PDA

View Full Version : Chosen one Bloodlines that didn't go wrong.

t209
2013-05-13, 03:20 PM
Whenever someone made a story about a bloodline that came from chosen one, it went wrong. Here's many (http://s909.photobucket.com/user/caffeineincluded/media/NotTheBestAtComforting_zpse374b6a8.png.html) examples (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Targaryen) :smallyuk:. However, there are examples of many bloodlines that are not screwed up or smart enough not to got Charles II of Spain's and Redneck family tree.
- Septim Dynasty from Elderscrolls Series
- Most bloodlines from Fire Emblem (except for evil nobles, which outnumbered the good ones, from Fire Emblem Jugdral
Even though some of them are trying to do right thing, like Travant's extreme will to save Thracia and Arvis even though he married his half sister (uhh, canonical revision).
- Juniper Lee
So is there any examples of these?

Eldan
2013-05-13, 03:50 PM
The Septim had their fair share of effed up and/or evil.

Kitten Champion
2013-05-13, 04:12 PM
The Riyria Revelations. Although "chosen one" is a little bit of a misnomer, as a predestination element isn't there, but the distant heir of the exalted bloodline becoming the saviour is a major element.

Frodo Baggins outshines his uncle in many respects. Not sure if "chosen" is the right word, but there certainly are fate elements at work regarding the Baggins.

Star Wars kind of has this, with the ironic twist of the bloodline succeeding where the chosen one fell. I haven't really read the EU, but I'm led to be believe the Skywalker kids get into whacky hijinx and become sort of a big deal as well.

Hitman Tutor Reborn is basically about this, with the Vongola mafia bloodline successor being a supposed failure at first only to become the chivalrous hero and bestest boss evah as the story goes on.

Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouts are... royalty? Of some kind. I vaguely remember the details but that they're reincarnations/decedents of space royalty is what I think happened. Moon and Tuxedo Mask's pink haired daughter is pretty good at any rate.

Naruto is the chosen one himself technically, but his bloodline is a pretty big deal. Again, failure turned bestest ninja evah.

Ansurimbor Kellhus, although "wrong" here is pretty subjective.

Deepbluediver
2013-05-13, 04:26 PM
What exactly do you mean by bloodline? There are stories about individuals that are predicted to have a certain fate, but one person does not a "bloodline" make, IMO. Many of the real-world (and some fictional) lines of royalty developed genetic disorders because of all the inbreeding, but I'm not sure that counts as "going wrong" as much as it's just a misunderstanding of how sexual reproduction works.

The Riyria Revelations. Although "chosen one" is a little bit of a misnomer, as a predestination element isn't there, but the distant heir of the exalted bloodline becoming the saviour is a major element.

Frodo Baggins outshines his uncle in many respects. Not sure if "chosen" is the right word, but there certainly are fate elements at work regarding the Baggins.

Star Wars kind of has this, with the ironic twist of the bloodline succeeding where the chosen one fell. I haven't really read the EU, but I'm led to be believe the Skywalker kids get into whacky hijinx and become sort of a big deal as well.

Hitman Tutor Reborn is basically about this, with the Vongola mafia bloodline successor being a supposed failure at first only to become the chivalrous hero and bestest boss evah as the story goes on.

Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouts are... royalty? Of some kind. I vaguely remember the details but that they're reincarnations/decedents of space royalty is what I think happened. Moon and Tuxedo Mask's pink haired daughter is pretty good at any rate.

Naruto is the chosen one himself technically, but his bloodline is a pretty big deal. Again, failure turned bestest ninja evah.

Ansurimbor Kellhus, although "wrong" here is pretty subjective.

I'm not familiar with all of these but...

Star Wars- In the EU, I think it's been pointed out that Luke goes on to eventually follow pretty much the EXACT same path as his father, because apparently the original 3 movies had more to do with luck than actual writing talent

LotR- is just 2 people (who aren't even parent-child related) enough to count as a "Bloodline"?

Sailor Moon- I think this is more of a spiritual reincarnation

Naruto- I stopped reading this a while back, but isn't Naruto's power based on his demon-possession instead of his parentage? The Uchia family might be a better example, though I quit following the story before they unravled who was good, who was evil, and who was just being an idiotic tosser.

