PDA

View Full Version : Game-tables itP!

TheCountAlucard
2013-05-12, 07:30 PM
So, one of the upsides of moving is that there's gonna be some changes of scenery. My sister asked if there was anything I'd specifically like for the new place, and I said, "How about a table specifically for gaming?" Dice are notorious for their ability to get lost in couches, and I don't want to have to clear off the kitchen table to start a game (and contrariwise, I don't want to have to note miniatures' positions before making way for macaroni and cheese!).

I feel like I've got a prime chance to do things the right way, and so I've come to you Playgrounders for suggestions. :smallsmile:

One idea I'd had was having dice-cups built into the table (or at least, holes for them). Having cozy spots in which to keep your dice makes it easier to keep track of the things! Built-in drawers might also be handy for storing rulebooks.

As I see more cool suggestions, I'll be sure and edit them into the opening post. :smallcool:

Grinner
2013-05-12, 08:20 PM
Off the top of my head:
Destructo-beam lasers
eInk tabletop display with touchscreen interface
dice roller
private messaging device (much greener than using notepads)
backpack holder
footrests
massage chairs
drink dispenser
salsa dispenser
fuzzy dice
toilet
pizza maker
book rack
computer for tabletop display
automatic rule finder plugin for computer's PDF reader
automated milling machine (for making additional miniatures as needed)
robot butler
android (for replacing absent players)
stereo system
plot hook generator
a small fortune in RPG PDFs
neural interface for each player

headwarpage
2013-05-12, 08:30 PM
Here you go:
http://www.geekchichq.com/the-sultan-gaming-table.html

TheCountAlucard
2013-05-12, 08:36 PM
Okay, to clarify, I'm not a millionaire; I can't justify spending $12,000 on a gaming table when I can't justify spending $375 on the Exalted Kickstarter. :smallsigh:

AttilaTheGeek
2013-05-12, 08:44 PM
It's so expensive it doesn't even say how much it costs, but this (http://www.samsung.com/us/business/commercial-display-solutions/LH40SFWTGC/ZA) looks awesome.

mabriss lethe
2013-05-12, 10:28 PM
A place to store dice, pencils, paper, reference books, minis, etc when they aren't in use is a must, if not in the table, then close at hand. I think that a good basis for the tabletop itself would be something akin to a poker table. Aside from that? Inset the tabletop with a dry erase board, or lay out some sort of permanent grid on it.

tasw
2013-05-12, 10:39 PM
I'd like to see built in drink holders to prevent spillage and a recessed culvert around the edge so that dice, mini's, pens and pencils, whatever falls into the culvert and stops before calling off the edge.

Malak'ai
2013-05-12, 11:06 PM
Or a raised, padded edge to keep dice/pencils etc from falling off the table, also good for resting elbows on; or to cushion the forehead/face in those moments when you need to smack your head on something.

Joe the Rat
2013-05-13, 08:24 AM
A place to store dice, pencils, paper, reference books, minis, etc when they aren't in use is a must, if not in the table, then close at hand. I think that a good basis for the tabletop itself would be something akin to a poker table. Aside from that? Inset the tabletop with a dry erase board, or lay out some sort of permanent grid on it.

A Poker table seems like an ideal option, other than the felt surface. Not because of map issues, but from the inevitable spillage and cheetos crumbs. The only downside is you'll probably need clipboards for character sheets (I am led to understand that not everyone uses clipboards).

Are you thinking of modding or building yourself, or looking for something pre-made?

TheCountAlucard
2013-05-13, 10:01 AM
A Poker table seems like an ideal option, other than the felt surface. Not because of map issues, but from the inevitable spillage and cheetos crumbs.Very true.

The only downside is you'll probably need clipboards for character sheets (I am led to understand that not everyone uses clipboards).I use clipboards, myself.

Are you thinking of modding or building yourself, or looking for something pre-made?The former.

Frathe
2013-05-13, 11:52 AM
My group has a devoted table covered with a grid marked with inch-squares. I think someone knew someone whose business used to use it for projections. You can just draw maps directly on the table with dry-erase markers, so that's pretty nice.

