PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remember the name of an old set of turn-based strategy games

Gamerlord
2013-05-12, 07:11 PM
Been trying to find a set of games that I played the demos for a long time ago but can't remember the name of. Barely remember anything, but they both had very similar gameplay, similar enough that they were probably in the same franchise. The primary difference is one took place during the time of the Roman Empire (Maybe it was during the Republic, can't really remember) and another took place a good deal earlier, with a focus on the Mesopotamian area. They were both on the PC, with a battle system that somewhat resembled an incredibly simplistic version of Dominion 3's battle system. You gave very simple instructions to your soldiers, positioned them, and then after the results were calculated watched how the battle unfolded in real-time from a top-down view. Pretty sure you also had to manage some sort of hero units.

Anyone here know what I might be talking about?

EDIT: They were also 4Xs.

tensai_oni
2013-05-12, 07:32 PM
The Great Battles of X (http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/great-battles-series) series?

Gamerlord
2013-05-12, 07:37 PM
The Great Battles of X (http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/great-battles-series) series?
No, doesn't look like what I remember them looking like, and they were 4Xs, empire building was definitely a thing in them. Should have mentioned that in the OP. :smallredface: Also, you didn't have any control once the battle started.

Grinner
2013-05-12, 07:56 PM
Do you remember the decade in which you played them? (A specific year would be even better.)

Gamerlord
2013-05-12, 09:36 PM
Do you remember the decade in which you played them? (A specific year would be even better.)
It was sometime in between 2004-2006. The graphics were fairly primitive though (From what I recall, the strategic map was basically some sprites indicating armies on top of provinces in the color of the controlling faction, and the tactical map was little more a few dozen little dudes running up to and attacking each other on some basic terrain and then falling over in a little pool of blood) so maybe the game was released earlier than that.

warty goblin
2013-05-12, 09:43 PM
Take a look at some of these (http://matrixgames.com/products/?p=14&a=3), and see if they ring any bells.

Gamerlord
2013-05-12, 09:50 PM
Take a look at some of these (http://matrixgames.com/products/?p=14&a=3), and see if they ring any bells.
Looking at the list, I'm almost certain Chariots of War/Legion Gold is what I was talking about. Apparently I overestimated how old they were. :redface: Thanks! :smallsmile:

warty goblin
2013-05-12, 09:57 PM
Looking at the list, I'm almost certain Chariots of War/Legion Gold is what I was talking about. Apparently I overestimated how old they were. :redface: Thanks! :smallsmile:

I had a suspicion it was. Which terrifies me.

bobthe6th
2013-05-12, 10:15 PM
...and another successful case solved by the Forum Search Engine!

Brother Oni
2013-05-14, 07:39 AM
It was sometime in between 2004-2006.

A long time ago? What are you on about? I remember 2004, it wasn't that far back, only about 9 years... crap. :smallsigh:

Wardog
2013-05-14, 05:58 PM
A long time ago? What are you on about? I remember 2004, it wasn't that far back, only about 9 years... crap. :smallsigh:

Where has my life gone ??? :smalleek:

dread_k2002
2013-05-16, 02:36 PM
Kind of off topic... I don't even know where the forum search engine is and can't seem to find an old thread with forgotten games. So I posted on a similar thread. I forgotten the name of a game that began kind of like half life, only the cart was going up in a space station. It gave me the idea that it could be a mod. The game was a first person shooter against xeno life forms. I remember there was a bit of training in the space station (that included using a vehicle... a tank i believe) and then you went in a transport on a planet. You had an energy based pistol that had endless bullets but you had to reload. You also had a kind of gun that combined three liquids: acid, base and something else. That's all I can remember. Thank you in advance.