PDA

View Full Version : Spells/Suggestion for an Archer Sorcerer

Squirrel_Dude
2013-05-12, 11:02 PM
In an ongoing Eberron game, a friend of mine was able to come in and start playing a sorcerer that another player had stopped. At the moment we are currently all NPC classes. Once we get past this level 0, we will all get our PC classes.

After looking over the character, and finishing up a combat, he has brought up trying to build a sorcerer who uses a crossbow "like Jonah Hex," and "being a sniper." I... have no experience doing this, and would like to try and give him some good advice.

So with that in mind, I have questions/requests:
- What spells out there could effect arrows?
- What spells that combat arrows would he need to be on the lookout for?
- What spells would compliment this sniping/Jonah Hexing of his?
- Feats?
- Equipment?
- Misc?
- PrCs?

Information about the character/party
Race : Human
Feats : Least Dragonmark (Passage) and Improved Initiative
14 Dex, and 17 Cha are highest stats
Current Spells : Sleep, Acid Splash, Pretidigitation, Detect Magics
Class: Sorcerer

The rest of the party:
Halfling Bard
Human Swordsage
Warforged Warblade
Unnannounced/introduced 5th player

Information about available sources
Almost every official 3.5 edition book is allowed, with following exceptions.
No Complete Psionic
No Magic of Incarnum
No Magic Item Compendium
No Spell Compendium
No setting specific books, other than related to Eberron

Juntao112
2013-05-12, 11:42 PM
Archery is a feat intensive discipline that sorcerers are ill suited for. Can you persuade him to focus on rays instead?

Maginomicon
2013-05-12, 11:46 PM
Well, anything that can get you to the Arcane Archer prestige class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/arcaneArcher.htm), for a start.

Race: Elf or half-elf.
Base Attack Bonus" +6. (so it's going to be a while)
Feats:
Point Blank Shot,
Precise Shot,
Weapon Focus (longbow or shortbow).
The only spell that immediately comes to mind is "Arrow Mind" (from Complete Adventurer).

Look through the class features for the Arcane Archer PrC. It's useful to take spells that benefit most from the Imbue Arrow feature (that is, destructive area spells, especially ones that have to be centered on the caster).

Ray spells (spells with "Effect: Ray") and other spells that require a ranged/"ranged touch" attack roll (such as "orb of" spells) I think also benefit from the Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot feats, so eat those up. Remember that you can flavor spells in any way you wish so long as they don't impact game mechanics, so if you want you could flavor your ray spells as looking like arrows.

You should also look into the "Dead Eye" feat (Dragon Magazine #304 page 84), which grants your DEX bonus to ranged weapon damage.

TaiLiu
2013-05-12, 11:47 PM
Archery is a feat intensive discipline that sorcerers are ill suited for. Can you persuade him to focus on rays instead?
Agreed. Perhaps you could let him flavour them as magical bolts that fly out of his crossbow, or something.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-05-12, 11:50 PM
Well, anything that can get you to the Arcane Archer prestige class (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/arcaneArcher.htm), for a start.

The only spell that immediately comes to mind is "Arrow Mind" (from Complete Adventurer).

Look through the class features for the Arcane Archer PrC. It's useful to take spells that benefit most from the Imbue Arrow feature (that is, destructive area spells, especially ones that have to be centered on the caster).My first thought was arcane archer, and then I remember the annoying racial prereq (to say nothing of the weapon focus prereq). Unfortunately that is off the table.

TaiLiu
2013-05-12, 11:52 PM
Spellwarp Sniper, perhaps, though that requires multiclassing.

Maginomicon
2013-05-13, 12:10 AM
Spellwarp Sniper, perhaps, though that requires multiclassing.Normally yes, but if you take Generic Spellcaster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/genericClasses.htm) you can pick up Sneak Attack as an alternate class feature.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-05-13, 06:01 PM
Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the spellwarp sniper. What book is it from/what does it do?