Kitten Champion
2013-05-13, 04:40 PM
I'm not familiar with all of these but...

Star Wars- In the EU, I think it's been pointed out that Luke goes on to eventually follow pretty much the EXACT same path as his father, because apparently the original 3 movies had more to do with luck than actual writing talent

Really? Crap.

LotR- is just 2 people (who aren't even parent-child related) enough to count as a "Bloodline"?

Aragorn would probably be a better example, in retrospect.

Sailor Moon- I think this is more of a spiritual reincarnation

Yeah, I think you're right.

Naruto- I stopped reading this a while back, but isn't Naruto's power based on his demon-possession instead of his parentage? The Uchia family might be a better example, though I quit following the story before they unravled who was good, who was evil, and who was just being an idiotic tosser.

It's not really important if you aren't reading the manga, but Naruto - being a Mary Sue - has super awesome parents and ancestors.

LaZodiac
2013-05-13, 04:40 PM
The Uchiha were revealed to literally be genetically predisposed to evil. So yha, they're tossers.

Anyway, bloodline wise, hmm...there are a lot of family lines in the Redwall books that are fairly consistent and good. If you're related to Martin the warrior in some way, you're gonna be a badass guy, no "taint" to it like you mentioned with the Targaryen.

thethird
2013-05-13, 04:45 PM
God-Emperor Leto Atreides II of the Atreides bloodline qualifies (I guess).

navar100
2013-05-13, 05:04 PM
Technically speaking, the Chosen One did succeed in bringing balance to the force by killing the Emperor.

"From a certain point of view." :smallbiggrin:

T-O-E
2013-05-13, 05:10 PM
God-Emperor Leto Atreides II of the Atreides bloodline qualifies (I guess).

That's kind of the opposite. The house was cursed when it began. You can't really get much worse than the likes of Tantalus, Pelops and Atreus. I guess at least Agamemnon's sacrifice made some kind of sense and wasn't just 'haha, you just committed cannibalism, trolled' which was apparently their go-to prank.

After many years, with Apollo by his side, he pleaded to Athena. No descendant of Atreus had ever done so noble an act and 'neither he nor any descendant of his would ever again be driven into evil by the irresistible power of the past.' Thus Orestes ended the curse of the House of Atreus.

t209
2013-05-13, 05:20 PM
The Septim had their fair share of effed up and/or evil.
Mostly it's because of ambition or amulet that causes madness (in the case of Pelagius Septim).

kitep
2013-05-13, 10:23 PM
The House of El (ie, Superman's, aka Kal-El, family). Both stories set in the past and the future have shown his family to be remarkable.

Zevox
2013-05-13, 10:30 PM
I think you might be confusing Luke with his nephew, Jacen Solo. Jacen basically went through the same thing as his grandfather, becoming Darth Caedus, and ultimately was killed by his sister Jaina. Luke, at least up to the most recent novels, is the Grandmaster of the New Jedi Order, and still the same good person he was in the movies.

t209
2013-05-13, 11:04 PM
That's kind of the opposite. The house was cursed when it began. You can't really get much worse than the likes of Tantalus, Pelops and Atreus. I guess at least Agamemnon's sacrifice made some kind of sense and wasn't just 'haha, you just committed cannibalism, trolled' which was apparently their go-to prank.
Which Agamemnon? Dune or the original Greek Myths (both of them are unlucky but Oedipus married his own mom by mistake:smallyuk:). If it was dune, then I didn't know about that.

Deepbluediver
2013-05-14, 12:00 AM
I think you might be confusing Luke with his nephew, Jacen Solo. Jacen basically went through the same thing as his grandfather, becoming Darth Caedus, and ultimately was killed by his sister Jaina. Luke, at least up to the most recent novels, is the Grandmaster of the New Jedi Order, and still the same good person he was in the movies.

I thought it was Luke, but I could be wrong. I'm not a star wars expert. I'll try to track down where I read it.

Shyftir
2013-05-14, 12:43 AM
Luke goes to the darkside to "save the galaxy" and gets brought back by Leia reaching out to him. It was part of the Dark Empire (Crimson Empire?) series. It didn't last. Jacen goes straight up off the deep-end and becomes a Sith Lord.

