PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems (Mechanical)

Gaelbert
2013-05-13, 12:38 AM
I've owned my laptop for 4 years now, and it has served admirably. It runs slow every now and then, sure, but no major problems. Unfortunately, the "h" key on my keyboard has suddenly become incredibly uncooperative. I have to press it exactly on the upper left corner, otherwise it won't register. It has slowed my typing immensely.
What options do I have? I'd rather not purchase a new laptop right now, although I suppose I could if it came to that. Is there any way to repair a keyboard? Cheaply and quickly?
If not, what sort of laptop should I get? I don't need anything fancy, I prefer small laptops, and while I would appreciate the ability to play modern or semi-modern video games, that's not really a priority. Money and reliability would be the key factors here. Also not an Apple.

Grinner
2013-05-13, 01:24 AM
Usually you just can pop the key off, but I'd be careful with a laptop's keyboard. They can be little delicate.

Anyway, it sounds like either the contact is bent or maybe something's jammed beneath it. It doesn't give any unusual resistance, does it?

If all else fails, these things are pretty easy to replace, since they usually just plug right into the motherboard.

Brother Oni
2013-05-13, 01:48 AM
I'm with Grinner - it sounds like there's something stuck underneath the key (probably on the bottom right corner) that's stopping it from making full contact with the switch below.
In my experience, it's usually a piece of hard (or ossified, depending on how long it's been there) food, so some cleaning is in order.

Pop the key off, check there's nothing physically blocking it, then reseat it properly. If it's still not working, then it's probably the contact.

factotum
2013-05-13, 01:55 AM
You could always buy a cheap USB keyboard and plug it in--it robs you of some of the portability of the laptop, of course, but it's not clear from your post whether that would be a problem or not.

Gaelbert
2013-05-13, 02:12 AM
Removed the keycap, checked underneath. Didn't find anything, but after putting the key back on it appears to be working fine now. Thanks!