PDA

View Full Version : What does Roy's feat actually do

Kornaki
2013-05-12, 10:42 PM
So we've seen Roy's grandfather slice up a caster at the start of combat, when he wasn't casting a spell

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html

And only now we've seen it be used to actually interrupt a spell being cast. But it worked inside of Roy's illusion, which means it probably doesn't work so well in real life. In fact in 498 Roy describes the feat as "killing the cleric in one shot", not something about interrupting spellcasting. Is Roy confused as to what his own ability does?

One Step Two
2013-05-12, 10:48 PM
So we've seen Roy's grandfather slice up a caster at the start of combat, when he wasn't casting a spell

And only now we've seen it be used to actually interrupt a spell being cast. But it worked inside of Roy's illusion, which means it probably doesn't work so well in real life. In fact in 498 Roy describes the feat as "killing the cleric in one shot", not something about interrupting spellcasting. Is Roy confused as to what his own ability does?

What Roy's Feat does, the one he used in the illusion that is, is up for debate. But I think it's a reasonable assumption that it's the pre-requisite feat for whatever Feat Horace used to one-shot the Cleric, which in the very next comic, you'll see that he offered to teach Roy the steps to learning.

As for what the Feat he used to disrupt the spell was, I'd say it's some form of Mage Slayer Feat turned up to 11. Because as it is, Mage Slayer is pretty so-so, because with a high enough concentration check, the moderate damage that a Fighter's Attack can deal, can be negated.

A tactical feat of some kind that does what Mage Slayer does, and more would be pretty sweet actually. Gives me an idea for homebrew...

Kornaki
2013-05-12, 11:02 PM
But I think it's a reasonable assumption that it's the pre-requisite feat for whatever Feat Horace used to one-shot the Cleric,

Ah, I hadn't considered this. I just assumed his new feat was the one Horace used

MReav
2013-05-12, 11:20 PM
But I think it's a reasonable assumption that it's the pre-requisite feat for whatever Feat Horace used to one-shot the Cleric,

I just assumed that was narrative convenience. Like when Belkar one-shotted the hag (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html).

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2013-05-13, 12:56 AM
A tactical feat of some kind that does what Mage Slayer does, and more would be pretty sweet actually. Gives me an idea for homebrew...

If you really want a fun melee character vs spell casters try this by your DM...There are three mage slayer feats, take your first level as Ranger so you can take fav enemy spell cater too, then look at the dragon star d20 game for 'pressing the attack'

At third level you could be a Human Fighter 2 Ranger 1 with5 feats.

My 5 feats would be Power Attack, Weapon prof spike chain, Combat Reflexes, Pressing the attack, and Mage Slayer
bonus feat from Ranger would be Rapid shot and I would do my best to get a dispeling Long bow...

One Step Two
2013-05-13, 03:24 AM
I just assumed that was narrative convenience. Like when Belkar one-shotted the hag (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0176.html).

So did I when I first read the thread, but then, we didn't have Roy's perspective. To be obsessive in detail, in 497 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html) we see Horace make a single distinct attack, which leaves two cuts across the Clerics face. Roy took out his opponent with three attacks. in 498 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0498.html) Roy asks about it specifically in panel 3. So there's the foreshadowing for learning a feat to take down a caster.

If you really want a fun melee character vs spell casters try this by your DM...There are three mage slayer feats, take your first level as Ranger so you can take fav enemy spell cater too, then look at the dragon star d20 game for 'pressing the attack'

At third level you could be a Human Fighter 2 Ranger 1 with5 feats.

My 5 feats would be Power Attack, Weapon prof spike chain, Combat Reflexes, Pressing the attack, and Mage Slayer
bonus feat from Ranger would be Rapid shot and I would do my best to get a dispeling Long bow...

Oh yeah, the Mageslayer line is really great, I'd be more inclined to go with Human Fighter 2 / Ranger 3, then Occult slayer at 6th. Focus on Two-Weapon fighting. Mageslayer, two weapon fighting, and getting into things like Double hit, Stand Still, and asking your DM nicely for Step Up from pathfinder to harass spellcasters to the max.

But Roy has something much better than all that shenanigans :smallsmile:

Cizak
2013-05-13, 03:47 AM
"If that had been a real caster, his spell would be messed up somethin' fierce right now." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0600.html)

Gloomy_Bloom
2013-05-13, 04:07 AM
By the way, anybody know what was that move Roy did in #0349? (the one with green sword)
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0349.html

Was it his family move or just something else?