Zevox
2013-05-14, 12:53 AM
Luke goes to the darkside to "save the galaxy" and gets brought back by Leia reaching out to him. It was part of the Dark Empire (Crimson Empire?) series. It didn't last.
Oh right, those comics. I've never read them, so I tend to forget they exist. Which is probably for the best, really. They sound awful, especially with the whole "reborn Emperor" part.

But yeah, that got reversed in the same story it happened, so still doesn't qualify for what Deepbluediver was saying.

Bastian Weaver
2013-05-15, 01:32 PM

Yeah, the Atreides had it hard. But at least Menelaus got the hottest wife of them all!

Somewhere
2013-05-15, 03:09 PM
Dragon Quest I through III

I stars the descendant of a hero
II stars the descendants of that descendant of a hero
III stars that hero (or heroine), who is also the child of a hero

Deepbluediver
2013-05-15, 03:14 PM
Oh right, those comics. I've never read them, so I tend to forget they exist. Which is probably for the best, really. They sound awful, especially with the whole "reborn Emperor" part.

But yeah, that got reversed in the same story it happened, so still doesn't qualify for what Deepbluediver was saying.

Yeah, that sounds like it then. For some reason I was under the impression that everything in the Star Wars EU was cannon, and that the whole thing was less tangled than the Marvel/DC storylines.

T-O-E
2013-05-15, 04:38 PM
Yeah, the Atreides had it hard. But at least Menelaus got the hottest wife of them all!

Yeah, Menelaus' life wasn't too bad. I mean technically he had to get his brother to start a war to get her back and it took him 10 years but after that everything was fine. And apparently his wife got him into the Elysian fields so that's even better.

The_Snark
2013-05-15, 04:43 PM
Yeah, that sounds like it then. For some reason I was under the impression that everything in the Star Wars EU was cannon, and that the whole thing was less tangled than the Marvel/DC storylines.

The Star Wars EU is canon... from a certain point of view.

On-topic, I was going to bring up Aragorn but it seems that was already mentioned.

Salbazier
2013-05-15, 08:53 PM
Aragorn would probably be a better example, in retrospect.

That bloodline ended up just fine with it last branch and last descendant. But, they also got the Numenorean Kings branch that went corrupt and Gondorian kings branch that ended up wiped out.

Kyberwulf
2013-05-15, 11:35 PM
I don't know if Frodo outshines anyone. He wines the whole way threw the book and movies. Than at the ends. Fails his quest. He gets to the valcano, then turns around and says the ring is his. In the end evil triumph over good. It was Des ex Machina that the ring was destroyed.

Frozen_Feet
2013-05-16, 03:49 AM
The Phantom (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicStrip/ThePhantom) comes to mind.

Cespenar
2013-05-16, 04:12 AM
It was Des ex Machina that the ring was destroyed.

Yeah, the creature that has the strongest obsession on the ring (not to mention being one of the most important characters in the books) making one last attempt to save his object of obsession from being completely destroyed... is a Deus Ex Machina. That sounds legit.

More on subject though, I'd nominate the Armstrong bloodline from Fullmetal Alchemist. :smalltongue:

Silver Swift
2013-06-11, 11:45 AM
Yeah, the creature that has the strongest obsession on the ring (not to mention being one of the most important characters in the books) making one last attempt to save his object of obsession from being completely destroyed... is a Deus Ex Machina. That sounds legit.

Also, Frodo was probably the best middle earth had at resisting the power of the ring, being a hobbit that didn't want to have the ring in the first place. The only reason even that proved to be not enough was that it is really, really, really difficult to resist the ring's temptations when you are that close to its source of power.

Kyberwulf
2013-06-11, 12:06 PM
Pfft. Samwise give up the ring no problem. Boromir give up the ring on the mountain side with a little reluctance. Bilbo give into the power of the ring at the end. He turned around and was going to keep the ring. It was out of Due ex Macina that Gollum survived his fall, and manage to get to the exact spot they where, to take the ring.

Kyberwulf
2013-06-11, 12:10 PM
OH, that bloodline from The Mummy remake. What was it? The Majihadeen? or something.

