PDA

View Full Version : Would you allow this?

SciChronic
2013-05-13, 06:36 PM
Would you allow retraining for stances?
The more i look at the low level stances, the more i see how weak they become as your level increases.

what's more, the level of stances is awkwardly placed if you are multiclassing

A Factotum 8/Warblade X gains their 2nd of 3 stances the level before they gain access to 5th level stances, relegating them to pick between the weak 3rd level stances, and the, at that point, weak 1st level stances. The same for their 3rd stance happens, being gained the level before they get access to their 8th level stances, getting stuck with 5th level stances, or the single Tiger 7th level stance.

Carth
2013-05-13, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I always allow it, it doesn't really change anything significant.

Bakkan
2013-05-13, 06:45 PM
No I don't allow retraining of stances. Instead, I adjust the levels at which the classes receive their stances (at level 5 insead of 4, etc.)

Cheiromancer
2013-05-13, 06:50 PM
If you allow retraining for feats, I think you should also allow retraining for stances.

Whether I would allow retraining for feats, though... Depends on the game, the player, and the feat. Note that it is possible by the rules to train away the prerequisites for a prestige class without penalty, since the prestige class often supplies its own prerequisite after a time. For instance, if a character qualifies early for Mystic Theurge using sanctum spell or something, they can take a few levels then they can train away the feat(s) they used to qualify in order to get something better. Even without sanctum spell they can cast spells of the requisite level. Unlike rebuilding there is no requirement for retraining to result in a legal character.

I may be mistaken, but I think stances only check for legality when you take them, and so you could train away their prerequisite stances. In the situation you describe with the Factotum 8/Warblade X I would probably let them retrain.

Just to Browse
2013-05-13, 06:50 PM
I totally would allow that.

ahenobarbi
2013-05-13, 08:11 PM
Yeah, wizards & sorcerers get to change their spells so there is no reason to not allow retraining stances.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-05-13, 08:21 PM
There are some low-level stances that keep relevant at higher levels, for example Blood in the water or hunter's sense (though this can be replaced by hearing the air to a degree).

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-13, 08:52 PM
There are some low-level stances that keep relevant at higher levels, for example Blood in the water or hunter's sense (though this can be replaced by hearing the air to a degree).

Don't forget Flame's Blessing, Island of Blades or Step of the Wind.

Dusk Eclipse
2013-05-13, 08:56 PM
Just mentioning the first ones that came to my mind; but yes, there are a lot more low level stances that work pretty good even at higher levels.

SciChronic
2013-05-13, 09:06 PM
warblades get the short end of the stick, especially if your focus is diamond mind and iron heart.

Iron heart:
Punishing stance: 1d6 for -2AC is a bad trade at high levels
Absolute Steel Stance: +10ft movement is nice, but you have to move to get the AC bonus
Dancing Blade Form: probably the best Iron Heart Stance
Supreme Blade Parry: DR5/- is terrible for the level you get it.

Diamond Mind:
Stance of Clarity: bad any time you're fighting more than 2 enemies
Pearl of black doubt: trap stance, why get more AC against something that already can't hit you?
Hearing the Air:useful if you don't get blindsight
Stance of Alacrity: best stance in Diamond Mind

Slipperychicken
2013-05-13, 10:37 PM
Sounds reasonable to me. It's not exactly a huge power boost, and if casters can swap their spells and fighters can swap their feats, I don't see why not.