PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me finish this Crusader

Feint's End
2013-05-13, 05:41 AM
Now I have some points I do know about the character but I'm not quite sure on adding the last parts and ingredients into it. So I decided to ask my fellow Playgrounders for help.

I posted the build sometime ago but in another context ... while asking for balance issues with the group.

First the build as it looks right now:

Draconic Lesser Aasimar Crusader 7/Cloistered Cleric 1/Warblade 2
str 22 (with +2 item) dex 18 (with +2 item) con 18 int 12 wis 11 cha 14 -- 99 Hp
-feats: Extra granted Maneuver (feattax), Traveldevotion (swift action move), Animaldevotion (mainly for the flightspeed), Combat reflexes (for wallbuild), Stand Still (for wallbuild), Power Attack (standard)

-gear to mention: Martial Discipline (Devoted Spirit) Naginata +1 with Weaponcrystal of lesser return, Masterwork Composit Longbow (str +6) with Weaponcrystal of least return, Mithralbreastplate +1 with Warning Armorblades +1, Heward's handy haversack, Scout's Headband (true seeing or see invis), Third eye Clarity (effect negation), Amulet of natural armor +1, Shadow Cloak (deflection to armor, concealment and teleport), dex and str +2 items + wand of lesser vigor on wandchamber

-maneuvers: Crusader:
1. Crusader's strike (change later), Charging Minotaur, Stone Bones (change later)
2. Mountain Hammer (dr and hardness suck)
3. White Raven Tactics (to make the best out of my init), Defensive Rebuke (Tankab. and awesome on aoo build)
4. White Raven Strike (for the ninja), Divine Surge (dmg)

Warblade:
1. Moment of perfect Mind (Wil is pretty weak), Steel wind (prequ.)
2. Emerald Razor (attack against touch ac if nec.)
3. Iron Heart Surge (neg. effect negation)

Stances: Bolstering Voice (in combat till Thicket of Blades), Hunter's Sense (out of combat), Martial Spirit

Now I know I want to get to Level 9 maneuvers in Crusader so 14 Levels here is mandatory and 1 Level Cloistered Cleric I'd really like to keep due to the devotions and the flavour it adds (have already quite a good backstory).

Originally I wanted to go with 5 Levels Warblade. 1 Level would probably a good idea anyways to snatch Iron Heart Surge and Hunter's Sense and a second Level for Uncanny Dodge (for what it's worth it). I planned on taking up to Level 5 for the Bonusfeat and Hearing the Air.

Now my point is I'm not quite sure on the Levels in Warblade and if there are better options in your experience. Probably just go with Levels in classes which grant feats? 2 Level Wb (or 1) 2 Level Fighter and 1 or 2 Level something else? Help!

only1doug
2013-05-13, 06:54 AM
Is there any reason why you aren't considering Ruby Knight Vindicator in your crusader / cleric build?

Perhaps:
Crusader 3 / Cloistered cleric 1 / warblade 1 / Ruby Knight Vindicator 5

building toward Crusader 6 / Cloistered cleric 1 / warblade 3 / Ruby Knight Vindicator 10

Crusder IL 18,
Warblade IL 16
Casts as L9 cleric

Feint's End
2013-05-13, 07:07 AM
Is there any reason why you aren't considering Ruby Knight Vindicator in your crusader / cleric build?

Perhaps:
Crusader 3 / Cloistered cleric 1 / warblade 1 / Ruby Knight Vindicator 5

building toward Crusader 6 / Cloistered cleric 1 / warblade 3 / Ruby Knight Vindicator 10

Crusder IL 18,
Warblade IL 16
Casts as L9 cleric

Hmm good call. I haven't thought about it yet.
After looking it up again I just realized though that there are several points which are problematic:
Low Wisdom (would increase MAD to new levels)
we already have a cleric (well that's not really a problem since I would be secondary)
I wanted to go CG and I'm not really fond of worshipping gods (would require Wee Jas so no travel and animal devotion)

The cleric dip is just for the devotion feats and the flavour .... the few spells I get I will put into survival (because we still have those elements)

Sadly too much problems with RKV after all. Thanks for the suggestion though

only1doug
2013-05-13, 07:29 AM
Hmm good call. I haven't thought about it yet.
After looking it up again I just realized though that there are several points which are problematic:
Low Wisdom (would increase MAD to new levels)
we already have a cleric (well that's not really a problem since I would be secondary)
I wanted to go CG and I hate worshipping gods (would require Wee Jas so no travel and animal devotion)

The cleric dip is just for the devotion feats and the flavour .... the few spells I get I will put into survival (because we still have those elements)

Sadly too much problems with RKV after all. Thanks for the suggestion though

Ok but:

Is your GM ok with re-fluffing classes (change RVK slightly to fit a more travel and animal based regime?)

Low(ish) wisdom isn't a problem, just because you have the caster level and spell slots doesn't mean you have to put high level spells in them, having lots of low level spells would hardly be broken.

Another option:

Crusader 3 / Cloistered cleric 1 / warblade 2 / swordsage 1 / Master of Nine 3

building toward
Crusader 11 / Cloistered cleric 1 / warblade 2 / Swordsage 1 / Master of 9 5

Crusder IL 18,
Warblade IL 13
Swordsage IL 13

Feint's End
2013-05-13, 07:47 AM
Ok but:

Is your GM ok with re-fluffing classes (change RVK slightly to fit a more travel and animal based regime?)

