PDA

View Full Version : Stance Question (ToB)

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-14, 12:13 AM
The only way to leave a stance is for the initiator to expend a swift action to do so, correct?

I've seen a few references by other posters to being rendered Helpless kicking you out of a stance in other threads on this forum but I can't actually find any rules support for such a position.

All that I can find is page 38 of Tome of Battle which says "You initiate a stance as a swift action. A stance remains in effect indefinitely and is not expended. You enjoy the benefit your stance confers until you change to another stance you know as a swift action. You can remain in a stance outside of combat situations, and you can enjoy its benefit while exploring or traveling."

And the text of helpless just be thorough.

A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy. A helpless target is treated as having a Dexterity of 0 (-5 modifier). Melee attacks against a helpless target get a +4 bonus (equivalent to attacking a prone target). Ranged attacks gets no special bonus against helpless targets. Rogues can sneak attack helpless targets.

As a full-round action, an enemy can use a melee weapon to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless foe. An enemy can also use a bow or crossbow, provided he is adjacent to the target. The attacker automatically hits and scores a critical hit. (A rogue also gets her sneak attack damage bonus against a helpless foe when delivering a coup de grace.) If the defender survives, he must make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die.

Delivering a coup de grace provokes attacks of opportunity.

Creatures that are immune to critical hits do not take critical damage, nor do they need to make Fortitude saves to avoid being killed by a coup de grace.

Barsoom
2013-05-14, 12:20 AM
ToB page 43: "your stance ends if you are rendered helpless"

Ashtagon
2013-05-14, 12:21 AM
Nearest I can find is the line on p38: "To initiate a maneuver or a stance, you must be able to move. ", but that only refers to initiating the stance, not to maintaining.

As nearly as I can tell, saying that stances end if you are held immobile is a houserule, but very much a common sense one.

Swordsaged.

Frosty
2013-05-14, 12:52 AM
Makes sense logically. If you can't move, how can you maintain your combat form (stance)?

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-14, 01:11 AM
Ugh, I might like the content of ToB but I swear that it is the worst laid out book in 3.5. Thanks all.

Fouredged Sword
2013-05-14, 06:27 AM
Magic of incarnum is worse. I think WoTC went into an experimental stage for book layout as well as content6.

Darrin
2013-05-14, 08:35 AM
Magic of incarnum is worse.

Five Nations trumps MoI.