PDA

View Full Version : A couple of spells for the merciful healer.

Ilinca
2013-05-12, 05:29 PM
Here's a couple of spells I devised for a vow of nonviolence/peace style character, based on the Artificer's Weapon Augmentation. I figured I'd share and see what other people thought.

Merciful Blade
Transmutation/Conjuration[Good]
Level: Healer 1, Cleric 1, Paladin 1
Components: V , S, M
Casting time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Touch
Target: Weapon Touched
Duration: 10 min/level
Saving Throw: None(object)
Spell Resistance: No(object)

Apply a little bit of holy water to a weapon, the weapon adds the merciful enchantment. (+1d6 damage, all damage dealt from the weapon is converted to nonlethal)

Material Component: Negligable amount of holy water.

Merciful Blade, Mass
Same as above except
Level: Healer 2, Cleric 2, Paladin 2
Range: 20 ft radius burst
Target: Weapons in burst

Throw a bottle of holy water to the ground, as it shatters, it flows towards all friendly owned weapons, making them merciful.

Material component: 25 gp flask of holy water

Unwillingly Merciful Blade
Level: Healer 2, Cleric 2, Paladin 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close
Target: One Creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will Neg
Spell Resistance: Yes

If the target of this spell fails their save, any manufactured weapon they touch becomes merciful.

Material Component: A negligable amount of holy water

Unwillingly Merciful Blade, Mass
Same as above except
Level Healer 3, Cleric 3, Paladin 3
Range: 20 ft radius burst
Target: creatures in burst

Material component: 25 gp flask of holy water

Silva Stormrage
2013-05-13, 03:30 PM
Hm, interesting set of spells. I think they are a bit too strong at this level though, I would suggest boosting the level by 1 for all the spells.

ShriekingDrake
2013-05-13, 03:45 PM
I really like the concept. I'd double the spell levels you've got for the spells, however.

JeenLeen
2013-05-14, 11:10 AM
I like them. I can see people's comments about spell levels. Merciful Blade as level 1 makes sense to me, maybe with an adjustment of duration or damage bonus.

---
By the wording of Mass Merciful Blade, it effects all weapons owned by friendly units whether they want it or not. I think it should be Will negates (harmless), so that they can resist if they want to (such as a raging barbarian or if the healer is with someone who wants to finish off who the healer wants to save.)

Mass Unwilling Merciful Blade also impacts allies as worded. That fits the feel of the spell, but I wanted to note it in case it's not intentional.
---

Also, how the spells target differs with interesting implications.
Merciful Blade: a weapon you are touching. As a touch spell, couldn't you try to target an enemy's weapon and afflict them with this?

Merciful Blade, Mass: enchants all friendly-owned weapons. Including stuff not equipped, or does it mean just equipped weapons? How is 'ownership' defined? Attended or held might be a better term.

Unwillingly Merciful Blade: enchants a target such that any weapon they touch becomes merciful, I imagine for the duration of the spell. Should this be that they hold or attend, lest they touch your weapon during the duration and make it merciful?

I'd recommend changing them all to enchantments on the person, such that any weapon they are using at the time becomes merciful, but it loses that trait if it is no longer attended.

erikun
2013-05-14, 12:16 PM
Merciful Blade looks good. I think +1d6 at first level doesn't seem to bad, especially as it doesn't scale. You'd probably want to mention that Merciful can be turned on and off, just to avoid confusion.

Merciful Blade, Mass seems like it should be a 3rd level spell. Most of the Mass spells tend to be 3-4 levels higher, although that doesn't seem worth it for most spells (certainly not this one). I think most spells like that limit how many weapons to affect, although I'm not finding a good example anywhere.

Unwillingly Merciful Blade should probably specify that it cannot be voluntarily turned off. I would actually recommend a full vial of holy water, which is tossed at the target when casting the spell, for visual flavor reasons. Better yet, have it target the creature and grant any weapons held (manufactured or not) become Merciful.

Unwillingly Merciful Blade, Mass should probably be 4th level, placing it two levels above the non-mass version of the spell. Also, all the above recommendations apply to this one.