LuPuWei
2013-05-13, 04:17 AM
Roy's feet smell and his nose runs and all of ours do too...

'Twas a joke. Ye can ignore it and move along...

Kish
2013-05-13, 04:44 AM
That doesn't really work; the feat one-shotting the cleric is what caused Roy to ask about it.

Roland Itiative
2013-05-13, 05:29 AM
By the way, anybody know what was that move Roy did in #0349? (the one with green sword)

It's a consequence of his sword having been remade with starmetal. The green energy is supposedly specially useful against undead, and random (though it always seems to conveniently appear when Roy is the most enraged and/or badass).

As for the Horace feat... Maybe he did use the feat against that cleric, even though the cleric apparently wasn't casting anything. Why would he do that? Maybe the feat does extra damage against spellcasters as well as disrupting their casting. Or maybe this was a pre-emptive strike to keep him from casting anything Quickened.

One thing is for certain, the feat we've seen Roy use to disrupt Xykon's casting seems to be exactly what Horace taught him, based on what we see of Horace actually passing it on to Roy. The fact he didn't one-shot Xykon can be attributed to the fact Xykon is much more powerful than that cleric, and Roy is possibly much weaker than Horace (and, if this had been a real fight, Xykon would likely not go down that easily either).

JSSheridan
2013-05-13, 12:17 PM
"If that had been a real caster, his spell would be messed up somethin' fierce right now." (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0600.html)

Roy and Horace's exchange goes like (emphasis mine)

Roy: Thanks for teaching me all the custom moves.

Horace: Don't forget to spend a feat on them.

So Roy's getting a package of special moves for one feat, one that was shown, one in 497, one that was discussed in 600 and which might be what we saw in 886.

Sounds like a good deal.

Olinser
2013-05-13, 12:48 PM

His sword is basically +5 Undeadbane/Demonbane. That's just the ability going off.

Sir_Leorik
2013-05-13, 12:54 PM
His sword is basically +5 Undeadbane/Demonbane. That's just the ability going off.

No, his sword is a +5 starmetal greatsword. Starmetal has a special property: weapons forged with starmetal do more damage to undead and evil outsiders, and give off a cool special effect when they do so. The Azurite swordsmith who repaired Roy's ancestral weapon explained this to him. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html)

Shale
2013-05-13, 01:02 PM
But the green glow only appears some of the time he hits undead or evil outsiders - which is what the blacksmith said would happen. That matches up with the -bane property.

Kish
2013-05-13, 01:14 PM
But the green glow only appears some of the time he hits undead or evil outsiders
Did...did you just call Miko a ghost?

Sir_Leorik
2013-05-13, 01:25 PM
But the green glow only appears some of the time he hits undead or evil outsiders - which is what the blacksmith said would happen. That matches up with the -bane property.

That sort of "some of the time" effect would make sense if Bane weapons gave extra damage on a crit.

But that isn't what a Bane weapon does. They always deal an extra +2d6 untyped damage against the designated foe. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm#bane) Roy's weapon doesn't always give off the effect when fighting undead, and it affected Miko for some reason...

:smallbiggrin:

Shale
2013-05-13, 01:30 PM

GASP! Miko in that scene was actually a shapeshifted Sabine! This changes everything!

Or I forgot about that one, and am thus proved wrong. Your call.

Koo Rehtorb
2013-05-13, 01:32 PM
I sort of assumed that one-shotting the cleric was just an entirely separate feat that led Roy to ask about combat moves in general and the spell disrupting feat came up as part of the package.

I assume that one-shotting the cleric was Devastating Critical, or something else along those lines.

SowZ
2013-05-13, 01:53 PM

That's the most accurate description of her, I'd say, yes.

SoC175
2013-05-13, 02:09 PM
That doesn't really work; the feat one-shotting the cleric is what caused Roy to ask about it.The one-shooting was likely only an effect of level difference between the two.

The feat likely allows Roy AoOs to interrupt someone adjacted casting a spell (something casters eventually grow out since the defensive casting DC is eventually to low to be failed)

But the green glow only appears some of the time he hits undead or evil outsiders - which is what the blacksmith said would happen. That matches up with the -bane property.Actually he only said that it just happens some times and it's harmfull to undead. He didn't said that it's harmful to outsiders or that it only appears when hitting undead.

So from time to time the effect activates and does nothing particular if it's not an undead that just happens to have been hit

Sir_Leorik
2013-05-13, 02:32 PM
Actually he only said that it just happens some times and it's harmfull to undead. He didn't said that it's harmful to outsiders or that it only appears when hitting undead.

