PDA

View Full Version : I think I have been hit with an Intelligent Item.

killem2
2013-05-13, 06:27 AM
So, in our last session, we stormed into this dragon's cave, and killed what I assume were some mini bosses and such.

Well my guy wanted their heads. He cut off one priest dudes head and apparently when I touched his goggles, I got this overwhelming feeling to put them on, and so I did. I have the ability to Identify 3/Day. Pretty cool, but I don't want it. I don't mind if the part has it, but I need my face slot open for another item. He said I would need to make a DC 15 will save any time I'm considering removing it. Well I don't know how much more about this item and I don't want to take the chance of something worse happening on a failure.

When I asked him if it is a mind effecting ability that is doing this, he wasn't sure and quoted this to me.

ITEMS AGAINST CHARACTERS
When an item has an Ego of its own, it has a will of its own. The item is, of course, absolutely true to its alignment. If the character who possesses the item is not true to that alignment’s goals or the item’s special purpose, personality conflict—item against character—results. Similarly, any item with an Ego score of 20 or higher always considers itself superior to any character, and a personality conflict results if the possessor does not always agree with the item.

When a personality conflict occurs, the possessor must make a Will saving throw (DC = item’s Ego). If the possessor succeeds, she is dominant. If she fails, the item is dominant. Dominance lasts for one day or until a critical situation occurs (such as a major battle, a serious threat to either the item or the character, and so on—DM’s discretion).

After looking myself it is under the Intelligent Item section. If I can find a way to become immune to Mind Effects, would these slip off with ease?

GodGoblin
2013-05-13, 07:29 AM
It doesnt state it is a mind affecting effect so technically no i dont think it does, but the DM may rule it works. Also all you really need to do is pass a will save so it might be easier to put your efforts into pumping that rather than gaining immunity.

Some potion of Owls Wisdom if one thing i can think of that helps that doesnt require a feat investment.

Speaking of feats there is False Pretenses, its a spell touched feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm) and might make for some flavorful ways around it, again still requires DM to rule it works

killem2
2013-05-13, 07:56 AM
It doesnt state it is a mind affecting effect so technically no i dont think it does, but the DM may rule it works. Also all you really need to do is pass a will save so it might be easier to put your efforts into pumping that rather than gaining immunity.

Some potion of Owls Wisdom if one thing i can think of that helps that doesnt require a feat investment.

Speaking of feats there is False Pretenses, its a spell touched feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm) and might make for some flavorful ways around it, again still requires DM to rule it works

i was thinking of a potion of feign death actually.

http://dndtools.eu/spells/tome-and-blood-a-guidebook-to-wizards-and-sorcerers--51/feign-death--3407/

I think that would do it. Drink it, I go dead for a bit, some one removes it and we're all good?

Diarmuid
2013-05-13, 11:59 AM
It's a simply DC 15 Will save. Just make the save and take it off, unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-13, 12:22 PM
If you really want those Identify castings, tell the other PCs to let you cast Identify with it, then remove it from you.

It's screwing with your head, and that ain't no good.

hewhosaysfish
2013-05-13, 12:43 PM
Could you use the goggles to identify themselves?

jindra34
2013-05-13, 12:44 PM
Also the description sounds closer to a cursed item than an intelligent item. Just because of the will save on a specific trigger.

Flickerdart
2013-05-13, 12:45 PM
Get a protection from evil cast on yourself, then the item can't control you.

However, an item with an Ego score of 15 would be incredibly powerful, and can probably do a lot more than just identify stuff. Definitely figure out what else it does before you sell it.

killem2
2013-05-13, 12:52 PM
Also the description sounds closer to a cursed item than an intelligent item. Just because of the will save on a specific trigger.

The dm said it isn't curse :(. We did Identify it. I have a whole slew of descriptions he gave me, can give you those when I get home tonight.

dascarletm
2013-05-13, 12:57 PM
The dm said it isn't curse :(. We did Identify it. I have a whole slew of descriptions he gave me, can give you those when I get home tonight.

Analyze Dwomer if you suspect there may be more to learn.

jindra34
2013-05-13, 01:02 PM
Remember the Identify spell only has a percent chance equal to its caster level to actually pick up on an item being cursed. So I wouldn't bet on it actually being accurate on that.

killem2
2013-05-13, 02:08 PM
When i sent my dm an email a few hours ago letting him know it would be his call to decide if this is a true mind effect, he only wrote back:

The Ego is 18 or 19 it gets a +1 for special abilities, I am not sure if that is for the items abilities or not. It does not say under the chart for the ego and it does not show an example for items, just for magic weapons.

I am giving you a bonus because of who you are. Your better then a kobold, but any one else in the party may be better off. It does not want to let you know its intelligent, because it is worried you might brake him. He does not know you yet and thinks you’re an uncivilized brute, and is not very intelligent. I mean in his eyes, your dumb, who in there right mind would want to bull rush a dragon, not once more three times. No one has spoken a language it knows. So it has not spoke up.