PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e/PF] Multiclass Feats

Pyromancer999
2013-05-13, 12:07 AM
Background- Super Genius Games has released a supplement called The Genius Guide to Feats of Multiclassing, which grant access to the class features of other classes through feats. However, since they forgot a few classes(Hi Barbarian and Summoner), I decided I'd make my own Multiclass feats for those, as well as open myself to requests for Multiclass feats for homebrew classes. So, without further ado, I present the Summoner and Barbarian Multiclass feats, with more Multiclass feats to come!

Living Fury[Multiclass, Barbarian, Combat]
Prerequisites: Berserker, Constitution 13
Benefits: You aren't quite as reckless as a Barbarian, but you do sometimes fly into rages of your own now. You may rage as per the Barbarian class feature Rage, with the following exception: all benefits of the rage are halved(so, you get +2 Con, +2 Str, +1 Will, and so on). Additionally, you gain one additional round of rage per 2 HD you have, as well as one additional round of rage for each Multiclass Barbarian feat you have. You may also add your Constitution modifier to the number of rounds you may rage. The total of these bonuses may not exceed your HD. Alternatively, you may expend two rounds of the rage ability granted by this feat to rage as per a normal 1st level Barbarian for one round.
Special: If you take levels in a class that grants Rage, you may swap this feat for the Extra Rage feat.

Note: The Berserker feat, found in Genius Guide to Feats of Multiclassing after I made this, allows the user to use a rage power as though they were raging for 4 + BAB rounds, but otherwise grants none of the normal benefits, and grants a new rage power or an additional two rounds of "raging" each time taken.

Apprentice Conjurer[Multiclass, Summoner]
Prerequisites: Charisma 13
Benefit: You may not be a Summoner, but you certainly do possess an innate power to conjure creatures. You may conjure creatures as though you had the Summoner's Summon Monster ability, with the following restrictions: you may only cast a Summon Monster spell that is half the level of the one a Summoner of your level could summon(ex. a 9th level character with this feat could only use up to Summon Monster III, as a Summoner of that level would have access to Summon Monster V, and 5/2 = 2.5, rounded up to 3). Your effective caster level is equal to half your HD rounded up, and you may use this ability 4 + your Charisma modifier times per day. You may alternatively use two uses of this ability to cast a Summon Monster spell that would be of level up to the highest level of Summon Monster spell that a Summoner of your level would have access to(ex. a 9th level character with this feat could expend two uses in order to cast Summon Monster V)
Special: If you take levels in the Summoner class, you may swap this feat out for Augment Summoning.

Thaumaturge[Multiclass, Summoner]
Prerequisites: Apprentice Conjurer, Charisma 13, 3rd level
Benefit: Your conjuring skills have progressed to the point where you can conjure an Eidolon, even if it's not as top-notch as a more professional Summoner might have. You gain the benefits of an Eidolon, as per the Summoner class feature, as a Summoner of half your level. For every Summoner Multiclass feat you have, you may increase your effective Summoner level for the purposes of your Eidolon by 1 when determining the advancement of your Eidolon for all stats except evolution points. Your effective Summoner level for your Eidolon may not exceed your level - 2.
Special: You may select this feat again in order to increase your effective Summoner level for this feat by one. You may select this feat once for every four levels you have after the first time it is selected.
Special: If you take levels in a class that grants an Eidolon, you may swap out each instance of this feat being taken for an instance of the Extra Evolution feat.

Alright, so that's it for now. Please feel free to PEACH or otherwise comment on this.

Coidzor
2013-05-13, 01:27 AM
Having not seen the counterparts to these feats, I'm not sure how they stack up, so I only really have two concerns. What happens if you take levels in the class itself? If nothing I'd consider adding a clause in the feats allowing class levels other than the class to progress certain class features at a 1:1 ratio or a 2:1 ration. Say, a Barbarian 5, X 12 would have access to greater rage due to the non-barbarian levels counting for half to progress his rage

The first is that the Thaumaturge feat's special clause allowing it to be taken multiple times seems rather weak and unnecessary given the number of limitations imposed upon it.

If multiple feats are to allow a more powerful Eidolon, it seems almost like going from 1/2(round up) to 3/4(round down) to possibly level-3 or something like that, since even a 17th level Eidolon for a 20th level character seems like a tough decision at the cost of 4 feats, but a decision that could be made.

Compared with 6 feats for a 14th level Eidolon at level 20 which just seems to be completely not worth the investment past the first two feats and that's only if a half level eidolon is a useful way to expend two feats, though we could be generous and say one and a half feats due to the summoning of the Apprentice Conjuror feat.

