PDA

View Full Version : New Handbook

RFLS
2013-05-13, 01:01 PM
I'm about finished with the wrapping up I have on my Swordage handbook, which I'll be uploading at some point today or tomorrow (FINALLY. 20 hours of classes is a bear). Anyway, I have a few weeks to kill, and was wondering if it'd be worth my time to write another handbook, and if so, what for.

I'm leaning towards a Warblade handbook, because the few I've found are pretty small or just incomplete. However, I'm completely open to suggestions for other classes, prestige classes, or general sections of the rules (I've looked at a guide to crafting before). Thoughts?

EDIT: For clarification, I'm asking for specific thoughts on the a new Warblade handbook, for thoughts on a crafting handbook, and general input on any other handbook that we might currently be missing.

Amphetryon
2013-05-13, 02:08 PM
The Psychic Warrior handbook here is both fairly old (2010, with the creator having posted very little here, if at all, since that time) and very brief, with several points listed as "contentious" at the moment.

Gildedragon
2013-05-13, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a more complete Binder Handbook, both I've seen are pretty incomplete.
A crafting handbook would be interesting.

Suteinu
2013-05-13, 02:58 PM
For obscurity's sake, how`bout Dragon Compendium's Jester?

Uncle Pine
2013-05-13, 04:14 PM
I'd personally love a complete Warblade handbook: Warblade is a wonderful class, but I never actually had the time to understand it until a few weeks ago. I think that a good handbook would really help new players who want to give Warblade a chance understand how the class works and what it can really accomplish :smallsmile:

Pesimismrocks
2013-05-13, 04:17 PM
Swashbuckler really needs a handbook. I love the feel and fluff of the class but I can't find a handbook anywhere

Grod_The_Giant
2013-05-13, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a more complete Binder Handbook, both I've seen are pretty incomplete.
A crafting handbook would be interesting.
A Binder handbook would be really useful, actually. None of the ones I've seen have been that useful.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-13, 04:19 PM
Huh, I've actually been pretty happy with the Binder resources I've found.

HunterOfJello
2013-05-13, 04:24 PM
Sorcerer or Favored Soul. They're both Tier 2 classes with hardly any support.

I've been tempted to make handbooks for them myself, but have been afraid that i'll just end up stopping halfway through and not be able to finish the job.

Amnestic
2013-05-13, 04:27 PM
A Binder handbook would be really useful, actually. None of the ones I've seen have been that useful.

The main problem with Binder Handbooks in my experience is a problem that the Binder class itself had: Poor/Confusing layout. I'm not sure if it was a coincidental problem or something inherent to the Binder class itself, but that's my main complaint about the Binder handbooks I've seen.

That said, I'd love to see a Warblade one personally. For all the love ToB gets the lack of complete and comprehensive handbooks for it seems really quite strange.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-05-13, 04:31 PM
If you want to fill a niche that doesn't have much support, but which would get regular use:

The Druid and Cleric spell lists could use some breaking down in the same way as the old "God's Tools" articles for the wizard.

The Paladin spell list could use somebody going through all the options (just about every book builds on it) and filtering out the high points. Actually, when considering the paladin's mount options and dragon mag content that wasn't addressed in the old handbooks, a whole new paladin guide could probably be justified.

Gnorman wrote a nice guide for Evil Planar Binding/Ally choices, but elementals and non-evil outsiders could use a good reference. Maybe also the Spirit Binding/Ally spells (there's one sort of included in the OA Shaman handbook, but it's a pretty minimalistic single post).

The Blackguard is a core class with a ton of splatbook expansions, but no central resource to give an idea of just what the spell or two it gained per supplement add up to.

The existing Sorcerer's handbook is messy, often flippant, doesn't really go into important subjects like ACFs or race, and doesn't pay much attention to noncore options. It could use a redux.

Favored Soul doesn't have a handbook, and could probably use one. The major content it would need would be a cleric spell list breakdown, analysis of ACFs (including recommended sorcerer spell choices for the Dragon Magic one) and a summation of how to build a FS by role (since mental stat distribution and permanent spell choices mean a High-Wis DC-using debuffer/offensive caster FS has to be built differently from a Low-Wis buffer/controller/melee FS).

eggynack
2013-05-13, 04:40 PM
The Druid and Cleric spell lists could use some breaking down in the same way as the old "God's Tools" articles for the wizard.