So from time to time the effect activates and does nothing particular if it's not an undead that just happens to have been hit

:sabine: Sabine would disagree with that sentiment. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0349.html) :smallcool:

Also, the Azurite Swordsmith was a woman. Azure City believes very strongly in equal opportunity. :smallwink:

charcoalninja
2013-05-13, 02:36 PM
Roy was never taught the one shotting feat, his grandfather only taught him the techniques to get him started.

Deepbluediver
2013-05-13, 02:47 PM

Since D&D is turn-based, and most spells have a casting time of only 1 standard action, "interupting" a spell usually occurs with an attack of opportunity when the caster attempts to cast while in melee range.

It would appear as if this move ignores the benefit of casting defensively, as well as stopping the spell without allowing a concentration check. Either that or it's a check/Save so high it might as well be impossible.

Also, it appears that the move still does normal damage. So if Roy's grandfather dealt a lot of damage with his attack, in addition to interupting the spell it might have killed the caster. Roy, not knowing what the move was (yet) assumed it had something to do with the killing, when the spell-interuption was actually the more important part.

Sir_Leorik
2013-05-13, 03:14 PM
Since D&D is turn-based, and most spells have a casting time of only 1 standard action, "interupting" a spell usually occurs with an attack of opportunity when the caster attempts to cast while in melee range.

It would appear as if this move ignores the benefit of casting defensively, as well as stopping the spell without allowing a concentration check. Either that or it's a check/Save so high it might as well be impossible.

In D&D 3.X and 4E you can also Ready an Action as a Standard action, which allows you to set a trigger that allows you to interrupt someone else's turn. When your readied action goes off in 3.X, your place in the initiative order actually changes, and you go before the target of your readied action for the rest of the combat. In 4E readied actions are considered Immediate Interrupts (I don't remember off the top of my head if they change your order in the initiative in 4E.)

The feat Roy learned from Horace seems to grant new manuevers when you ready an action to disrupt spellcasting. My guess is that the manuever adds a severe penalty to the caster's Concentration check.

EnragedFilia
2013-05-13, 03:18 PM

According to the rules that I'm familiar with, any damage taken while casting a spell forces a concentration check with a DC based on the damage of the attack (SRD says it's the damage + 10 + the spell's level). So since concentration, like most skills, is effectively limited to the caster's level plus 3 plus a few more from feats or whatever and maybe some gear, anything that can hit for more than about 50 damage should be able to guarantee an interrupt on any spell that can be interrupted. And if a single-classed fighter like the late Mr. Greenhilt can't do 50 damage anytime he wants, it probably means he missed.

What all this means is that the (really pretty lame as written) mage slayer feat would be enough to produce the described effect of "interrupt any spellcasting", but only if you've got the damage output to back it up.

Deepbluediver
2013-05-13, 03:26 PM
According to the rules that I'm familiar with, any damage taken while casting a spell forces a concentration check with a DC based on the damage of the attack (SRD says it's the damage + 10 + the spell's level). So since concentration, like most skills, is effectively limited to the caster's level plus 3 plus a few more from feats or whatever and maybe some gear, anything that can hit for more than about 50 damage should be able to guarantee an interrupt on any spell that can be interrupted. And if a single-classed fighter like the late Mr. Greenhilt can't do 50 damage anytime he wants, it probably means he missed.

What all this means is that the (really pretty lame as written) mage slayer feat would be enough to produce the described effect of "interrupt any spellcasting", but only if you've got the damage output to back it up.

The OP merely asked what the feat did, and I provided and answer based on what we've seen in the comic. There's no need to start a debate about optimization.

I'm not familiar with the Mage Slayer feat, but casting defensively means you don't provoke attacks of opportunity, in which case you will never get an opportunity to attack (interupt the spell), so what damage you do would be irrelevent. Therefore, it seems like the real benefit of this feat is that it ignores defensive casting, and is (probably) not linked to damage done.

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2013-05-13, 05:51 PM
The OP merely asked what the feat did, and I provided and answer based on what we've seen in the comic. There's no need to start a debate about optimization.

I'm not familiar with the Mage Slayer feat, but casting defensively means you don't provoke attacks of opportunity, in which case you will never get an opportunity to attack (interupt the spell), so what damage you do would be irrelevent. Therefore, it seems like the real benefit of this feat is that it ignores defensive casting, and is (probably) not linked to damage done.

correct, it also gives a bonus to saves vs spells (maybe just will vs spells)

7RED7
2013-05-14, 12:39 AM

I wonder if the color of the "spellcaster's" robe has any special significance. You know, like on the next page or something...

