PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Into the Haunted Forest (IC)

jamieth
2013-05-13, 03:59 PM
OOC thread is here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283186)

A trade route passes along the southern edge of the great Arthfell forest. It leads from the town of Alvis at the east, and to the city of Oregent. A wagon makes its way along the path, with a driver dozing in his seat. The route is quite well-traveled and considered safe - well, as safe it could be just at the edge of the realm of often whimsical, even if not malicious, fey - and the horses made it often enough to not really need any commands, so the man sees no harm in taking it easy. This way, slowly but steadily, the wagon approaches the Travelers Stop inn, where both the people and the horses would have a chance to take some rest before continuing their journey. It is, however, still at least an hour away, and the four travelers are left to their own devices for now.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-13, 05:23 PM
Yumi is antsy, repeatedly looking over the side of the wagon at the scenery or occasionally fidgeting with her handwraps; tightening them, loosening them, untying them and retying them. She also glances around the wagon at the other riders a few times but can't seem to bring herself to start up a conversation, so she continues her fidgeting instead.

Benson
2013-05-13, 05:58 PM
Matilda lay in the wagon against her back pack using it to prop herself up, a piece of straw being chewed.

"Oh Miss Yumi, you need to relax, enjoy the ride that beats walking," Matty chuckled as she grabbed at her waterskin and took a small sip.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-13, 07:30 PM
"S-sorry." Yumi forces herself to try to sit still, but continues to idly twiddle her thumbs.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-13, 09:21 PM
Thaius sits very still and smiles at Yumi's anxiety. "Are you more bothered by the inactivity or the forest, lady Yumi?" He sits back to relax a bit more. "I assure you, at least one of them isn't going to kill you."

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-13, 09:30 PM
"I-it's nothing, I'm just a little anxious to be at our destination is all." Yumi concentrates hard on forcing herself to sit still. Inwardly however she continues to squirm in the presence of so many people only recently met.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-13, 09:38 PM
Smiling, Thaius nods his head and puts his hands behind his head. "And of our destination, I have to ask, have any of us been there? I'm curious of what kind of place it is, this... Oregent was it?"

jamieth
2013-05-14, 03:02 AM
Suddenly,a wagon comes to a stop. There can be heard some yells as the driver tries to force the horses to move further, but they bear no fruit. Giving up, the driver turns to the passengers and says, in an apologetic voice, "I'm terribly sorry, good sir.. and ladies, of course... but y'see, there's 'ese mongrels are scaring the horses..." he looks around, finally picking Thaius among the travelers, "Y'look like a strong and brave man, good sir, so m'be you could be so kind to try and drive the beasts away? Otherwise, 'm afraid we're stuck here 'til they're finished with... whatever they're eating."

Anyone looking forward caneasily see three large dogs preying on the vaguely humanoid corpse lying right on the road.

Benson
2013-05-14, 05:27 AM
"Oh dear..." Matilda softly said after the driver and then looked at Thaius. "Want me to come along?" Plus she was curiously nosy.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-14, 07:28 AM
"Well. That's disgusting." Yumi says, looking at the scene ahead. "I should come too, they could be rabid or something."

Batpope Scott
2013-05-14, 09:41 AM
"I am in no hurry to ask for the aid of charming young women, but my pride might get me killed that way. Thank you for offering to help me."

Thaius grabs his sword and shield, unsheathes the former and straps the latter onto his arm before jumping off the wagon to confront the man-eating creatures.

Benson
2013-05-14, 10:09 AM
Maybe she wasn't a good listener but..nope that is what it was. Despite his answer she jumped out of the wagon too, her pack in the wagon still. Looking at her would only get a cheeky smile.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-14, 02:30 PM
Thaius smirks at matilda's disregard for his concern. "To tell the truth, I fight better with allies anyway."

Dark Hawk799
2013-05-14, 03:03 PM
"I might as well come to, in case you need my help, although you might not."
Majet jumps off the wagon to join the others.

Benson
2013-05-14, 03:18 PM
"If it is nasty beasts we are to face then please accept this blessing of Shelyn," She said with a smile as she held out her wooden holy symbol of Shelyn and uttered a quick prayer. Her free hand faintly glowed as she lay her hand upon whoever chose to accept it.

The faint sound of some sort of pleasant phantom music would briefly fill ones ears. When she removed her hand, one would find themselves filled with that extra confidence, a guiding hand to help their next move.

She is using the orison Guidance on whoever will accept it.

"This spell imbues the subject with a touch of divine guidance. The creature gets a +1 competence bonus on a single attack roll, saving throw, or skill check. It must choose to use the bonus before making the roll to which it applies."

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-14, 03:43 PM
Yumi cautiously extends her hand, receiving the blessing."Th-thank you." She steps away and takes up a fighting stance on the flank of the group.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-14, 04:10 PM
"Always start with your best foot forward, but only extend a hand if you know the risk of losing a finger..."

Thaius charges the nearest of the dogs with the intent to bury his blade in fur.

IF I can make the charge and attack before initiative, these are my rolls.
[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit Confirm
[roll2] Damage

Rolling initiative as well.
[roll3]

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-14, 04:17 PM
Seeing Thaius rush off, Yumi follows close behind, aiming to deliver a flying kick to the dog Thaius' right.

Yumi charges the dog to Thaius' right.

Attack: [roll0]
Crit Confirmation: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

Initiative [roll3]

jamieth
2013-05-15, 01:29 AM
The three canines are obviously much more interested in their meal than in the travalers; they are even more interested in their survival, though, and turn around to face the new threat... too slow.
Dogs will act on init of 11, 10 and 2 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15237409&postcount=2)...

One of them at least gets lucky as Thaius's sword cuts a patch of fur out of it's side without dealing actual damage. The second, however, takes the full impact of a young monk's kick right in the head and falls to the ground, suddenly finding itself barely able to move.
Benson, you're up next - and DarkHawk, the dogs would ignore you if you choose to stay out, so it's your choice of whether to roll initiative)

Benson
2013-05-16, 06:51 AM
Matilda frowned as she saw how this pitiful mutts were getting their malnourished flanks handed to them. They weren't the deadly dogs she had expected first in the carts before she got a look of them. They did not look like much of a threat to her, from her point of view they did not look like they were strong enough to have killed whatever it is they had been eating, they looked to her as scavengers hoping for an easy meal.

"Don't kill them..! I do not see them so dangerous as to warrant death," She then raised her hand up and clutched the holy symbol as she moved her other hand down, palm up. A crackle of lightning..well crackled between her hands as she then shot it out towards the empty space behind the dogs in an attempt to frighten them off.

Intimidate: [roll0] Plus whatever circumstance bonus if any for accompanying it with her Lightning Arc power.

edit...or not....nat 20 ._.

jamieth
2013-05-16, 09:19 AM
As the lightning strikes, two of the dogs back down instinctively, keeping close, unwilling to forfeit their meal, but not to approach either. The one Yumi kicked, however, is obviously out of steam, half-crawling into the forest.

Now, with the obstacle gone, you all can see the body clearly. It is a gnoll, and the cause of its death seem to be a number of slashing and stabbing wounds, rather then the dog bites. Near the creature, lies a broken scimitar, and there are a number of trails around the spot a creature fell - trails left by boots-wearing creatures.

Benson
2013-05-16, 01:23 PM
Matilda's face contorted as she rushed over and saw the foul dead, more than likely decaying body of the gnoll. It smelled. She glanced warily at the back downed dogs keeping a brief eye on them.

"...Oh dear....that smell. Ahem...seems others got to it well before the dogs," She said squatting and looking it over.