If the power of the Eidolon is of concern, perhaps limiting the evolutions available or the evolution pool itself is a better tack, as limiting the level of the Eidolon too much seems like it renders the Eidolon essentially useless, like trying to use followers in combat situations against non-mooks.

Granted, I'm not quite sure how strong there is of a correlation between Eidolon HD and usefulness as I've not gotten to play a Summoner yet and so haven't really looked into them fully.

The second is that while you afford a way to get extra rage powers, you don't have a way to make the rage itself more powerful over time. Consider either a third feat allowing it to scale up to whatever Rage an equal level barbarian would have -2(Mighty Rage drops from 8 to 6, Greater Rage drops from 6 to 4) or adding some level lag to getting increased rage numbers into the base feat of Living Fury.

Well, I suppose also that the one extra round of rage per Multiclass Barbarian feat seems a bit low, though more than two seems like it might be excessive, so perhaps it could be bumped to two, very minor, I know.

Pyromancer999
2013-05-13, 11:57 AM
Having not seen the counterparts to these feats, I'm not sure how they stack up, so I only really have two concerns. What happens if you take levels in the class itself?

They usually would be redundant if a character were to take levels in a class they had a multiclass feat for. The entire purpose of multiclass feats is to avoid taking levels in the class. Granted there are exceptions such as Eldritch Heritage(seen in Complete Magic, gives Sorcerer bloodline abilities), but for most classes these features would be redundant.

Edit: A friend of mine has allowed me a peak at their copy, and it turns out that if you take levels in a class that have the class feature, you may trade it out for a certain feat. Will put in that now for some feats, but may need to do others later. Thanks for pointing that out.

Say, a Barbarian 5, X 12 would have access to greater rage due to the non-barbarian levels counting for half to progress his rage

No, that would be a bit excessive. Perhaps a second feat for that would grant that, but the normal formula for gaining class features through multiclass feats concerning the level the feat would be gained at is (Level class gains it at + 2). Also, for many of the class features gained, they are at least somewhat reduced.

However, if you're dead-bent on getting Greater Rage:

Havoc-Maker[Multiclass, Barbarian]
Prerequisites: Living Fury, Constitution 15, 13th level
Benefit: When raging, you may now rage as per the normal Rage class feature of the Barbarian. Additionally, you may expend three rounds of rage in order to rage for two rounds as per the Barbarian class feature Greater Rage. Lastly, you gain two additional rounds of rage per Barbarian Multiclass feat you have.

If multiple feats are to allow a more powerful Eidolon, it seems almost like going from 1/2(round up) to 3/4(round down) to possibly level-3 or something like that, since even a 17th level Eidolon for a 20th level character seems like a tough decision at the cost of 4 feats, but a decision that could be made.

It's tough to scale in a balanced manner, but I've added on the clause that for every Summoner Multiclass feat you have, you may increase your effective Summoner level by one for all purposes except determining Evolution Points, up to your level - 2. Given that you can get Summoner spellcasting through a few feats in the supplement this is based of off, that is a pretty nice deal in my opinion.

The second is that while you afford a way to get extra rage powers, you don't have a way to make the rage itself more powerful over time. Consider either a third feat allowing it to scale up to whatever Rage an equal level barbarian would have -2(Mighty Rage drops from 8 to 6, Greater Rage drops from 6 to 4) or adding some level lag to getting increased rage numbers into the base feat of Living Fury.

See above. Also, while Multiclass feats to afford characters the abilties of a class, they're almost never equal to a character close to their level at higher levels.

Take the Eldritch Heritage Line. If you sink four feats into that, you get all of the bloodline powers(but not Bloodline Arcana, bonus feats, or spells) of a bloodline, except the 20th level capstone. Granting a 20th level capstone, even if reduced, sort of takes out the point of why anyone might want to take levels in the class as their main class. Also, building that sort of scaling into one feat would most likely be overpowered.

Silvernale
2013-05-14, 05:54 PM
I was sure one of the player books had the option to swap character features like a paladin swapping smite evil for a barbarian rage.

Pyromancer999
2013-05-14, 07:48 PM
I was sure one of the player books had the option to swap character features like a paladin swapping smite evil for a barbarian rage.

Hm.....sounds like either an archetype(if the book you're talking about is for Pathfinder) a suggestion that would require DM/GM approval. Can't find any archetypes mentioning something like that, though. What book are you talking about?

Silvernale
2013-05-15, 12:16 PM
I think it was PHB 2

Pyromancer999
2013-05-15, 02:53 PM
I think it was PHB 2

I do not see it in there, nor anywhere, not entirely sure how that is relevant in any case.

In any case, feats like these are for people who want the class features of another class in addition to their existing class features, but do not actually want to take a level in that class.