Morty
2013-05-14, 03:41 AM
I think people are jumping to conclusions by declaring it to the the Mage Slayer feat. We saw it once, in a wish-fulfilment illusion and Horace might have implied that this feat allows its user to perform more than one special move.

dtilque
2013-05-14, 04:09 AM
For those wishing to discuss the green energy, may I direct you to a thread specifically about it: Sir Roy and the Green Energy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254178)

As far as the starmetal goes, I think it works the same as all the other special metals (cold iron, silver, adamantium, bilver1, etc) combined, at least as far as overcoming DR goes. That's why Sabine was hurt by Roy's attack. It had nothing to do with the green energy, since she noticed the damage before the green energy occured.

1 An SoD reference. Ignore it if you haven't read it yet. Or better, go buy the book and read it.

SSGoW
2013-05-14, 09:15 AM
Mage Slayer seems most fitting, I'm hoping that he finishes the feat chain by getting Pierce Magical Concealment and Pierce Magical Protection.

Best feat chain ever for a fighter. To bad they aren't class features for level 1, 3, 5, 7....

Korith
2013-05-14, 10:11 AM
Spellcasting Harrier (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#spellcastingHarrier) seems to do what we're looking for, although it's an epic feat...

Maybe he beat up a lot more evil adventuring parties off-camera in the afterlife?

Sky_Schemer
2013-05-14, 12:01 PM
I think people are jumping to conclusions by declaring it to the the Mage Slayer feat. We saw it once, in a wish-fulfilment illusion and Horace might have implied that this feat allows its user to perform more than one special move.

I think it's reasonable to assume that what we see in the vision/fantasy in 886 is an accurate portrayal of the feat. Roy knows what the effect is supposed to be since he has trained for it, and this shared dream state is at least partially constructed from his thoughts and memories. Granted, we are seeing it work perfectly in 886 and the real thing may not be as easy to pull off in the real world, but I think the general functioning is spot on. Why would Roy think otherwise?

HardcoreD&Dgirl
2013-05-14, 12:26 PM
I think it's reasonable to assume that what we see in the vision/fantasy in 886 is an accurate portrayal of the feat. Roy knows what the effect is supposed to be since he has trained for it, and this shared dream state is at least partially constructed from his thoughts and memories. Granted, we are seeing it work perfectly in 886 and the real thing may not be as easy to pull off in the real world, but I think the general functioning is spot on. Why would Roy think otherwise?

I think it is close enough to Mage slayer to call it that for purpose of discusion.

I also bet, as a good auther rich is forshadowing and showing his hand a bit...but not the way it looks. Remembr we are set up for caster full LG Vs casterless OotS so we will see mageslayer used well... tehn Team Evil will show why Big X isn't afraid of mage slayer...

Morty
2013-05-14, 12:34 PM

Exactly. The real feat may very well not work so perfectly in the real world. Or it might. The fact that it's an illusion puts it in doubt. Heck, Roy might not even have it yet.

Also, people seem to be rather unwilling to contemplate the possibility of it not being an existing feat from some sourcebook or other. A possibility I consider quite likely.

Jay R
2013-05-14, 02:35 PM
Based purely on empirical evidence, the feat makes him stand there with swirlies in his eyes, believing he defeated his foe.

This is a wish-fulfillment illusion; we still have no evidence that he has the feat yet. It don't mean a thing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2iEulpX910) if you ain't paid for that swing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0600.html).

Sky_Schemer
2013-05-15, 11:10 AM
Based purely on empirical evidence, the feat makes him stand there with swirlies in his eyes, believing he defeated his foe.

Nonsense. We don't know specifics, but we have a general idea of what the feat is supposed to do from 600 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0600.html) and, arguably, 497 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html), and so does Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html).

Sure, we don't know if he actually has the feat yet, and this is an idealized vision of it working perfectly, but it's still a vision based on the actual training he received and how he believes it is supposed to work. Why would he imagine something other than what he learned?

ZerglingOne
2013-05-16, 04:55 PM
It's definitely a homebrew feat.

I'd go with something like this.

On a successful Knowledge(Arcana) check 10+spell level, you may deny a caster the ability to cast defensively and their concentration check is twice as difficult for purposes of passing if hit during casting. Treat epic spells as level 10 for purposes of interruption.