"I think we should probably move this body to the side of the road, perhaps in the bushes perhaps...to avoid any other incidents for other travelers." She said as she pinched her nose.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-16, 01:38 PM
Yumi nods to Matilda, and grabs the gnoll's legs, attempting to drag it over into the bushes. "I'm going to need ten baths after this." she mutters under her breath.

jamieth
2013-05-16, 03:08 PM
The dogs watch cautiously as their meal is being taken away, but, since it still stays nearby, do not attack.

As Yumi approaches the bushes, her trained eyes notice something silvery glinting among the leaves, and so does Majet's naturally keen sight.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-16, 03:16 PM
Thaius helps Yumi drag the corpse to the roadside without a word.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-16, 05:32 PM
Yumi halts suddenly and lets go of the gnoll's corpse. "There's something over here..." she whispers to Thaius. Then cautiously moves to investigate.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-16, 07:09 PM
Thaius moves to back her up, attempting to move silently behind her and readying his weapon for things jumping out of the bushes.

Move silently roll, which I will fail at miserably.
[roll0]

Dark Hawk799
2013-05-16, 09:32 PM
Majet moves closer with the group to investigate the shining object.

jamieth
2013-05-17, 01:49 AM
Upon closer inspection, the shining thing turns out to be a dagger. It is made of a single piece of a silvery metal, and appeas to sparkle on its own occasionally.

Benson
2013-05-17, 02:18 AM
"What did you lot find?" Matilda asked aloud as she walked over, maybe ten feet behind them, rendering her unable to see the dagger at the time.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-17, 09:56 AM
"A knife. I kind of guessed as much, but I rather expected someone to be holding it... glad I was wrong about that." Yumi lets down her guarded stance and breathes a short sigh of relief, coming closer to further examine the dagger.

Benson
2013-05-17, 10:43 AM
Matilda moves to look over Yumi's shoulder to see this dagger for herself.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-17, 01:56 PM
Thaius sheathes his blade. "I suppose my caution was slightly unnecessary, then."

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-17, 02:02 PM
"Still a smart precaution. If someone actually had been holding that knife we'd have a fight on our hands after all. Better safe than sorry and all that."

Benson
2013-05-17, 02:04 PM
"It might have been BUT its the thought that counts..right? That expression works in this context. Caution for your fellows here and all," She smiled patting Thaius on his shoulder.

"Mmmm, perhaps we should take it with us, such a lovely looking dagger shouldn't be left here all discarded," She wagged a brow, pleasant smile still in place.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-17, 02:39 PM
"I see no harm in taking it. Perhaps you could sell it somewhere? Keep it as a reminder of the wonderful scent of dead gnoll? Speaking of, I'm going back to the wagon."

Thaius walks back to the wagon and jumps in.

Dark Hawk799
2013-05-17, 03:41 PM
"May I?" Majet asks. She takes a closer inspection to the dagger, casting Detect Magic on it.

jamieth
2013-05-17, 04:26 PM
Majet:
The dagger does emanate a faint magical aura.
Thaius:
The coachman gives Thaius a small bow of respect, "A quick job you did on these mongrels, good sir! And these ladies, too - I hafta say, with a passengers like you, we'd be fine even with the whole squad of these beasts - alive ones, I mean, of course!"

Batpope Scott
2013-05-17, 05:33 PM
Thaius grins past the coach looking at the girls inspecting the dagger "I did very little. I suspect these girls are far more formidable than I first imagined. You and I seem to be in good hands!" laughing quietly, he sits down where he was before.

Benson
2013-05-17, 05:42 PM
Matilda took notice of Majit's use of magic on the dagger and curiously tilted her head. "What was that spell?"

Dark Hawk799
2013-05-17, 08:42 PM
I'm trying to discern if this dagger has any magical power. she continues to study the dagger.

Benson
2013-05-17, 08:48 PM
"Interesting..! Does it have magical power?" She asked in an interested tone.

Dark Hawk799
2013-05-18, 07:40 PM
It has faint magical power.

Benson
2013-05-18, 07:44 PM
"Aaah...even more fascinating," She nodded and nodded again to herself that keeping it could prove a good idea. "Well...maybe we can figure out what it does later, right now...I think we shouldn't hold up the others. To the wagon..!" She grinned and then pivoted around and made her way to the wagon.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-18, 07:47 PM
Yumi follows Matlida back to the wagon, but says nothing - she's clearly thinking deeply about something.

jamieth
2013-05-19, 05:16 AM
Majet:
A dagger feels slightly warm to the touch. Forgot to mention that before, since I wasn't sure whether you really touched it :-)
Everyone:
"Thank you again", the coachman says as the group assembles again in the wagon, "please don't you worry, we'll still make it easily to the Traveller's Stop before it gets dark!"
Taking the reins and sending the horses forward, he adds, "A fine inn, if I say so myself. Don't take on the wrong side of sheriff Blundle, though - a just man, he is, but rather hard on the wrongdoers, mind you."
Everyone, have 100 exp each for the doggies.

Benson
2013-05-19, 06:45 AM
Matilda sat down comfortably next to her pack and smiled at the coachman lopsidedly. "I will do my best to be on my best behavior."

During the ride she would ask to see the dagger for herself as she was curious about it. She admired it lovely simplicity, the warmth it gave out. She began to pick through her mind trying to identify this dagger, looking for markings that could possibly help.

[Spellcraft][roll0]

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-19, 10:13 PM
After several minutes of riding along, Yumi interrupts the silence.

"Is it-am I just being paranoid or is there something very wrong with us finding that knife? I mean, who leaves a magic dagger just lying around where anyone could find it? Either someone very stupid, someone very powerful with no need of it... or someone who wanted us to find it; and that... is worrisome. I mean look what happened to that gnoll..."

Batpope Scott
2013-05-19, 10:48 PM
Thaius frowns at the thought of the dagger being some form of scheme. "That is troubling to think about, but let me put forward a proposal in opposition to that one; The gnoll owned this dagger before and died where his killers were unable or unwilling to retrieve it. The chances of it having relation to us past what we've done to protect the corpse are slim in my mind."

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-19, 11:21 PM
Yumi thinks on this for a moment and then nods.

"Y-you're probably right. Sorry, it's just such a lucky find... I shouldn't be so suspicious of good luck I suppose."

Batpope Scott
2013-05-19, 11:32 PM
"Don't be too hard on yourself, your suspicions are well-founded. Just be sure that you don't let it consume your thoughts when all you can do is wonder." Thaius grins widely and adds "Besides, a cute girl like you should smile more than you worry."

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-20, 12:17 AM
She giggles just a bit at that.

"Flatterer!"

Benson
2013-05-20, 01:03 AM
Matilda poked her head up from her studies of the dagger and smirked at the last exchange between Thaius and Yumi. "Its not flattery when its truth. You have such a nice coat, I almost want to touch it, and the tufts in your ears adorable." She chuckled as she wondered if Yumi wouldn't mind letting her brush her coat one day...probably minded.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-20, 02:41 AM
Thaius chuckles at his back-up "Careful, we could lose her to embarrassment that way!"

Thaius stops, suddenly in thought, and asks "May I see that dagger? I'm curious."

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-20, 01:00 PM
Yumi blushes fiercely at the compliments but tries to accept them in stride, she can't help but smile now - previous worries seemingly forgotten.

Benson
2013-05-20, 02:06 PM
"Oh...well of course," She said as she handed over the dagger to Thaius carefully. "Mmm..I did figure out that this dagger is quite strong, whoever constructed it was a very good weaponsmith who also had it enchanted to help the wielder against the cold, perhaps that is why it is warm to the touch." She grinned.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-20, 03:26 PM
"The runes happen to be in draconic, oddly enough. If I remember the language correctly it says 'Brightflame'. Perhaps it was meant to wield fire on it's blade when they wrote the runes, or it could just be symbolism."

Thaius hands the dagger back. "In any case, a magical dagger is a boon for someone able to use it. I'm more of a sword man, myself."

Benson
2013-05-20, 03:38 PM
"Brightflame? I like that name, it flows off my tongue just right," She chuckled taking back the dagger and took out her own little dagger. "Beats my plain old dagger any day hahah." She flashed a smile at Thaius and then looked over at Yumi.

"Well Miss Yumi, hopefully our findings will sooth your worries about it."

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-20, 04:08 PM
Yumi nods. "Yeah, I'm not worried anymore. Sorry about before, it just seemed like too much good luck - but I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth I suppose."

Batpope Scott
2013-05-20, 04:53 PM
Thaius looked to the sky for a moment before saying "We should probably inform that sheriff of the gnoll. If they have movements in the area I would wager gnoll activity would be of some import."

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-20, 05:31 PM
Yumi nods in agreement. "That makes sense."

Benson
2013-05-21, 01:38 AM
"I concur with that sentiment," Matilda nodded her head. She then glanced at the gang, smile ever still present. "Sooo...what are everyone's plans once we reach the destination of Oregent?" She was curious.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-22, 04:50 AM
Yumi thinks momentarily before speaking. "I'm s-sort of training. Master Kenji wants me to see more of the world so I'm not overly sheltered, and he says exploring is a good way to increase my skills. I hope he's right..."

Batpope Scott
2013-05-22, 05:02 AM
Thaius looks at her curiously. "You went off on your own just to further your skills in combat?"

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-22, 05:26 AM
"Sort of, yes. It's called 'musha shugyo' - a pilgrimage of sorts. I'm to wander and learn as much as I can. It's about more than combat skill though, Master Kenji says it will help me grow in other ways as well.

I admit it does make me a bit nervous, but, it's necessary."

Batpope Scott
2013-05-22, 06:08 AM
"That sounds like he is attempting to let you stretch your wings away from his guidance. I am on a similar journey, then. As my old instructor put it, 'I've taught you to kill people, now you have to learn how to save them'. Thaius stops himself, chuckles and shakes his head. "Well, now listen to me blather. My apologies."

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-22, 09:06 AM
Yumi smiles at Thaius' brief anecdote.

"That sounds like Master Kenji... are all mentors like that? I wonder if they get together and conspire or something, hah!"

Benson
2013-05-22, 12:05 PM
"They do!.." Matilda leaned her head in whispered conspiracy-esh. 'They all come together to Mentor Rock and compare notes." She then broke out into a grin.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-22, 05:08 PM
Thaius grins in return "Oh I hope not. My mentor would be a terrible influence."

jamieth
2013-05-23, 02:41 AM
Some time later, the sun begins to set, and the turn of the road reveals the two-story building, painted in bright colors, with a large red sign above the door: "Travelers Stop Inn". Above the sign, a banner is set up, stating in exquisite letters: "The Traveling Exhibition of Doctor Phineus Krane, Professor of Antiquities and Master of Shroud Artistry." In the back yard of the inn, several colorful tents are set, which the workers are currently closing for the night.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-23, 02:43 AM
Yumi whispers to the others in the wagon - "I wonder what all this is about..."

Benson
2013-05-23, 02:53 AM
"Oooh this looks exciting! Maybe we can even find something more about the dagger eh?" Matilda suggested as she wagged her brow.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-23, 02:58 AM
"Perhaps we could, indeed." Thaius fidgeted slightly, eager to finally be out of the wagon. He mumbles, to himself more than anything, about the sign "'Professor of Antiquities and Master of Shroud Artistry', eh?"

Benson
2013-05-27, 02:17 PM
When the wagon does eventually stop in front of the inn, she eagerly tossed her backpack filled with her stuffs over and hopped on out.

"Come on you three, we gotta go check this out," She grinned.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-27, 03:36 PM
Yumi hops over the side of the wagon as well and follows Matilda. "This should be interesting!"

Batpope Scott
2013-05-27, 08:57 PM
Thaius follows suit. "Interesting could be a word for what I'm thinking this is going to be."

Dark Hawk799
2013-05-28, 02:43 PM
Let's head in and find out, shall we.

Benson
2013-05-28, 02:57 PM
And so with that said, and the new dagger at her belt, Matilda happily strode towards the inn and inside it.

jamieth
2013-05-29, 02:33 PM
The inn is rather busy at this hour, with about a dozen customers in total, plus the bald, red faced man overseeing the bar and three serving girls.
At the bar sits a sturdy-looking man wearing a wide-brimmed hat and a cloak. He slowly sips his beer, and the owner refils his mug without any questions, apparently knowing the patron's tastes rather well.
At the table nearby, sits a scrawny bespectacled man in a scholarly outfit: on the table in front of him laid out a spread of cloth, and he points at it, explaining something to a couple of customers standing nearby.
Another table is occupied by four customers engaged in a quiet, but active conversation. Among them are a tall man clad in a scale mail, with a quiver hanging on his back; a plump, if not outright fat, man in a cloak embroidered by runic symbols; an extremely pale elven woman wearing a white dress, with a scythe leaning against her chair. The fourth member of the group is very short, and completely covered in its cloak, so that its species - let alone gender and appearance - is hard to determine.
The rest of the customers seem to be a mix of local farmers and random travelers, and they most keep to themselves, or at most in groups of two; there is, however, a free table nearby the one occupied by the bespectacled scholar. The barkeeper, noticing the opened door, squints to look at the newcomers and makes an inviting gesture.

mistformsquirrl
2013-05-29, 07:35 PM
Yumi can't help but stare at the rather obvious group of adventurers for a moment, but she manages to catch herself and divert her attention back to the others now entering the bar alongside her.

Benson
2013-05-30, 01:19 AM
"Bet you the fellow in the scholarly outfit can give us more information on the dagger," Matilda grinned and leaned in toward Yumi grabbing her furry wrist to gesture to come with her to see.

Batpope Scott
2013-05-30, 01:42 AM
Leaving the girls to the dagger, Thaius walks to the bar to see about a room for the night.

jamieth
2013-05-30, 04:21 PM
"Oh, but of course!" the bartender exclaims, proving that he can, in fact, communicate beyond gestures, "Hadn't your driver mentioned it? I have a room reserved for the passengers of every wagon that stops here for the night, although, I perfectly understand that you might wish a separate place from the ladies... that can be arranged, too, but that cost you some extra... oh, and the contract doesn't cover food and drinks, but I can assure you you'll find my prices most reasonable!"

Batpope Scott
2013-05-30, 09:55 PM
"Ah, well if we already get a room then I'm perfectly content. Might go ask the girls if they'd like a separate room. As for food and drink, I could use an ale right about now. How much will that cost me?"

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-03, 12:15 PM
Yumi goes with Matilda to check see the supposed scholar, still she glances back a couple times at the other adventuring party on the way.

jamieth
2013-06-03, 03:30 PM
@Batpope Scott:
"Certainly, sir!" the bartender nods, "That would be four copper pieces, and not a single more", he gestures towards an empty table, "Please sit down, sir, your orded would be brought to you soon", he adds, making a sign to one of the girls.

@others:
The scholar speaks enthusiastically, with little regard to whether anyone actually follows his explanations, "...therefore it is possible to orthographically preserve an image of a corpse on the linen shroud in question..." he doesn't seem to be aware of the newcomers yet.
The adventurous-looking group, however, is, as the two of them - a scale clad bowman and the elven woman - shift their position just a little to get a better look and hear on the newcomers.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-04, 12:47 AM
Thaius walks over and sits quietly at the empty table, watching the oddities amongst the patrons for trouble. Thinking on the drink he's ordered, I hope he can split a silver.

