PDA

View Full Version : Armored Blade - any downside?

JusticeZero
2013-05-12, 03:56 PM
Was looking at setting up a Cutthroat Soulknife build in P6. Glanced over the Armored Blade variant. From what it looks like, I can't see any reason why anyone *wouldn't* take this; you can make decent armor as a move action if you don't have any for whatever reason, and I just haven't seen any downside to that. It wouldn't even prevent one from wearing normal armor if you've bought/found some good stuff. Am I missing something, or is really as much of a no brainer as it looks?

Scowling Dragon
2013-05-12, 03:59 PM
Well that your class abilities is what Other characters can pretty much get for money (A potentially infinite resource).

Its good for campaigns with limited cash, but other classes will start beating it easily with high money campaigns.

Cog
2013-05-12, 04:06 PM
Am I missing something, or is really as much of a no brainer as it looks?
Just about. The only downside I do see is that you can't take any other archetypes that modify Form, Shape, or Enhance Mind Blade. There is precedent, sort of; Barbarians purely gain from taking the Totem Warrior archetype, for example.

JusticeZero
2013-05-12, 04:14 PM
other classes will start beating it easily with high money campaigns.
Well sure, but with that ability, you'd still be able to pop up a suit of good armor even after having had to leave all the gear behind, like in prison or a palace social dinner or some such thing. Then strap on the expensive armor later on. So it's still a benefit, even if it becomes situational.

JusticeZero
2013-05-12, 07:30 PM
Actually here's another thing.

A Cutthroat only receives Light armor proficiency. Under the Armored Blade, it comments that "An armored blade is always considered proficient in her mind armor."

So an Armored Cutthroat can be wandering around in imaginary mw splintmail/fullplate with correct blade skill? Is that correct?

TuggyNE
2013-05-12, 10:55 PM
Actually here's another thing.

A Cutthroat only receives Light armor proficiency. Under the Armored Blade, it comments that "An armored blade is always considered proficient in her mind armor."

So an Armored Cutthroat can be wandering around in imaginary mw splintmail/fullplate with correct blade skill? Is that correct?

Yup. Keep in mind they seem to take the usual ACPs and what-not, so depending on how skill-focused they are this might be slightly subpar, but generally that doesn't seem too bad.