It's quite clearly not Mageslayer since Xykon clearly doesn't initially realize he cannot cast defensively, and by Redcloak's words appears to require a knowledge check to understand what Roy is doing.

thereaper
2013-05-16, 09:20 PM
Roy's Knowledge (Arcana) is nowhere near high enough to make a DC that high even somewhat consistently.

Jay R
2013-05-17, 11:40 AM

Nonsense. We don't know specifics, but we have a general idea of what the feat is supposed to do from 600 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0600.html) and, arguably, 497 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0497.html), and so does Roy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0666.html).

You don't know what "empirical evidence" means, do you? My comment was kind of a joke, so I'm not happy to have to explain it, but here it is:

The only actual time we have seen Roy using the feat, the actual result has been Roy standing there with swirlies in his eyes.

No, I don't think that's what it really does, but the point is real: Roy hasn't actually used the feat yet, and we only see what Roy expects it to do in a wish-fulfillment illusion.

Sylthia
2013-05-17, 02:37 PM
Maybe the feat adds the damage, or a multiple of it to the concentration DC when casting defensively.

Emanick
2013-05-17, 05:52 PM
You don't know what "empirical evidence" means, do you? My comment was kind of a joke, so I'm not happy to have to explain it, but here it is:

The only actual time we have seen Roy using the feat, the actual result has been Roy standing there with swirlies in his eyes.

No, I don't think that's what it really does, but the point is real: Roy hasn't actually used the feat yet, and we only see what Roy expects it to do in a wish-fulfillment illusion.

But Roy DOES know what the feat does. His grandfather explained it to him and showed him how to use it. I believe that was Sky Schemer's point.

Sky_Schemer
2013-05-17, 08:25 PM
You don't know what "empirical evidence" means, do you?

I know exactly what it means. We saw the feat used by Roy's grandfather, Roy was trained in it, and so we can imply that what he's visualizing is how he believes it is supposed to work. As I said before, this is an idealized vision of it, but it's reasonable to assume that it works something like that.

My comment was kind of a joke, so I'm not happy to have to explain it.

I got that you were being snarky so no explanation was necessary. I just felt you were just being unreasonably so, since we have enough information about the feat to make educated guesses.

ti'esar
2013-05-17, 10:24 PM
I have nothing to speculate on the actual topic, but I just wanted to note that every time I see the thread title, I read it as "Roy's feet".

Kish
2013-05-18, 04:11 AM
I have nothing to speculate on the actual topic, but I just wanted to note that every time I see the thread title, I read it as "Roy's feet".
Roy's feet carry Roy from place to place; that's what they do.

SowZ
2013-05-18, 05:06 AM

They occasionally kick things.

SSGoW
2013-05-18, 08:07 AM
Spellcasting Harrier (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#spellcastingHarrier) seems to do what we're looking for, although it's an epic feat...

Maybe he beat up a lot more evil adventuring parties off-camera in the afterlife?

What a horrid epic feat!

Mage Slayer is a ton better and is availible at level 3.

The only downside to it being Mage Slayer is that the caster knows he can't cast defensively. However Dream Xykon isn't the brightest illuminated bulb in the house. Dream Xykon had to ask dream Red Cloak what it did... This actually may have been a way for Roy to remember what his grandfather said and I'm wondering how close the wording is.. I think Grandpapi greenhilt said some things about the feat on screen...

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if the order thought Xykon was so dumb that he didn't know what "casting defensively" really was.

brionl
2013-05-18, 02:15 PM

Does your nose run? Do your feet smell? You're built upside down!

Living Oxymoron
2013-05-20, 10:21 PM
I think that the feat gives access to several manuevers, like a Tactical Feat does.

Prinygod
2013-05-22, 11:10 PM
The problem with mage slayer as i read it, is it doesn't prevent a 5 foot step. If you want to stop a caster with out magic, your best bet (besides one shotting them) is to pull out a bow and ready a shot for when they cast. Even if you ready a melee attack, you cant prevent a caster from just moving on their turn. If they can tumble you really cant stop them, (unless there is another feat i forgetting about).

edit* thinking on it you could ready a move action to follow your opponent should they move, but this requires 2 things
1. that you beable to get in melee range with a single move, so you still have your standard
2. that you have a move equal or greater than the caster, but they still might be able to double move and quicken.

Ward.
2013-05-22, 11:26 PM
On a side note, is anyone else excited to see how the order will bungle roys over poweres fat against an all caster party.

edit: damn samsung and its jittery cursor making it impossible.to.fix.speeling mistakea.

Sky_Schemer
2013-05-23, 10:36 AM
The problem with mage slayer as i read it, is it doesn't prevent a 5 foot step.