Benson
2013-06-04, 12:24 PM
"Greetings sir," Matilda said, announcing her presence to the talkative scholar, smile of course still on her face.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-04, 01:30 PM
Yumi follows Matilda closely, but stays silent, clearly nervous around so many new people.

jamieth
2013-06-04, 02:40 PM
@Benson, mistformsqirrl:
The scholar lifts his head from the cloth and smiles politely, "Um, welcome, ladies! Are you interested in the fine art of shrouding? Um, unfortunately, my exhibition is closed for today, but tomorrow morning I'll be happy to, um, show you the collection..." he stops mid-sentence and thinks for a moment, "Or is there any other way I can help you?"

@Batpope:
Pretty soon, the girl places a mug on the table in front of Thaius, "Enjoy your drink, sir. If you would like a refill, or to order anything else, just wave me!" and she takes off towards the other tables.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-04, 06:11 PM
Thaius waves the girl off with a smile, thanking her for the ale. He then sips the drink as he continues to watch and tries to listen in, as hard as that may be from here.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-05, 03:39 PM
Yumi gently nudges Matilda. "Y-you tell him."

Benson
2013-06-05, 03:42 PM
She quickly nodded at Yumi.

"Indeed there is another way you can help Mister Doctor Phineus Krane, Professor of Antiquities and Master of Shroud Artistry," Yes, she said the whole thing. "Well, when my group and I arrived and saw the tents and the sign, and so we were hoping if you could tell us anything about our dagger, we understand it magical in nature, but we, mostly I, were wondering if there could be anymore to it by chance." She flashed him a smile as she slowly procured the dagger to show him.

jamieth
2013-06-06, 01:04 AM
"Hm", Krane replies thoughtfully, "You must understand this is not exactly my field of expertise, but..." he looks at the runes, "Brightflame... hm... I recall encountering this name when I was studying the local legends... hm... I need to check my notes... If you could wait till tomorrow..."
He is interrupted by the archer from the second adventuring party, though, who gets up from the table and approaches the girls and the professor. "There's no need to check anything", he says dismissively, "The knife's mine. It was me and my pals who downed that gnoll on our way here, and the dagger is our trophy by right... thanks for recovering it, by the way!" He adds with an unpleasant laugh.

Benson
2013-06-06, 01:33 AM
Matilda's smile falter as she looked at the archer with a raised brow. "Sir, I never mentioned anything about any gnoll." She said looking him straight in the eyes and just tilting her head slightly. "And even if I did mention a gnoll, why didn't you take it then? Obviously you didn't want it then. I don't know, I think I'll be keeping it." He looked like the type who would just sell it for quick cheap coin. Matilda was drawn to the dagger, such a beautiful dagger, almost an art piece unto itself, didn't deserve finding itself in some backwater pawnshop.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-06, 08:23 AM
Yumi skirts around the table to get between Matilda and the rough looking archer.

"Sir, please, there's no need for trouble; if this was truly your weapon I think we both know you wouldn't have been so careless with it."

Diplomacy check: [roll0]

jamieth
2013-06-06, 03:16 PM
"It is true, you haven't mentioned the gnoll", the archer's plump companion joins him, "but doesn't it prove Grelm's words? How would he know where did you get that dagger otherwise?"

"Damn right, Pudge, it does", the man replies with an obvious threat in his voice, "That damn gnoll almost cut half my ear off with that knife, so you can be sure, ladies, that I got a good look on it. And make no mistake, I'd take it for sure, had that filthy creature not throw it away before dying. And we couldn't spend much time there, y'know. The beast could have pals nearby, and we needed to alert the sheriff. So, Ladies, would you hand the toy to me, or will I have to convince you?" he grins viciously, "Please make it the easy way. It's not that I like beating girls..."

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-06, 04:03 PM
Yumi gently folds her arms behind her back, seemingly taking no defensive stance, but takes another step forward toward the threatening archer. She narrows her eyes at him and lets a smile play across her face.

"Try it."

Intimidate = [roll0]

Note to self: Get some ranks in that skill.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-06, 11:18 PM
Thaius grows uncomfortable with the body language displayed and walks over to the two girls and asks threateningly "Is there a problem here?" The glare he gives to the men is meant to be a warning.

I'll make an intimidate myself, but I'm aiding another for great profit.

[roll0]
If that gets over ten, I should give her a +6 to her roll

Benson
2013-06-07, 12:56 AM
"Sir, I do not like the tone you are taking with us and so I suggest you step off, calm your nipples and reconsider your approach here." Matilda said, furrowing her brows and shaking her head as if she were talking down to a naughty child. And then Thaius came over and she lightly grabbed his arm with the tips of her fingers.

"No my friend, this...gentleman here is going to be sitting down and enjoying his ale, if he takes my advice."

jamieth
2013-06-07, 02:07 AM
Grelm hesitates. For a moment, it looks like he is ready to back down... but then he catches an icy stare of the elven lady and replies grimly, "You sure have a bark, but you'd better remember that the Black Banner Company isn't used to hearing 'no' as an answer. Get the knife, Pudge, I'll handle the guy."

Grelm's Initiative:
[roll0]
Pudge's Initiative:
[roll1]
Elf's Initiative:
[roll2]
There is actually a reason Grelm won't back down... he would be shaken for the first round, though.

edit: and it appears none of you can beat Grelm's Init roll. Thaius can tie on a 20, but Grelm still goes first by the higher Init mod, so might as well. Oh, and Yumi can't AoO until her first turn, so that at least gives me a fighting chance:-) edit2: Doesn't matter, in fact, since unarmed attack only provokes AoO from the attacked character, and Thaius can't AoO unarmed anyway.

With a swiftness hardly expected of a man his size, Grelm turns around and launches his fist into Thaius's jaw...

Batpope Scott
2013-06-07, 02:32 AM
Thaius stares blankly at the fist coming to impact his chin. This might hurt.
Initiative
[roll0]

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-07, 06:34 AM
Yumi is momentarily stunned by the man's speed, but quickly collects her wits.

Initiative [roll0]

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-07, 06:46 AM
Back on balance, Yumi reacts with great speed of her own, making a short, powerful shin-kick in an attempt to bring the man down to the floor.

Trip attempt: [roll0]

Should add, I have weapon finesse (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-finesse-combat---final) and Improved Trip (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-trip-combat---final) - Just so you know where all the bonus is coming from.

jamieth
2013-06-07, 08:14 AM
Unfortunately, the cat-girl's kick goes slightly off-target, merely causing Grelm to lose his balance for a moment. Luckily, that is enough for his own strike to glance the shoulder pad of Thaius's armor, not causing any harm...

Batpope Scott
2013-06-07, 10:11 AM
Beginning to be concerned for the safety of those involved, Thaius draws his sword and slings his shield before focusing his attention on hindering the attacks of the portly one. He yells loudly at him "Sit back down or I'll send you to the hells myself!"

My actual actions here are a move action to get my sword and shield and another move action to use Aid Another again to boost Matilda's AC by 6 against Pudge's next attack. I'm also using combat expertise on the roll, but since I have threatening defender I don't take a penalty for it. The yelling is just for fun. My AC is currently 19.

Aid Another
[roll0]

EDIT: Don't you just hate when you fail a DC10?

jamieth
2013-06-07, 10:50 AM
Thaius's scream forces Pudge to turn towards him for a moment, but the next second he faces Matilda again, waiting for a chance to grab the dagger... even though his face suggests that he isn't very happy with this assignment.