00dlez
2013-05-13, 12:39 PM
Getting an old pool table can work out well. Usually once the felt gets destoryed people will just give them away due to how heavy and bulky they are. A slate top table can be painted with marker friendly surfacing and you are good to go - either with a perma-grid on it in non-erase marker or just a blank surface for free drawing.

The old pockets can be easyily converted to suspended drink holders to keep them out of the way and non-spilly.

Lentrax
2013-05-13, 01:15 PM
My friend has a table with some white tile on it. Not sure what it is, but the surface is perfect for writing small notes on (or life totals for MtG) No raised edges, but since the table is in the "gaming room" we don't have to worry about losing dice, or picking up minis and books. I should be heading over there on Wednesday night, I will try to figure it out and get back to you.

Big Fau
2013-05-13, 02:15 PM
Getting an old pool table can work out well. Usually once the felt gets destoryed people will just give them away due to how heavy and bulky they are. A slate top table can be painted with marker friendly surfacing and you are good to go - either with a perma-grid on it in non-erase marker or just a blank surface for free drawing.

The old pockets can be easyily converted to suspended drink holders to keep them out of the way and non-spilly.

Actually, people don't usually give away a genuine pool table unless the slate gets damaged on the playing surface. The cheap pressboard ones, however, get given away like candy on Halloween.

Sandwich8080
2013-05-13, 04:27 PM
We bought a (roughly) 4'x8' piece of dry erase board for about $35 from a lumber store. We thought we would have to glue it to the table but it is heavy enough that it doesn't move around. We also cut out a semi-circle for the DM to sit at, since I've usually got about 6 books open at all times. That plus TV tray tables that are short enough to slide under the table work out rather well for us.

Frathe
2013-05-13, 05:10 PM
My group has a devoted table covered with a grid marked with inch-squares. I think someone knew someone whose business used to use it for projections. You can just draw maps directly on the table with dry-erase markers, so that's pretty nice.Just to be clear, the table itself doesn't have a grid. We have a plastic sheet on top, and that has the grid. I realized that you couldn't tell that from my post. It's easier to clean this way--you can just take the sheet outside and hose it off.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-13, 08:18 PM
Or a raised, padded edge to keep dice/pencils etc from falling off the table, also good for resting elbows on; or to cushion the forehead/face in those moments when you need to smack your head on something.

This. I was mostly thinking to keep those damn dice from rolling their way off the table. As long as it isn't sharp or splintery, so your players' arms don't get ruined by it.

My desk has sort of retractable drawer/surface, which rolls out from under the table's surface. Perhaps something like that could be helpful for keeping extra sheets and books, or making out-of-sight die rolls.

If you use physical books, you might want to keep it near a shelf containing your rulebooks, in case something needs to be looked up.

One thing I've always wanted to see is a designated "rolling area". A roll is only counted if it's rolled visibly and clearly into the marked area, after it's declared, and you keep your hands out of there until everyone sees what result came up. This prevents shenanigans like arguments over whether the roll "chipped" or not, and makes it harder for people to fudge.

Ozfer
2013-05-13, 08:52 PM
What in god's name is a chipped roll?

Slipperychicken
2013-05-13, 09:58 PM
What in god's name is a chipped roll?

When the die bounces off something during the roll, like the side of a laptop or a pencil. When this occurs, the roll is often not considered valid and re-rolled (much like if something "outside the game" like a body part blocks a ball in a game of billiards). I'm not sure about the origins of the term, but almost all the groups I've played with do this. I'll give you an example:

DM: Roll me a Will save.

[Player1 rolls his d20, but it knocks into a rulebook and spins off]

Player1: Hey, that totally chipped! We're not counting it.

DM: Fine, re-roll it. But if it chips this time, we're not going to reroll it again..

Malak'ai
2013-05-13, 11:06 PM
Also that would prevent cocked dice as well... Those really hack me off when the player tries to argue that it's laying flat when you can easily get the tip of a pencil under the raised part of the dice :smallfurious:.

Lentrax
2013-05-14, 02:47 AM
So I take it you've seen a d4 land point first as well?

Malak'ai
2013-05-14, 04:34 AM
So I take it you've seen a d4 land point first as well?

Never without assistance... Propped up against a pile of papers yes.