Nerd-o-rama
2013-06-11, 12:27 PM
The Vault Dweller from Fallout and his descendant, the Chosen One. Even if you play the latter as a rampant murdering slaving jackass, he still does his job and saves Arroyo no matter what ending you get. The Vault Dweller himself is established as a decent chap by the continued existence of the New California Republic and the fact that the bad ending to Fallout is a game over.

Last we hear of the bloodline, someone who's probably the Chosen One's bastard son is running New Reno with an iron fist, though...but it's New Reno.

Traab
2013-06-11, 12:28 PM
Pfft. Samwise give up the ring no problem. Boromir give up the ring on the mountain side with a little reluctance. Bilbo give into the power of the ring at the end. He turned around and was going to keep the ring. It was out of Due ex Macina that Gollum survived his fall, and manage to get to the exact spot they where, to take the ring.

Samwise held the ring for less than a day, boromir for about 5 seconds, and HE got tainted by it since later on he tried to take it. As for frodo, noone could refuse after carrying and using the ring for over a year. Deus? Eh, sorta, but I tend to look at it as the real lesson of the story. That ring was so damn powerful NOONE could willingly destroy it. Gollum slipped, otherwise he would have claimed it and gotten slaughtered by the nazgul, as they were about 30 seconds away at the time.

As for bloodlines that dont go wrong, David Eddings wrote a book series, the belgariad and another, the mallorean. The main chracter garion was last in the line of kings of Riva. There wasnt a single bad king from start to finish of the known timeline. The only reason he didnt grow up as a prince was because hundreds of years back, his grandfather and roughly 99% of his family got assassinated in a rather nasty plot and the last surviving grandson had to go into hiding.

Kyberwulf
2013-06-11, 12:43 PM
Who is to say that Frodo wasn't tainted earlier by the ring. He was never really tested. No one ever took the ring to see if he would fight to get it back. Bilbo is another example of someone who had the ring for a long time. He give up the ring pretty easy.

Traab
2013-06-11, 12:50 PM
Who is to say that Frodo wasn't tainted earlier by the ring. He was never really tested. No one ever took the ring to see if he would fight to get it back. Bilbo is another example of someone who had the ring for a long time. He give up the ring pretty easy.

Well first he tried to give it to gandalf, then he tried to give it to galadriel. He may have even offered it sorta to aragorn. The difference between giving it up and destroying it is immense though. The ring eats away at your soul or however you want to phrase it, and corrupts you, that force is most likely magnified greatly when it realizes it is close to being destroyed. In all honesty, the ring itself cares little in general WHO holds it, it knows eventually everyone will be corrupted and will be bringing it back to its true master. *EDIT* He also was willing to give the ring up to the council, and only when everyone started to fall apart and fight over the ring did he stand up and say he would take it back.

Reverent-One
2013-06-11, 12:52 PM
Who is to say that Frodo wasn't tainted earlier by the ring.

Who's saying he wasn't? You're the one acting like giving up the ring is easy, everyone else is saying it is hard because of the ring's power.

Bilbo is another example of someone who had the ring for a long time. He give up the ring pretty easy.

He wasn't about to toss it into Mt. Doom and destroy it, and even then had Gandalf's help.

Kyberwulf
2013-06-11, 02:54 PM
Actually I am saying people make Frodo out to be some hero because he was able to carry the ring to mount doom, When it came to actually destroying the ring, he failed. He is no more a hero than anyone else.

Yes he tries to give it away, but people reject it. Acting like it's a big deal to even hold the ring. Other people have held the ring and gave it away without much trouble.

I mean look at the list of people that Held the ring, or rejected it.
Bilbo. He gave it to Gandalf pretty quickly.
Gandalf. Rejected the ring when offered it.
Frodo. He gave the ring to the council pretty easy.
Boromir. On the mountainside. He gave it back with hesitation.
Galadriel. Rejected the ring.
Aragorn. He rejected it.
Faramir. He let the Hobbits go pretty easy, even though he was tempted to take the ring.
Samwise. He gave the back ring without hesitation.

Not to mention, none of the Fellowship, besides Boromir, seem to keen on taking the ring from Frodo. Even though it supposedly was irresistible.