Meanwhile, it only takes a moment after the first punch was launched for the inn to turn into a battlefield, as the patrons join the brawl paying little attention to who they are actually hitting - they are, obviously, in it for the ride, rather than the destination. Not everyone is that eager for the fight, though - Dr. Krane backs down cautiously, trying to blend into the wall; the bartender hides behind the counter just as the serving girls, screaming, run out of the common room, the Black Banners' short companion is nowhere to be seen... and there are two people seemingly unaffected by the surrounding house. The man who was sitting at the bar now stands next to it, watching the brawl from under the brim of his hat, keeping his hand on the pommel of the sword on his side. Even in the middle of the commotion, the brawlers seem to avoid him. And in the center of the room, stands the elven lady, arms crossed on her chest, tapping on the floor with her foot as if awaiting something, a smile on her face being very far from the warm one indeed.
Elf delays, so now it is Matilda's turn.

Benson
2013-06-07, 11:09 AM
Matilda flashed Pudge a charming smile though in her mind she was wincing for poor Thaius. "Oh Sir...come now...You and I really don't have to fight, I'm pretty sure you don't want to abide by your temper wielding friend's example right?" She said as she reached over to touch his shoulder.

Matilda is using one of Granted powers, 'Dazing Touch' a melee touch attack.

"You can cause a living creature to become dazed for 1 round as a melee touch attack. Creatures with more Hit Dice than your cleric level are unaffected."

Touch Attack Roll: [roll0]

haha well that blew

Dark Hawk799
2013-06-07, 02:36 PM
"Sirs. I wouldn't mess with us if I were you."
Init:[roll0]Sorry for the delay, been on vacation

jamieth
2013-06-07, 04:58 PM
Proving that, despite appearance, he is no stranger to fighting, the Plump man called Pudge pushes Matilda's hand away, not allowing her magic anywhere near his body and, the next moment, goes for an opening, trying to wrestle the dagger out of the cleric's hands.

Disarm combat maneuver, with a -4 penalty for being unarmed: [roll0]
Not that it does him any good, and the next moment he steps back cautiously, grumbling, "Damn you, Grelm, I'm a wizard, not the god-damned thief!"
Majet's next

Dark Hawk799
2013-06-08, 02:00 PM
Majet mutters a few words under her breath, while waving her hands around.Casting Summon instrument: summons a fiddle in one round

Batpope Scott
2013-06-09, 06:27 AM
Thaius brings his blade to bear against the one claiming to be a wizard.
Using combat expertise for an additional 1 AC again, attacking Pudge and then using aid another to improve Matilda's AC against Grelm.

[roll0] Attack
[roll1] Crit Confirm
[roll2] Damage
[roll3] Crit Damage
[roll4] Aid Another against AC10

jamieth
2013-06-09, 06:32 AM
"Hey, the little one's trying to curse us! Get her!" the shout rolls out around the inn, and one of the brawlers rushed towards the gnome, aiming to restrain her. His former opponent, suddenly finding himself unoccupied, finds nothing better to do than to punch whoever's closest to him - which turn out to be Thaius.
Grapple against Majet: [roll0], and Majet gets an AoO against the brawler. Or don't, if she's unarmed.
Unarmed attack against Thaius: [roll1], if hits [roll2] nonlethal damage. After that, Round 2 begins with Grelm and elf lady.

jamieth
2013-06-09, 06:55 AM
Pudge keeps calm for a briefest moment... than an expression of terror appears on his face as the blade, unhindered, slashed through his clothes and leaves a deep wound on his round belly. The next moment, he falls to the floor with a scream, pushing Dr. Krane's table over as he does. The inn suddenly goes silent short for the boots thumping on the floor and falling chairs as the brawlers rush to the doors, not willing to bring fists into a swordfight. And over that sound, the man next to the bar shouts, drawing his own sword, "That's enough! By law of the Republic of Andoran I order everyone to drop your weapons and cease any spellcasting immediately!"
As if waiting for that, Grelm immediately steps back, holding his arms demonstratively far from the hilt of his sword.
The elf is still standing still, looking at screaming Pudge with a mix of pity and delight.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-09, 07:10 AM
Thaius drops his blade, swearing at himself silently for not holding back. He tries to assess how wounded the man below him is without provoking anyone else.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-09, 09:25 AM
"I th-think that may have been excessive Thaius..." Yumi drops her fighting stance and steps away from Grelm. She wanted to help the injured Pudge, but she knew she didn't have the ability to do anything for him. Then an idea strikes her.

"This man probably needs a healer, if you don't mind, my friend can probably handle that.

M-Matilda, c-could you help Mr. Pudge here?"

Benson
2013-06-09, 09:36 AM
Matilda gave Thaius a chastising look for having had gone with lethal means, even if their opponents were jerks, well Grelm at least. She then nodded at Yumi.

"Mister Pudge, if you could calm down a moment, we'll get your cut dealt with," She said closing her eyes and would try to heal him if he allowed it long enough.

[She's just going to have used a channel energy in a curative manner]

jamieth
2013-06-09, 10:17 AM
O"Don't bother, our healer will take care of that", Grelm says dismissively, "Nirashi, help Pudge to our room and patch him up, would you.
The silent elf approaches Pudge and offers him a hand. The man's wound, while definitely serious, is apparently not that bad as it first seemed, and he is able to walk with some help.
At this moment Krane, deciding the situation calmed enough to get out of the corner, lets out a loud scream. The shroud he was keeping on his table is now laying on the floor, and in the middle of it is a hole several inches wide, its edges slowly smoldering.
The sheriff lets out a loud sigh. "No one gets out f the inn. Now, I want to hearhow this fight started. From both sides."

Batpope Scott
2013-06-09, 08:14 PM
Thaius sighs audibly. "Would you like the short version that I know or would you prefer one of the girls explain? The latter would likely be a more complete story."

Dark Hawk799
2013-06-09, 09:21 PM
Since majet's spell isn't a harmful one, she see's no reason to cease it. She intently listens to the Sheriff and the story.

jamieth
2013-06-10, 12:56 AM
The sheriff gives Majet a stern look as the lute* appears in her hands. "Everything you can tell me, all of you. And you don't have to sing about it, either."
"Well, Sheriff", Grelm speaks first, "I told you 'bout that gnoll me and my people slew earlier today, yeah? Well, the beast had a pretty fine knife with it, but it threw it away, and we couldn't waste time looking for it, y'see? Had to warn you 'bout the gnolls appearing nearby, right? And then, y'see, this missy enters the room, and starts flaunting the knfe... So, 'fcourse I wanted to get it. Now, I admit I was a tad rash... must be the booze, y'know?"
*or whatever instrument did Majet summon?

Batpope Scott
2013-06-10, 02:32 AM
Interjecting, Thaius speaks quickly, quietly but his voice is firm. He makes certain that his voice carries well enough that the sheriff can hear him clearly. "I interposed myself between a man that was openly threatening two young women. Whether or not they were drunk, his manner was unfit for a man of honor and it was my honor that made me attempt to defend them. I admit to over-reacting in response to the attack and to not having known the details of the conversation beforehand, but now that I do I am rather disgusted that the fight started over such a trifling trinket."

Now would be a good time for the diplomacy skill? If so, I would like to roll it to help convince the sheriff. If not, oh well.

[roll0]

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-10, 12:35 PM
Yumi sighs heavily and then starts explaining the situation...

"O-on the way here, our wagon came across three dogs in the road eating a dead gnoll. We didn't know what had happened to the gnoll, but I spotted a shining object in a bush not far from the corpse.

I feared an ambush from whatever killed the gnoll, so we went to investigate and found the knife. We discovered it had some magic to it, but weren't able to wholly identify it, so we were going to inquire here in town about precisely what properties this weapon has.

When we arrived at the inn here, this man She indicates Grelm Began claiming the knife as his property. I tried to settle him down, but he wouldn't listen; and then he started throwing punches.

