PDA

View Full Version : Prismatic-themed Wizard [pf&3.5]

Lhurgyof
2013-05-13, 04:43 PM
I'm playing in a Pathfinder game that alows 3.5 source material.
I'm a dragonwrought desert Kobold, and I want to specialize in prismatic spells. What options are available for a prismatic mage?

Jon Everyman
2013-05-13, 05:37 PM
Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil would be your first stop, it's a prestige class from complete Arcane that uses the prismatic colors as defensive abjurations, and has full caster progression.

Bakkan
2013-05-13, 06:12 PM
Spells with "Prismatic" in the name:

Level 3
Prismatic Mist (Sor/Wiz, PHB2)

Level 5
Prismatic Ray (Sor/Wiz, SC)

Level 6
Prismatic Aura (Sor/Wiz, CMa)

Level 7
Prismatic Eye (Sor/Wiz, SC)
Prismatic Spray (Sor/Wiz, PHB)

Level 8
Prismatic Wall (Sor/Wiz, PHB)
Prismatic Bow (Sor/Wiz, CMa)

Level 9
Prismatic Sphere (Protection,Sor/Wiz, Sun, PHB)
Prismatic Deluge (Sor/Wiz, CMa)

There aren't enough explicitly "prismatic" spells to satisfy even a sorcerer, butgoing into PrC's like Iot7FV is a good idea. Since you're a kobold, I recommend Sorcerer with the geater Draconic Rite of Passage. At low levels find spells that match the blinding light or random effect properties of prismatic spells. For exmple, flare and color spreay are good spells to use at level 1.

Amiria
2013-05-13, 07:21 PM
The spells Rainbow Beam (2nd level) and Rainbow Blast (3rd level) might also fit the bill. Both are straight blasting damage spells from the Spell Compendium.

Rainbow Beam even requires a random roll (like the prismatic spells). Rare(ly resisted) damage types like Poison, Sonic and Force are possible with that one.

Frathe
2013-05-13, 07:23 PM
I assembled a list of spells for a Rainbow Domain I made. They're all rainbow-related in one way or another:

Entropic Shield
Color Spray
Hypnotic Pattern
Daylight
Rainbow Pattern
Persistent Image
Prismatic Spray
Prismatic Wall
Prismatic Sphere

chainer1216
2013-05-13, 08:20 PM
i posted a thread about this while ago, heres what i came up with

color spray, lvl1, PHB
rainbow beam, lvl2, SpC
hypnotic pattern, lvl2, PHB
rainbow blast, lvl3, SpC
prismatic mist, lvl3, PHB2
rainbow pattern, lvl4, PHB
prismatic ray, lvl5, SpC
prismatic aura, lvl6, CM
prismatic eye, lvl7, SpC
prismatic spray, lvl7, PHB
scintillating pattern, lvl8, PHB
prismatic wall, lvl8, PHB
prismatic bow, lvl8, CM
prismatic deluge, lvl9, CM
prismatic sphere, lvl9, PHB

Lhurgyof
2013-05-14, 12:13 AM
Are most prismatic spells evocation (for the ones in other books, I'm away from my books at the moment)?

Frathe
2013-05-14, 12:13 PM
Are most prismatic spells evocation (for the ones in other books, I'm away from my books at the moment)?It varies. Prismatic Spray is evocation, Wall and Sphere are Abjuration.

Maginomicon
2013-05-14, 03:39 PM
I have a character descriptive document (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lW7lvUeSVCjUF674oUfEmXwOi0-Q3ssuVd1_B7KiW3s/edit?usp=sharing) for a similar character I made a while back. Hopefully its contents will be useful to you.

Nymrod
2013-05-14, 04:02 PM
Be careful of dramatic use of grayscale; it could make your character's spell selection useless!

Slipperychicken
2013-05-14, 09:18 PM
If you fluff it to be flashy enough, you could justify using Summon Monster spells for elementals as different colors. Fire is red, water is blue, earth is brown, wind is white, and surely you can find green and black creatures to round it out.

Glitterdust is easily reimagined as using rainbow-colored sparkly dust.

If your DM is a decent human being, he could simply let you reskin your spells to be colorful and unique. If he's a total soulless wanker who won't, you can take Spell Thematics to make any spell rainbow/prismatic themed.

dascarletm
2013-05-15, 12:47 AM
If you fluff it to be flashy enough, you could justify using Summon Monster spells for elementals as different colors. Fire is red, water is blue, earth is brown, wind is white, and surely you can find green and black creatures to round it out.

Glitterdust is easily reimagined as using rainbow-colored sparkly dust.

If your DM is a decent human being, he could simply let you reskin your spells to be colorful and unique. If he's a total soulless wanker who won't, you can take Spell Thematics to make any spell rainbow/prismatic themed.

I let a player reskin all his spells to be Ice themed. The penance he had to pay was appropriate Mr. Freeze style puns.

"Chill Out."
"Revenge is a dish best served... cold."
and so forth.

Be prepared for themed puns.

"That's not a Bright Idea."
"What Colorful language."
"Brilliant!"
:smallamused: