PDA

View Full Version : Rules Question [PF]: Large 1-handed firearms

BTB
2013-05-13, 02:39 AM
"*Inappropriately Sized Firearms: You cannot make optimum use of a firearm that is not properly sized for you. A cumulative –2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between your size and the size of the firearm. If you are not proficient with the firearm, a –4 nonproficiency penalty also applies. The size of a firearm never affects how many hands you need to use to shoot it, the exception being siege firearms and Large or larger creatures. In most cases, a Large or larger creature can use a siege firearm as a two-handed firearm, but the creature takes a –4 penalty for using it this way because of its awkwardness.

Errata:
Do the inappropriately sized firearms rules allow a Medium or smaller creature to use larger firearms of any size?

The text of the rule is, "The size of a firearm never affects how many hands you need to use to shoot it." The intent of that rule was to prevent a Medium character from using a Small rifle as a one-handed pistol; it wasn’t intended to let a Medium character use a Large, Huge, Gargantuan, or Colossal two-handed firearm as a two-handed weapon. Just like with non-firearms, a creature cannot wield a weapon that’s far too big or small for it. Specifically in the case of firearms, a Medium character can’t use a two-handed firearm sized for a Large or larger creature, and a Small character can’t use a two-handed firearm sized for a Medium or larger creature."

Can a medium creature wield a large sized one handed firearm? If so, how many hands do they use to wield it, and do they take the -2 to attack rolls for an inappropriately sized weapon?

I ruled yes, with two hands, taking the penalty, but I wish to ensure I am being fair before handing down judgement to one of my players. Thank you.

Keneth
2013-05-13, 04:15 AM
While the rules wording got unnecessarily complicated, I believe the spirit of the rule is that weapons don't change handedness while still maintaining limitations as if they did. So you should probably be able to use a large pistol with one hand, taking the standard penalty, but you wouldn't be able to use a huge pistol or a large rifle, because the effective handedness would be past two-handed even though it technically doesn't change.

Ashtagon
2013-05-13, 04:25 AM
By strict RAW, a Colossal pistol is still a one-handed weapon for a halfling.

This is plainly ludicrous. Houserule it.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-13, 08:40 AM
House rule it.

I would go with allowing one size up at a -2, keeping the same handedness. Beyond that I would slap a clean "Not without turning it into a siege weapon" restriction.