I've always been a bit dissatisfied with the current druid handbook. The spell ratings are nonexistent, and there should be more there in general. Moreover, the thing doesn't have an item section at all. It seems like a rather important thing to have when it's so tricky to equip a druid. A more comprehensive breakdown of druids in general would be pretty cool. It's also missing prestige classes, of which there are at least a few relevant ones, and could use some better formatting in general. It's definitely a thing worth doing, though I don't know if it's the thing most worth doing. Finally, the guide doesn't list primal instinct or the heart of x spells. Those spells are seriously fantastic.

danzibr
2013-05-13, 04:53 PM
Rather than making a base class handbook (though as mentioned there are plenty of good options there) you could pick your few favorite PrC's and go to town. Well one at a time. But they'd be a lot easier to make and I'm sure there are a few out there which need some love.

WhatBigTeeth
2013-05-13, 05:38 PM
Some more concepts I can see that could use guidebooks, which would be more widely applicable than digging up an obscure class (or one without any unique character-building nuances):

Craft Construct in general - What all can you build? Which of those are worth building? How can building them be made worthwhile (cost reduction, spells/effects/classes that boost constructs, cool tricks)?

Stronghold Building - How can you get the most bang for your buck?

Mounts could probably use a handbook, detailing: 1) How exactly the actions involved in mounted combat work, 2) How to get mounts (there are tons of classes, feats and spells for this, of varying utility) and 3) What materials specifically complements mounted styles.

With the old IP-proofing handbook gone, a dull but potentially very useful resource would be an index and summary of the ways of gaining various immunities.

And just spitballing a few concepts that might need guides, but which I'm not sure have enough material to fill full handbooks:

Alchemy (what all can be crafted, what's good, how to use it well; might be able to mix this with potion-crafting in an Alchemical Savant guide)
Symbionts (if they only exist in 2 books, forget it, but if there are any dragon magazine supplements or non-MoE/ECS add-ons, this could be practical)
Ambush feats or a generalized reference for melee rider effects. These tend to be referenced in guides like person_man's melee combos or class-specific handbooks like the rogue or fighter guides, but they're one of the easiest ways for mundane classes to contribute something more than HP damage and I don't believe they have a consolidated reference, so they could deserve a guide of their own.
Turn/Rebuke Undead. Carnivore's guide (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872990/Comprehensive_Guide_to_Turning) was good, but is far out of date. Just updating it with MIC would add something like 12 HD of commanded undead to a cleric's resources. I'm pretty sure Complete Champion other late-3e sources added to turning's force and applicability (there's that spell that lets it work against outsiders, for example), and I don't think the alternate turn/rebuke methods (commanding plants, animals, elementals and so forth) get any acknowledgement in the old thread.

Vaz
2013-05-13, 05:48 PM
Divine Mind? :).

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-13, 05:48 PM
I cast my vote for Warblade - it's a great class and could use some more in-depth analysis.

For those of you looking for binder stuffs... you've probably already seen these, but they've been great for me:
Consolidated Binder Handbook (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Consolidated_Binder_Handbook_%283.5e_Guide%29)

Full, Organized list of Vestiges by Level/Ability (http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Consolidated_Binder_Handbook_%283.5e_Guide%29/Vestiges)

All Of the Non-ToM Vestiges (www.scribd.com/doc/38835505/Tome-of-Magic-Additional-Vestige-Collection-v2-1-2)

zeboss
2013-05-13, 06:06 PM
Erudite handbook would be nice, if you have the time.

FreakyCheeseMan
2013-05-13, 06:16 PM
I have what sounds like a joke but actually is not: A Commoner's Handbook.

The Commoner's Handbook would be a guide to things you can do without spells or class features and, preferably, without magic items. So, feats, skills, and mundane uses of WBL.

Examples:

Poisons
Trained Animals
Special Equipment
Alchemical Items
Open-To-Anyone Feats
Skill Tricks
101 Uses of 10-Foot-Polls

Of course, (next to) no one is gonna build a Commoner. But I imagine that, if you did a good job, people might look over the guide whatever class they were playing, as a way to squeeze in some extra power or versatility in surprising ways, particularly at low levels.

thethird
2013-05-13, 06:19 PM
There already is a commoner handbook, and it is pretty good, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232822).

I normally use this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11235.0) for binder.

I personally would like a Sha'ir handbook (because the one that exists, this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10153.0) one isn't as extensive as I would like) but do anything you feel like it, a Warblade handbook will be nice. Handbooks are always nice.

herrhauptmann
2013-05-13, 06:22 PM
Gish handbook?

