PDA

View Full Version : Druid and savage armor

Anium
2013-05-12, 03:42 PM
So i'm having a bit of an issue with a fellow player. He wants to polymorph into some high dex form and use a Salvage dragonhide full plate, he says that he can use it in all forms without penalties, even without the heavy armor competence feat, no armor check penalty, and no dex limit.

That would make his AC skyrocket and our dm just said, unless i find some rule that disallows it its game, but enemies will be powerfull enough to beat him. That leaves the rest of the players ****ed up. Is there an official FAQ or rule that can break his combo?

Morcleon
2013-05-12, 03:46 PM
What's this "savage" armor thing from? What can it do?

Rhynn
2013-05-12, 03:48 PM
Yeah, a rules reference would help. What you describe sounds unlikely to work. Give us the book, and we'll tear it apart! :smallcool:

Emmerask
2013-05-12, 03:52 PM
Uhm there is no dragonhide fullplate afaik (maybe magic item compendium?)

there is dragonhide plate which is identical to a fullplate (only made from dragonhide) but it very much has a dex bonus of 1.

Could you give some more information what creature he wants to polymorph into, stats of dragonhide (full)plate etc? ^^

Anium
2013-05-12, 03:53 PM
Sorry, i meant Wild enchantment.(English not my first language so i just did a bad translation...)

Rhynn
2013-05-12, 03:56 PM
Huh, interesting issue.

Wild: The wearer of a suit of armor or a shield with this ability preserves his armor bonus (and any enhancement bonus) while in a wild shape. Armor and shields with this ability usually appear to be made covered in leaf patterns. While the wearer is in a wild shape, the armor cannot be seen.

Moderate transmutation; CL 9th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, baleful polymorph; Price +3 bonus.

It doesn't say anything about also preserving max Dex bonus, armor check penalty, and other negatives.

It seems obvious enough to me, though, that all the usual penalties would apply: max Dex bonus, ACP, speed adjustment, and non-proficiency penalty. However, it is a +3 bonus ability...

DM's call, the rules don't really say anything either way. (Maybe the FAQ's or the Sage have something, but that's always a roll of the dice.)

Emmerask
2013-05-12, 03:58 PM
Hm did you mean Polymorph?
Because the enchantment specifically says wildshape so it does not work with polymorph :smallwink:

Anium
2013-05-12, 04:09 PM
Hit me for that, he is a druid. Guess i'm too eager to smack him with a book to actually write correctly...

sleepyphoenixx
2013-05-12, 05:10 PM
It's rules-legal, but by the time he can afford the armor the other players should have no problems getting their defenses up to par. It's kind of a waste of money depending on the books allowed since you can get the same bonus from spells earlier than you can afford the ~18000gp for Wild Dragonhide Fullplate. Since most high dex forms have very little natural armor it kind of balances out anyway.

Edit: If you're worried about being too easy to hit invest in an item that grants miss chance. You should get one anyway and it's much more cost effective than pumping AC to worthwhile levels.
For more specific tips you'll need to tell us your class.

Anium
2013-05-12, 06:18 PM
Well, it kinda worked, but had to dive in a lot of books. Using his same way of thinking and reading the shapechange rules the armor is melded with the druid and not usable, not usable doesnt mean that you dont get penalties.