48 PM
All I could think about reading the first post was:

NAME THAT POKE'MON?!

Yogibear41
2013-05-12, 08:16 PM
How about:

CR:9
AC:25
2 slam attacks that deal con damage in addition to normal damage.
Has a trample ability
Looks like a willow tree, so potentially some form of treant.
Also it can move, and is smart enough to steal my backpack after ambushing me while I was sleeping.
I assume its creature type is plant.

Was a long time ago so I could be forgetting things, its probably from a splat book.

Rakoa
2013-05-12, 08:28 PM
The closest thing I can think of is the Ironmaw from Fiend Folio. It forces a save on each hit or else you lose constitution, and it has AC 25. It is a tree, and it is smart for a tree with INT 4.

However, it does not trample. It also has CR 14 and hits with tendrils, not slams. So it may not be what you're looking for, exactly.

TypoNinja
2013-05-12, 08:44 PM
How about:

CR:9
AC:25
2 slam attacks that deal con damage in addition to normal damage.
Has a trample ability
Looks like a willow tree, so potentially some form of treant.
Also it can move, and is smart enough to steal my backpack after ambushing me while I was sleeping.
I assume its creature type is plant.

Was a long time ago so I could be forgetting things, its probably from a splat book.

There's a really wacky undead that looks like a tree, its name escapes me at the moment, but the con on hit makes me think this might be it, MM 3 or 4 I think?

Allanimal
2013-05-12, 09:07 PM
This (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindMonster.php) may be useful when searching for monsters...

big teej
2013-05-13, 04:28 PM
This (http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndLive/FindMonster.php) may be useful when searching for monsters...

shoooosh, you're ruining the game