Low(ish) wisdom isn't a problem, just because you have the caster level and spell slots doesn't mean you have to put high level spells in them, having lots of low level spells would hardly be broken.

Another option:

Crusader 3 / Cloistered cleric 1 / warblade 2 / swordsage 1 / Master of Nine 3

building toward
Crusader 11 / Cloistered cleric 1 / warblade 2 / Swordsage 1 / Master of 9 5

Crusder IL 18,
Warblade IL 13
Swordsage IL 13

Hmm that's not that bad of an idea. I might try to talk with him about that. After all most of the abilities are not directly connected to Wee Jas so reflavouring should be possible.

I already thought about a Master of the Nine build but it ended up in the early phase because there is one big problem namely feats. I would like to play this character as a lockdown fighter so pretty much every feat intense prestige class is out ... including Master of the Nine.

Hmm maybe it would be possible if I go something like this 9 crusader 1 cloistered cleric 2 fighter 1 warblade 1 swordsage (unarmed variant) 1 class with bonusfeat .... that would take 4 feats of the prequisits (2 fighter, 1 swordsage, 1 other classe) +2 at level 12 and 15 (but meeting the prequs before Level 15 is almost impossible) ... I kinda like the idea though :smallamused:

Person_Man
2013-05-13, 08:40 AM
Suggestions:

Race: Draconic Lesser Aasimar: Why? IIRC, Draconic is a meh template with LA. Lesser Aasimar is an ok choice, but your Cha is fairly low, so you should probably just skip all Saving Throw related maneuvers. Consider Human (bonus feat), Dragonborn (flight), Warforged (immunities, slam), Korobokuru (+2 Con, -2 Int, dwarf abilities, Oriental Adventures).

Class: If you're interested in getting access to certain high level maneuvers, I personally would prefer to just go strait Crusader or Warblade instead of mucking around with odd multi-class combos. I presume Cloistered Cleric is for Turn Undead, to get Travel Devotion and Animal Devotion. But you'll probably be able to get all the Pounce and Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) you need from an Anklet of Translocation, Greaves of Aundair, Sudden Leap, White Raven Tactics, Faith Unswerving, Press the Advantage, Pouncing Charge, Desert Tempest, and probably other things I'm forgetting. Just spending one Feat on Martial Study for Sudden Leap and using a reach weapon should take care of most of your needs. And you can get flight from a bunch of different sources other then Animal Devotion.

Feats: In addition to dropping the Devotion feats, I don't think Extra Granted Maneuver is needed. When playing a Crusader I personally prefer to only Know maneuvers I'm always going to use, and cycle through them constantly (instead of Knowing a larger number, and sometimes getting screwed because I don't have the "right" one Readied).

Feint's End
2013-05-13, 11:27 AM
Suggestions:

Race: Draconic Lesser Aasimar: Why? IIRC, Draconic is a meh template with LA. Lesser Aasimar is an ok choice, but your Cha is fairly low, so you should probably just skip all Saving Throw related maneuvers. Consider Human (bonus feat), Dragonborn (flight), Warforged (immunities, slam), Korobokuru (+2 Con, -2 Int, dwarf abilities, Oriental Adventures).

Class: If you're interested in getting access to certain high level maneuvers, I personally would prefer to just go strait Crusader or Warblade instead of mucking around with odd multi-class combos. I presume Cloistered Cleric is for Turn Undead, to get Travel Devotion and Animal Devotion. But you'll probably be able to get all the Pounce and Free Movement (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103358) you need from an Anklet of Translocation, Greaves of Aundair, Sudden Leap, White Raven Tactics, Faith Unswerving, Press the Advantage, Pouncing Charge, Desert Tempest, and probably other things I'm forgetting. Just spending one Feat on Martial Study for Sudden Leap and using a reach weapon should take care of most of your needs. And you can get flight from a bunch of different sources other then Animal Devotion.

Feats: In addition to dropping the Devotion feats, I don't think Extra Granted Maneuver is needed. When playing a Crusader I personally prefer to only Know maneuvers I'm always going to use, and cycle through them constantly (instead of Knowing a larger number, and sometimes getting screwed because I don't have the "right" one Readied).

Mostly for flavour and because the Character is terribly MAD :/. I just like to have decent Charisma and Intelligence.
My problem with the races you listed is I don't like human as a player race (just personal preference), dragonborn come with the fluff I can't see working in this campaign, Korobokuru I again don't like the flavour for this character who should be a charismatic fighter kinda guy ... warforged could be an option though. Only problem would probably be my dm being sceptical about him :/ ... also I start an eberron campaign in summer (as dm) and getting warforged all over the world so I need to keep myself back a bit:smallwink:
Though I am really about happy how the race looks right now thank you for the suggestions.

@Class: Yeah I was thinking too about just going Crusader for more level. The Warblade is mainly for Iron Heart Surge and the Cloistered Cleric as you guessed right for Animal and Travel Devotion. I really do love those feats and the benefits are almost always worth it. Especially with adding nightsticks later on (+8 sacred bonus to strength? yes please)

Extra Granted maneuver increases the chance to get the right maneuvers instead of reducing it. The rules are pretty clear on that. The number of maneuvers readied stays the same (the pool you have during fight) but the rotation speed increases from 1 restoration every 4 rounds to 1 restoration every 3 rounds ... oh and after restoring you also have one more readied.
I don't really know why you meant it decreases your chance for the right maneuvers.