PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Uber-mounts; Dungeoneering?

Vaz
2013-05-13, 06:38 AM
I'm wondering exactly how a Dragon in an Ubermount would be able to fit in a "normal" campaign.

Is there any way to have it shrunk to Large size?

Amnestic
2013-05-13, 06:49 AM
Destroy the dungeon from the outside. Anything valuable enough to be worth looting will survive the collapse.

peacenlove
2013-05-13, 06:59 AM
Destroy the dungeon from the outside. Anything valuable enough to be worth looting will survive the collapse.

Such as scrolls, spellbooks and potions?

Savage species has a ritual that grants incorporeality, achieving pretty much dungeon functionality. Ghost form is an 8th level spell that can grant incorporeality for 1 round / level. Shapechange into an incorporeal would have a similar function.

Polymorph (any object) it into something smaller.

Dungeonbred template (Dungeonscape) also makes it smaller.

Rhynn
2013-05-13, 07:02 AM
A dragon that is squeezing is still a dragon.

Squeezing: In some cases, you may have to squeeze into or through an area that isn’t as wide as the space you take up. You can squeeze through or into a space that is at least half as wide as your normal space. Each move into or through a narrow space counts as if it were 2 squares, and while squeezed in a narrow space you take a –4 penalty on attack rolls and a –4 penalty to AC.

When a Large creature (which normally takes up four squares) squeezes into a space that’s one square wide, the creature’s miniature figure occupies two squares, centered on the line between the two squares. For a bigger creature, center the creature likewise in the area it squeezes into.

A creature can squeeze past an opponent while moving but it can’t end its movement in an occupied square.

To squeeze through or into a space less than half your space’s width, you must use the Escape Artist skill. You can’t attack while using Escape Artist to squeeze through or into a narrow space, you take a –4 penalty to AC, and you lose any Dexterity bonus to AC.

I'd say dragon mounts "fit" in dungeons better than horses.

How are you getting a Huge or bigger dragon mount anyway, though? That's usually fairly hard. (I mean, there's surely ways, but it's hard and requires high levels.)

GodGoblin
2013-05-13, 07:34 AM
The Dungeonbred template does just that, makes a creature a smaller size while keeping its potency.

Snowbluff
2013-05-13, 07:45 AM
No.

Why aren't you playing a Halfing with a Medium Creature for your mount?

Vaz
2013-05-13, 08:13 AM
Because different? And yeah, the trick with Dungeonbred won't work as it is inherited, not applied. Incorporeal won't work as, you know, it's a mount.

And comments like break the dungeon don't help. Or else I'd have just hired a load of miners.

Item of continual Compression (augmented to reduce by two sizes); would that help?

Snowbluff
2013-05-13, 08:15 AM
You would need one for you and one for your dragon and a DM dumb enough to allow custom magic items.

Seriously, Halfing with a Medium Gold Dragon.

Amnestic
2013-05-13, 08:24 AM
And comments like break the dungeon don't help. Or else I'd have just hired a load of miners.

Well maybe you hadn't considered large explosions and destroying vast swaths of land atop the back of an enormous magical hyper-intelligent flying fire-breathing lizard.

Gotta make sure the bases are covered.

Darrin
2013-05-13, 08:46 AM
You would need one for you and one for your dragon and a DM dumb enough to allow custom magic items.

Not a custom item. Ring of Reduction is in Lords of Madness, continuous effect reduces the wearer's size by one category. Costs 20K, though.

How exactly did the dragon get large/huge/etc.? Class features that increase a mount's HD generally don't increase its size. Start with a young enough dragon (many of them start out as small or medium size wyrmlings) and you can probably keep its size manageable to a certain extent.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-13, 10:20 AM
A&EG has a collar that turns any creature to small without adjusting stats. Get your dragon mount to small size, and give it ranks in ride. Have it cling to your backpack and ride you. It can switch between flying (it's carry capacity is still normal) and riding you with the mounted combat feat to deflect blows aimed at you.

I did this with a dread necro that used zombie dragons as jetpacks. 200ft fly (clumsy) is a great move action.

Coidzor
2013-05-13, 12:52 PM
Mounted Combat + Tunnel Fighting > Tunnel Riding.

Now your Large mount can fit in medium spaces just fine with you riding it.

I'm wondering exactly how a Dragon in an Ubermount would be able to fit in a "normal" campaign.

Is there any way to have it shrunk to Large size?

How are you getting it above Large Size to begin with?