Pathfinder's core rulebook has a Step Up (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/step-up-combat---final) feat and no fighter in that system is complete without it. Not if you want to be able to truly harass a spellcaster or press an attack, anyway.

DeltaEmil
2013-05-23, 02:44 PM
You don't even have to take a 5 foot-step. You can also take a normal move action to move away, and if you're tumbling and succeeding on the DC check, you don't even provoke AoO. Then the spellcaster simply blasts away at the wannabe-big guy with a sword.

Hopefully Roy actually learns something from this dreamworld like that he shouldn't expect the real Xykon to be as naive as the wish-fulfillment dreamworld Xykon.

Sky_Schemer
2013-05-24, 11:46 AM
You don't even have to take a 5 foot-step. You can also take a normal move action to move away, and if you're tumbling and succeeding on the DC check, you don't even provoke AoO.

It's a nice approach, but tumble is trained-only, and cross-class for wizards, sorcerers, and clerics. With only 2+Int modifier skill points/level to spend, a caster would need to sacrifice a lot of skill points to make that DC 15 check reliable. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just that the tradeoff-- skill points unavailable for spellcraft, knowledge, etc.-- is something that has to be kept in mind.

For OOtS specifically, though, there is no evidence that Xykon has tumble. I think Roy's biggest problem is Xykon's flight spells as the feat is no good if you can't get into melee.

Snails
2013-05-24, 12:16 PM
Tumble through open space is usually DC 15. So 1 measly rank gives a chance to avoid the AoO, even if not a very good one.

When playing a Wizard, this is a good deal because your high Int gives you a few skill ponts to play with. Sometimes repositioning is important, and I am willing to suck up the AoO to find the right spot -- I probably have Mirror Image up. I am also willing to let the dice give me a freebie.

Sorceror, not so much.

Sky_Schemer
2013-05-24, 12:45 PM
Tumble through open space is usually DC 15.

Typo on my part. And edited to fix.

Lombard
2013-05-27, 01:21 AM
Incoming rusty D&D knowledge.

Roy's weapon doesn't always give off the effect when fighting undead, and it affected Miko for some reason...

Aren't level 20 monks considered outsiders..?

Anyways if you're going to one-shot a cleric as a fighter, Devastating Critical would be high up there on the list of good things to have. (good luck getting that to work against Xykon though..)

My impression was more that the evil adventuring party was significantly lower in level and that Grandpa just went crit-crit-boom on that cleric. I mean Roy did one-shot that fighter as well.

The spell-interruption feat that Roy learns about is clearly some sort of homebrew though. And a good one at that. Concentration scales up way too easily.

Prinygod
2013-05-27, 01:45 AM
Yes but most effects that do extra damage to outsiders do damage to a specific subtype (ie Evil, Good). Even so Miko also had levels in paladin, at least 5 to have a special mount (and she probably had more). Miko isn't epic let alone level 20 so she isn't an outsider

tyckspoon
2013-05-27, 01:47 AM
Aren't level 20 monks considered outsiders..?

Yes, but as far as we know there haven't been any in the strip- Miko was multi-classed Paladin/Monk and wasn't anywhere near level 20 either. The sword energy isn't necessarily doing anything extra when it shows up if Roy is attacking an inappropriate target.. it might just look cool.

Willis888
2013-05-27, 06:25 PM
That sort of "some of the time" effect would make sense if Bane weapons gave extra damage on a crit.

It seems to go off when Roy yells while swinging it.

sengmeng
2013-05-27, 07:00 PM
The exact wording from the Azure city blacksmith was "a deadly green energy that is ESPECIALLY harmful to the undead" (Emphasis mine).

This seems to imply that it deals extra damage to everyone, but undead suffer the most from it.

Back on topic: I always thought it would be cool if there was a feat that had Mage Slayer as a prereq that converted the disrupted spell to damage to the caster, maybe a d6 per level of the spell. It would be awesome if The Giant and I thought the same thing.

Korith
2013-07-16, 01:15 PM
What a horrid epic feat!

Mage Slayer is a ton better and is availible at level 3.

Well, it's 3.0, epic and in the SRD, Mage Slayer is 3.5 and out of a splatbook.

That's power creep for you.

PersonMan
2013-07-16, 01:52 PM
Well, it's 3.0, epic and in the SRD, Mage Slayer is 3.5 and out of a splatbook.

That's power creep for you.

While technically correct, I'd say it's less power creep and more 'designers learning from their mistakes and taking steps towards eliminating caster invincibility'.