Mr. Pudge I don't think was particularly keen on the whole thing, but he did try to take the dagger from Matilda and Thaius here she points to Thaius clearly felt we were threatened. He probably overreacted, but I can't blame him too much since he was arranging for us to have a room for the night and didn't hear any of the conversation leading up to the fight.

To sum it all up - it's kind of a salvage dispute. Do Grelm and his band get the knife because they killed the gnoll who had it (or so they say) - or do we get it because we actually found it and bothered to pick it up?

Yumi, now quite out of breath, grabs a chair and sits down.

Benson
2013-06-10, 12:46 PM
Matilda opened her mouth to speak but then Yumi wonderfully exposition-ed. She closed her mouth as not to interrupt her friend. When she was done, Matilda smiled and patted Yumi on her shoulder, also because she just liked touching Yumi's furriness.

"It as my friend wonderfully explained. I myself was not too keen on this sir's.." She gestured to Grelm. "approach to it, it unfortunately put me on the defensive."

She then maneuvered to Krane and genuinely frowned. 'Oh sir...I'm so sorry that happened." It was a lovely shroud.

jamieth
2013-06-10, 02:24 PM
Sheriff Blundell sighs again, though the look he casts at Yumi as she speaks is somewhat respectful. Waiting for a while to check whether anyone would like to object, he says, "Well, Mr. Grelm did report killing a gnoll when his group arrived earlier today. At least it appears the creature wasn't a part of scouting party. I piece of good news for a change. Now, it appears you both have some claim on the item... AND, you both share responsibility for the bloodshed and accidental destruction of valuable property. I have to consider the circumstances. I'll make a decision tomorrow morning. Meanwhile, both parties are not to leave the inn. Also, to prevent further incidents, I'm confiscating the dagger; whoever's claim I find more significant would get it before leaving. Please, miss." He extends his hand towards Matilda.
Doctor Krane, meanwhile, waves Matilda off, "Not your fault, miss..." his voice is weak and shaking a bit, "Please excuse me... I'll be in my room... maybe I could restore it, at least partially..."

Dark Hawk799
2013-06-10, 03:23 PM
Matilda, do you possibly know a simple spell that could help fix Dr. Krane's shroud?

Benson
2013-06-10, 04:17 PM
Matilda scrunched her nose as she took in all this information and softly sighed with reluctance as she handed the dagger over to the Sheriff.

She then looked at Majet and worked her jaw and shook her head. "Alas my dear I have not such a spell."

Batpope Scott
2013-06-10, 05:15 PM
Thaius picks up his blade to put back in it's sheathe before walking over to his table to scowl at the spilled drink. He resolved to needing another and needing to give another apology before walking over to find the bartender.

Benson
2013-06-12, 01:58 AM
Matilda decided to join Thaius in a drink herself, getting put under house arrest wasn't too spirit lifting. She could use some spirits.

"I can't believe we're under house arrest..or is it inn arrest? Hahah..either way....." She wanly smiled and shook her head in bemusement at their predicament. "I do feel bad though about that scholar's shroud." She softly sighed.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-12, 08:07 AM
Yumi walks over to sit with Matilda and Thaius.

"I-it's unfortunate that's for certain. But there's not much for it - the instant that hothead started throwing punches I knew we were going to get into trouble." Yumi shakes her head and gives an exasperated sigh. "I doubt he even knew about the dagger before we showed up with it."

Benson
2013-06-12, 02:10 PM
"Though speaking of thrown punches, it was awfully chivalrous of our dear Thaius to stand up for us with his own haha," She entertained a playful smile and leaned over and gave Thaius a surprise playful peck on his cheek. "A reward." She laughed and ordered herself a honey mead.

"To starting a bar fight hahah...I jest I jest.." She would still hold up her honey mead (after the bartender slides it over of course) in a toast over something.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-12, 08:58 PM
Jaw dropped, Thaius stammers out his agreement."E-eh, y-yes. Just doing what I needed to...". Clearly embarrassed, he looks pleadingly at the bartender for help before quietly ordering an ale.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-13, 12:03 AM
Yumi, playing off of Matilda, nuzzled up to Thaius' arm. "Such a brave, strong man..." she giggled a bit at Thaius' blushing.

Batpope Scott
2013-06-13, 02:25 AM
He'd flee, but he has been stunned by the two taking advantage of his weakness. Thaius gives a weak smile down at Yumi before meekly saying

"T-Thank you, but you'll inflate my ego with this many complements."

Benson
2013-06-13, 10:24 AM
Matilda laughed again ribbing Thaius with her elbow. "I'll keep you in check hahah..." She flashed him a smile and the flashed Yumi a smile and gave her a wink in that 'niiice' sort of way.

jamieth
2013-06-16, 01:10 PM
The night passes, and in the morning the travelers are awoken - or possibly not - by an insistant knocking on the door of their room. "Sir! Ladies!" one of the serving girls calls to the group from beyond the door, "I'm sorry to bother you, but sheriff wants to see you! So, please come down to the taproom as soon as possible!"

Batpope Scott
2013-06-16, 07:08 PM
Thaius awakens with a start, grabbing the handle of his blade. Once he recognizes the voice he relaxes and gets himself prepped to be out. He calls out "We'll be down in a minute."

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-17, 02:09 PM
Yumi wakes slowly, clearly quite groggy despite not having had any alcohol the previous night. She tries to straighten her clothes a bit, having slept in them, and runs her fingers through her hair to try to give it some semblance of order.

"I suppose we ought to go talk to him, huh?"

Benson
2013-06-17, 03:26 PM
Normally Matilda would have slept in her birthday suit, but she was sleeping with company so she had to restrain herself this time. She woke up with a hair full of bedhead, but she managed to make that look cute as she woke up with a lazy smile on her face.

"I didn't think we got room service hahah...kidding.....Mmm...I wonder what's up.." She thought aloud and sat up on the side of the bed and stretched a little.

jamieth
2013-06-18, 02:09 PM
As the group comes down to the common room, they find a definitely unhappy looking sheriff sitting at the table, sorting some notes. In front of him, standing in the line, are a human farmer and a gnome in the artisan's outfit, both of whom you can remember seeing in the inn yesterday; Ostler Merinwaite, the inn's owner and the barkeeper; and the middle-aged woman you don't recognize. Sheriff looks at the newcomers and gestures to Majet, "Sit down. You are under suspicion for stealing the evidence, namely the enchanted dagger, from the officer of the law."

Batpope Scott
2013-06-18, 02:29 PM
This just keeps on getting better. Thaius folds his arms across his chest and asks "Due to being involved with it or are we actually suspect for something? It'd be quite a feat to steal a dagger in your sleep."

Benson
2013-06-18, 02:32 PM
"Wha?....That's quite the accusation there...sir," Matilda said defensively wrinkled her nose as if she smelled something stinky.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-18, 10:28 PM
Yumi sits down and continues rubbing her eyes, trying to wake up. Hearing the Sheriff's accusation perks her up however and she glowers at the man. Her usual nervousness temporarily lost in a combination of sleep-driven haze and anger at such an obviously false accusation.

"We've been cooped up in the tavern since yesterday; how exactly would we steal the dagger? More importantly why would we do it?" Yumi clearly grows even more annoyed at the situation as she continues "Think! There's little for us to gain by stealing the dagger, because we're the obvious immediate suspects. Especially since if you really think about it we had the better claim on it to begin with anyway - so why steal what would probably be ours again in short order had we just waited?

The fact that you're here questioning us almost guarantees that whoever actually did it is getting away right now because they rightly guessed you'd come after us first."