Reverent-One
2013-06-11, 03:15 PM
And how many of those were able to successfully destroy it? Resisting taking it is a different matter (and Boromir even failed at that). Notice how everyone who didn't take the Ring did so because they knew if they took it, it would consume them. If it wouldn't, and if it's not a big deal as you claim, why have a weak hobbit carry it all the way to Mordor?

Other than Bilbo, none of those held it for long, if at all, and as I said, Bilbo needed Gandalf's help to simply leave it behind, much less destroy it. And seeing as how he continued to ask about the Ring even after Frodo took/destroyed it, even then never totally shook off the corrupting power of the Ring.

Kyberwulf
2013-06-11, 03:52 PM
Um... None of them successfully destroyed the ring.

I don't know why they should have let the hobbit do it. Other then to push down our throats the idea that "small" and "weaker" races can be more powerful then everyone else.

If the ring was so hard to leave behind. Then why.. I ask you, did Bilbo just go out the door and keep going. KNOWING the ring was all alone. In an envelope. Unguarded. Even after Gandalf left?

Reverent-One
2013-06-11, 04:55 PM

Exactly. Don't compare being able to resist taking the ring to being able to destroy it.

I don't know why they should have let the hobbit do it. Other then to push down our throats the idea that "small" and "weaker" races can be more powerful then everyone else.

Did you perhaps miss the point where Gandalf, Galadrial, ect don't dare take the ring themselves because it's so powerful then? Because that clears it up quite well.

If the ring was so hard to leave behind. Then why.. I ask you, did Bilbo just go out the door and keep going. KNOWING the ring was all alone. In an envelope. Unguarded. Even after Gandalf left?

Because the hardest part was over, he had left it behind and it wasn't directly influencing him anymore.

Traab
2013-06-12, 04:10 PM

Letting go of the ring is one thing, the ring doesnt particularly CARE who wields it, it can be patient, and it knows eventually it will be able to compel someone to take it to mordor. Actively working to destroy it however would see the ring dropping its heaviest influence on you like a damn mountain of "YOUDONTWANTTODOTHIS!"

I dont know for sure if it was ever confirmed, but I am pretty sure the ring is at least partially sentient. It waited till the council was disagreeing on what to do before it sent out its influence to drive everyone into a rage. It deliberately picked boromir to corrupt as he would be the easiest. Noone else, as was said, ever seemed to hear so much as a whisper of intent to claim the ring.

Silver Swift
2013-06-12, 06:29 PM
Also note that inside mount doom fricking Isildur couldn't bring himself to destroy the ring and he had only been wearing it for a very short time at that point.

Edit: To keep this on topic a little more, Pugs descendants in the riftwar saga, adopted and otherwise, were all pretty badass. A more literal example might be Arutha's descendants, but that bloodline did eventually go wrong (they did get better again a few generations later though).

SmartAlec
2013-06-13, 09:55 AM
The Ring was at its most powerful at the Cracks of Doom. This is why Sauron chose to fight his final battle at Mount Doom rather than at Barad-Dur. All through Mordor, it would have been gaining in strength; Frodo's heroism was in managing to bear it all the way there, which was a remarkable feat that very few people would have been capable of. But Tolkien's letters make it clear that at that the Crack of Doom, no mortal will would have been able to withstand it.

No character ever gives it up without some hesitation. Bilbo had it for a long time, but far from Mordor or other evil influences, and he needed a serious push to do so. Sam manages to bear it for a little while, as he's so uncomplicated the Ring has almost nothing to offer him, but it manages to get a hook into him when he starts to not want to give it back so as to spare Frodo the burden.

Anyhow. Bloodlines? Only ones I can think of are from computer games. Baldur's Gate, Jade Empire etc. And those can go wrong, if the player wants.

CarpeGuitarrem
2013-06-16, 09:56 PM

Hobbits are demonstrated to be able to resist the Ring far more (as is Tom Bombadil) simply because they are a humble people. When Sam is tempted by what the Ring could do for him, seeing visions of himself as a great warrior cutting swathes across Mordor, he sees it as a ridiculous fantasy, because he--like the hobbits in general--have no pretensions of grandeur. There is far less in the hobbits to tempt. (Not that they're immune, but certainly more readily resistant.)