PDA

View Full Version : Expanding the Dread Necro's spells

saxavarius
2013-05-13, 10:39 PM
How much of a power boost would expanding the DR's spell list to include all necromancy spells and make advanced learning apply to any spell? game breaking? Up to tier 2?

Silva Stormrage
2013-05-14, 02:10 AM
Probably not a big enough bump to tier 2. Versatility wise anyway. Most of the necromancy school is a tad bit redundant, it WOULD make the DN much stronger (Adding things like fleshshiver, animate dread warrior, aura of terror etc for free) and a lot stronger than the average tier 3 but I still think they would be tier 3.

Coidzor
2013-05-14, 11:42 AM
How much of a power boost would expanding the DR's spell list to include all necromancy spells and make advanced learning apply to any spell? game breaking? Up to tier 2?

It'd be a significant power boost, but while it would prevent them from having to choose which necromancy spell tricks were available to them(they get revive undead, animate dread warrior, and awaken undead for instance), that's not quite enough to be T2 on that front alone. If they got more advanced learning instances with that set up, especially at higher levels, then, yeah, might go into T2 at that point.

These might be relevant (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162358)to your interests (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15203207#post15203207)as well.

JoshuaZ
2013-05-14, 12:18 PM
In my campaigns, DNs and warmages get new spell levels like wizards (extending the table in the straightforward way), and DNs get advanced learning at every even level. This is partially because I really like primary spellcasters getting a new spell each level. I don't think the power boost changes their tier, primarily since advanced learning for DNs has to come from necromancy. Similar remarks would apply to the warmage: Their just aren't enough great spells in the evocation or necromancy schools to really provide the sort of gamebreaking that one gets in a genuine T2. But this does push up the DN to the way top of T3.

Edit: To answer your actuial question if have advanced learning apply to all spells and have them get all necromancy spells that would be clearly T2.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-05-14, 02:56 PM
I think it would bump them up to Tier 2, simply by virtue of giving them access to things like Celerity/Contingency combos, polycheese, Planar Binding/Gate shenanigans, and other such noise.

Bonzai
2013-05-14, 03:20 PM
I have a house rule in my games, allowing Dread Necromancers and Beguilers to take the Eclectic Learning alternate class feature instead of Advanced Learning, just like Warmages do. I have not found it to be a problem at all.

JaronK
2013-05-14, 03:45 PM
I think there's a ton of brutal Necromancer spells that they'd get as a result (Awaken Undead, Avasculate, Animate Dread Warrior, Black Sand, Ghoul Glyph, Consumptive Field, and so on). And then with Advanced Learning they could get some of the super power spells (They have Planar Binding, all they need is Magic Circle and Dimensional Anchor to be able to start Efreeti Wish Loops).

So, probably Tier 2 from that.

JaronK