PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Druids! A Noob Needs Help!!!

Warren Peace
2013-05-13, 05:08 PM
Hey guys and girls War here and I have a question for you, well actually quite a few questions actually...

So something my campaign has started doing is drawing classes from a hat to choose who they will play in the game (I had way to many people doing the same roles over and over again and this has been a fun way of making players try something new, so far so good). Well I am the DM but I have other friends who DM as well and when I took my turn to draw my class from the hat I got the Druid.

Druids were pretty much ignored by everyone I have ever player with due to their complex paperwork and so much involved in creating them but I became intrigued and really want to try one out. I obviously fell in love with the whole Fleshraker / Venomfire epicness that's pretty OP IMO but should be fun as well.

So I started looking up stuff and decided I am going to pit my players against a boss druid who's level 10 and I really could use some help with this since I am such a noob.

What stats would a level 10 druids Fleshraker have? Does it's HD go up and make it a medium monster now? Does it's damage go from D6's to D8's? Could someone actually show me an example of what it would look like? Sorry I am not trying to pass the ball onto someone else to make them create my monsters for me I just need to see it to understand it I guess lol

I know there has to be some druids out there who knows this like the back of their hands and if so feel free to PM I am always looking for friends I can gleam info out of :smalltongue:

Ok moving on to Wild Shape as a level 10 druid wouldn't the best option for getting down and dirty in melee just be to wild shape into another Fleshraker? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So I beg of you please keep answers to a simplified response, I am doing my best to try and understand new things but also trying to give my players new exciting enemies and bosses so if someone could help that would be awesome!

Thanks again!

eggynack
2013-05-13, 05:49 PM
Doesn't it just advance the HD as standard? It think it maintains its original size and stuff of that kind. At level 10, it should be at level 7 of its advancement, so 4 bonus HD putting it at 8 HD overall. That gets it one bonus feat, which is pretty neat. For wildshaping, I tend to go with large creatures at level 10. There's a good list of both animal companions and wildshape forms hereabouts (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0). It's not the single greatest handbook in the world, but it's pretty competent at giving a solid list of this kind of stuff.

Verditude
2013-05-13, 05:56 PM
Relevant rules: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion

The fleshraker companion of a level 10 druid gains bonus HD, etc, as if its master were a level 7 druid, so it gets +4 hit dice, +4 natural armor,+2 to strength and dexterity, 3 bonus tricks, and Link, Share Spells, Evasion, and Devotion.

These bonus HD don't increase its size - they're like class level HD in this regard - but it's already medium. Its damage dice don't change. Just take the fleshraker entry from the monster manual (3, I think) and roll 4 more hit dice -add those to its HP, add 4 to its natural armor, add 2 to its strength and dexterity scores, and give it 3 tricks (and however many the druid happened to teach it already).

Fleshraker is a good melee wildshape form, but it depends what you want. If you want to trample a lot of mooks, a cave triceratops or ankylosaurus might be more up your alley. If you want a pure grappler, a brown bear might be better. Flying forms are useful if you do a lot of blasting with spells (remember to take natural spell).

Warren Peace
2013-05-13, 06:01 PM
Relevant rules: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion

The fleshraker companion of a level 10 druid gains bonus HD, etc, as if its master were a level 7 druid, so it gets +4 hit dice, +4 natural armor,+2 to strength and dexterity, 3 bonus tricks, and Link, Share Spells, Evasion, and Devotion.

These bonus HD don't increase its size - they're like class level HD in this regard - but it's already medium. Its damage dice don't change. Just take the fleshraker entry from the monster manual (3, I think) and roll 4 more hit dice -add those to its HP, add 4 to its natural armor, add 2 to its strength and dexterity scores, and give it 3 tricks (and however many the druid happened to teach it already).

Fleshraker is a good melee wildshape form, but it depends what you want. If you want to trample a lot of mooks, a cave triceratops or ankylosaurus might be more up your alley. If you want a pure grappler, a brown bear might be better. Flying forms are useful if you do a lot of blasting with spells (remember to take natural spell).

THANK YOU!!! That helped so much you are a life saver!