But that's so broad, especially since a lot of people also use the term Gish to include divine casting or psionics, not just arcane+martial.

So perhaps a handbook just for gish spells? I die a little each time I see someone say that fireball is a good gish spell. Or any other spell that relies on direct damage or requires the enemy make a save for it to be useful. (For instance, I'd say that Phantasmal Killer is an even worse spell for a gish than it is for a regular illusionist)

SciChronic
2013-05-13, 06:29 PM
i would love to see a factotum handbook that better highlights their melee combat capabilities, all the ones i've read just touch on it for a paragraph or so.

A warblade handbook sounds great, but give more light to multiclassing options, again, lack of material in that area.

Phelix-Mu
2013-05-13, 06:35 PM
I'm about finished with the wrapping up I have on my Swordage handbook, which I'll be uploading at some point today or tomorrow (FINALLY. 20 hours of classes is a bear). Anyway, I have a few weeks to kill, and was wondering if it'd be worth my time to write another handbook, and if so, what for.

I'm leaning towards a Warblade handbook, because the few I've found are pretty small or just incomplete. However, I'm completely open to suggestions for other classes, prestige classes, or general sections of the rules (I've looked at a guide to crafting before). Thoughts?

EDIT: For clarification, I'm asking for specific thoughts on the a new Warblade handbook, for thoughts on a crafting handbook, and general input on any other handbook that we might currently be missing.

Hello. I would like to complement you on the excellent quality of the Swordsage Handbook.

If you do warblade, please include # of pre-req maneuvers in your indexing of the maneuvers available. It's very helpful information to have all in one place online. (You may have heard this comment recently in other places...sorry for the redundancy.):smallwink:

A section on clever uses of the Crown of the White Raven-esque items would be nice too. I've been unclear on how they operate for a while, and, depending on interpretation, they stand to be a very worthwhile investment for any initiator.

I would like a Stealth Handbook/Guide. It's one of the least straightforward aspects of the game, and it is the backbone of a whole slew of classes. A list of synergies, ACFs, interpretations, and such of Hide/Move Silently (and the closely related Spot/Listen) rules would be awesome. Apologies if this is already out there.

Invader
2013-05-13, 06:43 PM
I've never been a fan of the artificer handbook. I think it's pretty poorly put together and not all that intuitive.

I'd agree with a mounted combat handbook as well.

I've often considered making a new druid handbook for all the exact reasons given here. I think it's a great start but I think there could be a lot added to it. If anyone is interested in tagteaming that one with me I'd be interested.

Kane0
2013-05-13, 06:44 PM
Gish handbook?

But that's so broad, especially since a lot of people also use the term Gish to include divine casting or psionics, not just arcane+martial.

Perhaps do either Magus or Duskblade then add a section called 'alternative classes' right next to the 'prestige classes' section?

If not Gish, then Warblade and crusader are both good.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-13, 06:54 PM
Swashbuckler really needs a handbook. I love the feel and fluff of the class but I can't find a handbook anywhere

I'd love to see a swashbuckler handbook. I mean, who hasn't wanted to play the Dread Pirate Roberts?

Divine Mind? :).

eggs wrote up a pretty good one, actually (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246926). It basically boils down to "The Ectopic Ally ACF is not an option - it's common sense". It's also got a pretty good review of the mantles presented in CPsi.

RFLS
2013-05-13, 10:04 PM
I have what sounds like a joke but actually is not: A Commoner's Handbook.

Ooh...I like this one. *adds to consideration list*

Hello. I would like to complement you on the excellent quality of the Swordsage Handbook.

If you do warblade, please include # of pre-req maneuvers in your indexing of the maneuvers available. It's very helpful information to have all in one place online. (You may have heard this comment recently in other places...sorry for the redundancy.):smallwink:

A section on clever uses of the Crown of the White Raven-esque items would be nice too. I've been unclear on how they operate for a while, and, depending on interpretation, they stand to be a very worthwhile investment for any initiator.

I would like a Stealth Handbook/Guide. It's one of the least straightforward aspects of the game, and it is the backbone of a whole slew of classes. A list of synergies, ACFs, interpretations, and such of Hide/Move Silently (and the closely related Spot/Listen) rules would be awesome. Apologies if this is already out there.

I actually just finished up adding prereqs to maneuvers for the SS handbook based on your previous suggestion (I do everything on my hard drive first. I have finicky internet access). Good suggestion, definitely don't mind seeing that you care enough to follow up.

Hmm....I do like the idea of a Stealth handbook. I like me mah Stealth skills.

I've never been a fan of the artificer handbook. I think it's pretty poorly put together and not all that intuitive.

I'd agree with a mounted combat handbook as well.

I've often considered making a new druid handbook for all the exact reasons given here. I think it's a great start but I think there could be a lot added to it. If anyone is interested in tagteaming that one with me I'd be interested.

Sadly, I'm not a big fan of/player of druids or mounted characters, so I don't feel that I'd do either of those justice. However....an artificer handbook could be worth a shot.

Perhaps do either Magus or Duskblade then add a section called 'alternative classes' right next to the 'prestige classes' section?

I've seen a few mentions of a Gish handbook go by in this thread. Isn't there already one?

herrhauptmann
2013-05-14, 12:05 AM

It would have to evaluate all the classes for gishes, not just Magus/dusk blade.

Fighter, war blade, barb, rgr, rogue, wiz, sorc, crusader, pal...
And almost every prc too. Even sublime chord has use in a Gish build : bard/swiftblade/sublime chord/abjurant champ for a dervish type. With fractionals, you can get 16bab and 9th level spells

Which is why I think a Gish spell handbook would at least be manageable.

Jopustopin
2013-05-14, 11:52 AM
No on has made the following handbooks (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=399.0):

Swashbuckler
Wu Jen
Favored Soul

From the above I'd go with Favored Soul. But, there is a class that has flown under the radar for far too long.

Nightstalker - Page 153 Races of Ansalon. Bring it to light!

Alternatively I started to make an Eternal Blade handbook that got thrown to the side (But I have a lot of my notes). It is probably the best melee prestige class that would actually be allowed in a real campaign. I don't know a DM in existence that would allow me to play a war hulk. A frenzied berserker maybe, but then eternal blade is still probably better.

Eternal Blade Spoiler

The Eternal Blade's Handbook

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Jopustopin/Mallory.jpg
Sun Tzu on taking four full attack actions in a row:
"Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?"
-Sun Tzu

Amnestic
2013-05-14, 12:07 PM
Nightstalker - Page 153 Races of Ansalon. Bring it to light!

I don't think the Dragonlance stuff is considered 1st party, which is probably part of the problem :P

ericp65
2013-05-14, 12:42 PM
Have there been any race-specific handbooks written? Would it be worthwhile to do so, given that race is taken into account in the various class handbooks?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-14, 12:58 PM
No on has made the following handbooks (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=399.0):

Swashbuckler
Wu Jen
Favored Soul

From the above I'd go with Favored Soul. But, there is a class that has flown under the radar for far too long.

*Coughcough* (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246975)

I mean sure, it's still a work in progress, but still...

Shining Wrath
2013-05-14, 01:09 PM
I'd appreciate a Warblade handbook as I'm playing one right now ... and might have some suggestions as well.

Sha'ir or Beguiler?

Oscredwin
2013-05-14, 01:12 PM

It sort of is already out there... (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11034.0)

Asteron
2013-05-14, 01:36 PM
I don't think the Dragonlance stuff is considered 1st party, which is probably part of the problem :P

There is an official 3.5 Dragonlance campaign setting published by WotC.

Amnestic
2013-05-14, 01:45 PM
There is an official 3.5 Dragonlance campaign setting published by WotC.

I'm aware, but I'm pretty sure everything other than the Campaign Setting (including Races of Ashalon - the book the class in question came from) isn't from WotC - it's third party. I did oversimplify though, so you are correct in pointing that out :smalltongue:

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-14, 05:09 PM
I'm aware, but I'm pretty sure everything other than the Campaign Setting (including Races of Ashalon - the book the class in question came from) isn't from WotC - it's third party. I did oversimplify though, so you are correct in pointing that out :smalltongue:

Correct - only the Campaign Setting Book is first party.

thethird
2013-05-14, 05:15 PM
Another handbook, one that I might end writing someday, is one about using optional spell components and (ab)using the hat of many spells (which is one of my favorite magic items).

Jopustopin
2013-05-14, 06:18 PM

I actually didn't know that. It looks, I dunno "official."

RFLS
2013-05-15, 11:40 AM
Looks like a Warblade handbook, and I'll see how I feel about an Artificer handbook when I finish.