Yumi continues to grumpily glare at the sheriff after ranting at the man, her tail swishing back and forth in an obviously agitated fashion.

jamieth
2013-06-19, 06:48 AM
"While I appreciate the input, miss", sheriff replies scruffily, "Whoever did this either was far away already by the moment the theft was discovered, or is right now in this very inn. And, while I personally agree it doesn't make sense, there is an evidence against your companion, though a rather weak one. Which is exactly why I intend to deal with it first. Dr. Krane, please repeat what you told me earlier."

Benson
2013-06-19, 01:40 PM
"Wait what?....Who's being accused?"Matilda asked with a sort of 'wth' expression.

jamieth
2013-06-20, 12:17 AM
"Let's make it clear: so far, no one is accused", sheriff replies. "There is no direct evidence. What I am trying to do now is to question everyone who was seen at or nearby crime scene last night to eliminate false trails. You sure took your time, Mr. Hammerlock", he interrupts his speech to gesture Grelm, who just appeaqred in the taproom, yawning, to his seat. "There's no reason for me to be here at all", Grlm replies in annoyed voice.
"That's not for you to decide. Now, for the sake of procedure, I will confirm your identities." He turns to each of the suspects in turn, stating their names and occupations.
"Mr. Huckaby Trent, a farmer." "Right, sheriif, you know that's me", a man with a swollen eye - most like ly the result of yesterday's brawl - raises from his sit.
"Mr. Lorkyhay Ganderhoddle, a travelling tinker." A gnome stands up with a look of aplomb on his face and gives a slight bow.
"Mr. Ostler Merinwaite, the owner of this inn."
"Mr. Grelm Hammerlock, of the Black Banner Company."
"Miss Estle Winterbloom, a local... wise woman." "Please, Mr. Blundel. No need to sugarcoat it. I never tried to hide the fact that I'm a witch." At this statement, some of the local folk cast looks bordering on anger in her direction.
"And miss Majet Pai, a travelling minstrel."

"Now, Dr. Krane, please repeat your earlier statement."

The shrouding expert speaks, avoiding looking into Matilda's eyes, "I didn't meant to cause anyone any troubles, you see... only telling what I saw... well, there is a certain chemical used in producing shroud images that reacts rather violently with a sunlight, which is why it is usually mixed during the night... anyway, as I was working, I saw someone hiding behind the tree opposite the sheriff's room... Your room is just next to mine, right, sheriff? Well, I didn't pay to much attention, you see, since the revealer requires a very careful handling... but I recognized it. It was the minstrel lady who was involved in yesterday's incident... miss Pai, right?"

Thaius
You can say that, while Krane isn't lying outright, he isn't that certain of his own words, either, as if not really trusting his memory.

Yumi
Dr. Krane seems to be speaking the truth.

Majet
You can say that, while Krane isn't lying outright, he isn't that certain of his own words, either

Matilda
You can say that, while Krane isn't lying outright, he isn't that certain of his own words, either

Batpope Scott
2013-06-20, 02:31 AM
"You sound unsure, Doctor Krane. Perhaps you could have been mistaken?"

Thaius lets his hands fall to his sides and gives a sigh as he pulls up a chair. We'll be here for a while.

Dark Hawk799
2013-06-20, 07:31 AM
Doctor Krane, are you sure it was me, or could it have been someone who looked like me, and in the night you saw what you thought was me? As I have been in my room with my companions all night.

Benson
2013-06-21, 09:08 PM
"Is there a chance that you took to spirits last night sir?" Matilda asked as she raised a brow. "Its understandable to want to drown in some drink after what happened to your...shroud...sir."

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-22, 01:34 PM
Yumi slumps to the table top, still obviously drowsy and quite unhappy with this whole silly situation.

jamieth
2013-06-23, 08:59 AM
"Well, you see", Krane mumbles uneasily, "I told sheriff what I saw, but, well, the revealer's vapors can disturb one's senses... especially when mixed with alcohol... I am fully sure I did saw someone, but... I can't be sure that it was miss Pai. It couldn't be a completely random mistake, though; these must have been something that reminded me of your companion..."

"Right", sheriff interrupts him, "I expected something like this. Of course, I checked the place, and there are actually footprints under that tree. They are unclear, but, judging from size, they must belong to either a gnome or a halfling. And there are no halflings here in this inn currently, and both gnomes are here. Of course, the second issue is how the dagger was stolen in the first place. I kept it under my pillow, and I sleep rather light, so there's no way anyone could take it... except with magic. You could do that don't you?" He asks Majet, "Put someone to sleep. Of course... that leaves the question of getting into and out of my room. The window was open, but climbing through it without leaving any traces is nearly impossible. On the basis of your companions' statements I am willing to accept your alibi, miss Pai, but I would appreciate if you could explain how it happened..."

jamieth
2013-06-30, 02:22 PM
"Look", the sheriff continues quietly, so that the general crowd in the room won't hear him, "I'm just doing my job. We don't have that many real crimes here - it's mostly just drunken brawls and occasional goblin or some other nasty creature... them, I can handle just fine, but I'm not a goddamn Sleepless. Now you" - he looks at Thaius, "you look like a well-educated man, and your companions are quite quick-witted, from what I saw... and it is in your interest that the dagger is found, isn't it"

Batpope Scott
2013-06-30, 10:35 PM
"Indeed it is." Thaius knows better than to let the man metaphorically drag him around by the ear, but he has a bit of a soft spot for men that are just doing their jobs. Getting arrested would put a damper on his plans, too.

Benson
2013-07-01, 03:29 PM
"Why don't we help in figuring out whodunnit? Start an investigation gather up witnesses and suspects, find the real crook here,"Matilda said with a glint in her eyes and huge grin.

"I'll need me a deerstalker cap."

jamieth
2013-07-02, 12:11 AM
Some of the audience can't help but let out a laugh - including the sheriff, and, for the first time today, he seems genuinely cheerful. "Now, miss, That's what I meant! But, pretty wordds aside, do you have any ideas how to tackle it? Feel free to question anyone in this room... in my presence, though. Don't forget, you don't have any official jurisdiction..."

mistformsquirrl
2013-07-02, 09:42 AM
Yumi finally begins to revive, though still somewhat cranky and definitely proving to not be a morning person.

"I'm n-not very good with people I'm afraid... not exactly something my training focused on. Err, what about you three?"

Benson
2013-07-02, 02:15 PM
Yumi finally begins to revive, though still somewhat cranky and definitely proving to not be a morning person.

"I'm n-not very good with people I'm afraid... not exactly something my training focused on. Err, what about you three?"

"I do think myself a people person," Matilda nodded confidently.
--

Some of the audience can't help but let out a laugh - including the sheriff, and, for the first time today, he seems genuinely cheerful. "Now, miss, That's what I meant! But, pretty wordds aside, do you have any ideas how to tackle it? Feel free to question anyone in this room... in my presence, though. Don't forget, you don't have any official jurisdiction..."

"Believe it or not, I have a very good ability at reading people, knowing when they speak or lies, I consider it a gift from my goddess Shelyn, giving me the wisdom to the truth." She then looked at Thaius on his own thought, and Majet as well.

Batpope Scott
2013-07-02, 03:15 PM
Thaius looks at his companions and smiles. "I have some training to detect a lie, myself, and will help if I can."

mistformsquirrl
2013-07-04, 05:59 AM
"If you don't mind, I'll let you two handle the investigation then. I'll be on hand in case anyone gets... rowdy, but it's best if you take the lead for this." Yumi says.

Benson
2013-07-04, 06:23 PM
"Alright! Sheriff if you can gather up possible witnesses, we'll begin with questioning downstairs. I suggest having everyone wait downstairs in the bar while we question the witness and suspects one at a time in a separate room!"

jamieth
2013-07-05, 03:12 PM
"Hm, that can be arranged", sheriff says thoughtfully, "We'll conduct the questionings in my room. I expect you would want to look at the crime site, so to speak, anyway... Well, to settle the formalities first. Miss Wintlebloom, would you please come with us..."

Benson
2013-07-08, 03:21 PM
In the sheriff's office, Matilda paces around as she gestured that Miss Estle Winterbloom take a seat.

"Greetings, Miss Estle Winterbloom, I am Matilda Chance," She said formally as she tapped her chin. "So..a witch, hauh, I take it a hedge witch or some such?"

jamieth
2013-07-09, 12:59 AM
"I am, miss Chance", the witch nods, her posture an epitome of dignity, "And, though Sheriff Blundell requested my presence here, I'm afraid there is little I can say that would be useful to you, since I know literally nothing about the question at hand. But ask anyway, I would assist the Law in any way I can."

"You see", the Sheriff interrupts, "There is no evidence against Miss Wintlebloom - in fact, I have no reason to believe she has anything to do with this case... in fact, I invited her mostly to protect her from the local folks. They can be a bit... rash..."

Batpope Scott
2013-07-09, 09:12 AM
"People fear what they cannot understand. You have my sympathies, Miss Wintlebloom."

Thaius turns to the sheriff and calmly asks a question of him "You know these people, sheriff, who do you believe is most likely to be involved?"

Benson
2013-07-09, 02:29 PM
"Well Miss Wintlebloom, lovely hedge witch, I would very much appreciate it if you kept an ear out for any information. Right now, do doubt this whole theft is now a subject of gossip, someone may slip on their words." Matilda winked.

jamieth
2013-07-12, 03:14 AM
"That is unfortunately true", miss Wintlebloom nods to Thaius's remark, "Which is also why the people tend to be cautious with the gossip when I'm around... but I would certainly inform the Sheriff should I hear anything that might be of use."
"I highly doubt that, though", Sheriff adds. "In these parts, crime can't remain hidden for long. Should any of the locals get such an item, it would be a matter of weeks, at most, before all the neighborhood knows of it. So, whoever did this, they most likely don't plan on stying here for long..."

Batpope Scott
2013-07-13, 06:54 PM
"Meaning we should work quickly and focus on people who are more likely to not lose anything by packing their bags tonight."

Benson
2013-07-14, 12:28 AM
"Well then oh handsome sheriff, if you could send in the next person who resembles such a..description. Miss Wintlebloom, I'm sure you recall what I just said, thank you." Matilda nodded her head, ready for the next person.

jamieth
2013-07-20, 01:39 PM
"Do you mean, the next person who resemble such a description and isn't one of you?" the sheriff lets out a laugh, "That would be either the Black Banners, or Mr. Gan... Gar... Ganderhoddle", he finishes after a quick consulting with a scrap of paper."

Batpope Scott
2013-07-20, 08:40 PM
Thaius gives a laugh at the sheriff's suggestion "Well, we can interrogate ourselves if you like but I would rather not be taken as a one that is moon addled. The Black Banners are certainly more suspicious to me but, to be honest, that is more out of their involvement in starting the brawl. A paltry trinket is not something worth diving at a swordsman for."

Benson
2013-07-24, 05:35 PM
"Either would do, send whoever first in, we'll take it from there," Matilda replied as she tapped her chin in thought for all of this.

jamieth
2013-07-25, 01:55 AM
The Sheriff goes out for a moment and returns with a gnome short and thin - even for a gnome - wearing a modest, but well-kept, tradesman's clothes and a hat and has a visible air of self-respect bordering on arrogance.
"Lorkyhay Ganderhoddle", the gnome speaks quickly, "Travelling tinker and locksmith. Quickly, if you please. Have no reason to be questioned. Haven't touched the dagger. Was in my room."
Thaius
You can tell almost for sure that he was NOT in his room, due to the pause he makes before adding that - the only pause in his speech, in fact. The part about not touching the dagger seems sincere, though.
Yumi
There's omething off in the gnome's declaration, though you can't really pinpoint it
Matilda
Due to the gnome's unusual speech patterns - and the speed at which he delivers said speech - you can't tell whether he's hiding something.

Batpope Scott
2013-07-25, 02:01 PM
"Come now, Lorkyhay, you and I both know you weren't in your room. Why don't you come to the table with some honesty and get rid of the suspicion?" Thaius is trying to sound friendly to ease the gnome's defenses some.

Just in case, diplomacy. [roll0]

jamieth
2013-07-29, 12:06 AM
"Oh, well." the gnome replies quickly, "True, wasn't inside all night. Went to take a breath. Still wasn't in this room. Couldn't climb the window anyway, even if I tried. Could probably pick a lock, but is wasn't picked."
Thaius:
About that, at least, he seems sincere.
Matilda:
Yumi:

mistformsquirrl
2013-07-29, 12:53 PM
Yumi stares at the gnome thoughtfully, waiting to hear more before making any sort of declaration.

Benson
2013-07-29, 05:34 PM
Matilda stroked her chin and hummed. "And you didn't see anything during your breath of fresh air eh?"

jamieth
2013-08-05, 02:38 AM
"Nothing important", the gnome replies quickly, "Had to relieve myself. Went to the tree. Noticed the open window. Went back. Didn't see anyone. Don't want troubles. Don't have the dagger. Didn't touch it. Need to leave today."
Thaius
You don't see anything wrong with the gnome's statement
Yumi
He's nervous. Well, more than normal. not evedything he says is true, apparently.
Matilda
The gnome is obviously lying. Not just withholding information, but actively distorts it. The thing about him not having, nor touching, the item seems true, though.

Dark Hawk799
2013-08-05, 09:21 AM
Lorkyhay, how do you know the door wasn't picked if you weren't here?

Batpope Scott
2013-08-05, 09:32 AM
Thaius folds his arms as he looks at Lorkyhay. He didn't think the little guy was lying about this, but his ally noticed something he didn't.

Benson
2013-08-05, 12:29 PM
"You know sir, you don't have to hide anything from us. I believe you didn't take the dagger, but, I feel like you're withholding information. We need you to tell us everything possible, there may be a clue somewhere in there that could help us. Alright?" She said with a slight frown and then glanced at Majet and nodded her head.

Attempted Diplomacy in trying to get the gnome fella' more comfortable with talkin' straight. [roll0]

mistformsquirrl
2013-08-06, 12:40 AM
Yumi finally speaks up, adding to her own words to Matilda's.

"She's right you know, none of us will hurt you, we just want to get to the bottom of this so we can be on our way."

Diplomacy [roll0]

jamieth
2013-08-06, 03:26 AM
The gnome looks at each of his interogators in turn, hesitating slightly, then states, crossing his arms on the chest, "Wasn't picked. Dagger stolen through the window. Everyone knows. Have nothing else to say." Even though Lorkyhay tries to look tough and imposing, it is quite obvious that he is actually rather frightened... for some reason.

Benson
2013-08-06, 10:26 PM
Matilda let out a soft sigh but smiled at the gnome fella' as she furrowed her brows. "What's the matter? You look a little scared, I trust you...we're not scary." She said pleasantly, her words bait.

jamieth
2013-08-12, 12:38 AM
"Not afraid", the gnome says quickly, despite all the eveidence to the contrary, ""Have nothing else to say. Will be in my room if needed." With that, he turns to leave... unless stopped, of course.

Benson
2013-08-12, 12:14 PM
Matilda won't stop him from leaving but just wait for their next victim of questioning. In the meanwhile she would bring her shelyn symbol to her lips, lightly kissing it as she uttered a small prayer, invoking one of the spells ready inside. A quick rainbow of colors glowed for a moment from the symbol.

"Send in the next ones."

Casting Enhanced Diplomacy on self, +2 to one diplomacy check