PDA

View Full Version : Tips for getting an over-active GM to focus?

Togath
2013-05-13, 06:30 PM
In a pbp other at mythweavers(link to the thread, since it helps you see what I'm talking about (http://www.myth-weavers.com/showthread.php?t=212282&page=9)), the current Gm seems hyper active, and is confused that most of us can only post 2-3 times per day.
He also keeps taking the reigns out of our hands and putting words into our character's mouths, and it's starting to seem like he'd be more interested in just writing to himself.
all of us, save for one person(it's a 7 person campaign) have now thoroughly explained that we'll just drop and find a different one if it doesn't stop..
And he's still somehow confused..:smallmad:

Among other things, he's also having trouble understanding that when an npc left the room, we wanted to do a few things before he got back, and has started arguing that we're "slowing his campaign down" despite the fact that we're the players!:smallannoyed:

edit: wow. the guy just kicked me, and all but the one player who didn't argue, out...

Deathkeeper
2013-05-13, 07:21 PM
How DARE the players not be able to take time out of their jobs/classes to post in my Dungeons and Dragons online game twelve times a day! I shall burn them!!
I mean, I post many times a day but that's because my schedule worked out that way. It'd be awesome if the others matches my speed, but I'd never expect them to.
And yeah, the only times I can accept the DM godmodding players is when it's for things that they'd never not to or would do as part of something they already said. Shaking a hand as part of saying "I greet him" etc.

tensai_oni
2013-05-13, 07:30 PM
PbP games are slow by definition. Expecting your players to post more often than once a day is just unreasonable. I mean, it's great when they have enough time for more frequent posting, but demanding that just means the GM is an ass.

Slipperychicken
2013-05-13, 08:25 PM
I mean, it's great when they have enough time for more frequent posting, but demanding that just means the GM is an ass.

It could mean that he doesn't really understand that other people have better things to do than post about D&D 24/7.

Grinner
2013-05-13, 08:48 PM
Well, I can understand how he feels. You've got great ambitions, and you really want to see them played out before you fizzle out.

The game won't last long, with or without you; he should really be DMing a chat game.

Barsoom
2013-05-13, 11:26 PM
I always felt that the "Big 16" questions for a PbP should really be a "Big 18", with the addition of 'how often are players expected to post', and 'how long of a commitment is expected for this game'

Jay R
2013-05-14, 02:05 PM
edit: wow. the guy just kicked me, and all but the one player who didn't argue, out...

Well, he focused on something, evidently.

In any event, problem solved. Congratulations. You are now free to find (or start) a game more to your liking