PDA

View Full Version : Natural Weapon, or TWF Ninja?(pf)

Togath
2013-05-14, 01:41 AM
As the title suggests, I'm building a ninja right now.. but having trouble deciding on weapons.
He's(probably) going to end up catfolk, so he could get two claw attacks, though I could also go the other way, and use something such as the wakizashi for it's high crit, or daggers for the added ability to throw them if I have to(and because he gets a +1 to hit with daggers[or chef's knives at least], via the Rough And Ready trait[gives proficiency with improvised weapons related to anything you have ranks in craft or profession for, as well as an extra +1 to hit with them])

It's a 25 point-buy game, and I'd been thinking of going for Wave Strike and a Dex build.

BTB
2013-05-14, 02:07 AM
If the game gets to a point where iteratives start coming into play, you'll get more bang for your Sneak Attack out of TWF, not counting the possibility of alchemist shenanigans. That being said, if such shenanigans ARE coming into play, we could perhaps lent you a hand, er, claw. or two. And maybe a few tentacles and a bite.

Ravens_cry
2013-05-14, 02:17 AM
Most of the shenanigans for getting natural weapon involves multiclassing, and I would be as loathe to multiclass a Ninja as I would most spellcasters, even more so if it was going to 20. You want the 2nd invisible trick as soon as possible, and the Cap is, well, it's awesome is what it is.

BTB
2013-05-14, 02:19 AM
Ah, I see. I wouldn't know, less optimal or not, I always preferred the flavour of the rogue, who'd likely take an alchemist multiclass a fait bit better. Assuming Togath here is correct, you're probably better taking the TWF. I prefer the daggers myself, especially with quick draw so you can full attack at 10ft and just get more.

Togath
2013-05-14, 03:35 AM
I'll go with TWF/Wave Strike then.
Any advice for stat distribution? Is there a cap to look out for for dexterity?
At the moment he's at(taking into account racial bonuses);
Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16.

Ravens_cry
2013-05-14, 04:03 AM
I'll go with TWF/Wave Strike then.
Any advice for stat distribution? Is there a cap to look out for for dexterity?
At the moment he's at(taking into account racial bonuses);
Str 12, Dex 18, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 16.
If you can get Agile, you honestly do not need Strength.
Dump it at most to 10 and if yo uare starting with Agile, dump it further.
Con I'd keep as is, but you get 8 skill points a level. I love me my skill points, but it's doubtful you'll need it. I'd dump Int to 10. That frees up some point points to put into Dex, maybe even getting a 20. Charisma I'd up by 1, so once yuo hit level four, you can get another ki point and improve social skills. I love me social skills. Though I don't abuse them, I love being able to create some wonderfully evocative description for Intimidate and then have the numbers to back it up.
Wave Strike is . . . eh, I rarely like things that only work once per combat, though that might or might not be RAW.
Feinting only works in melee and you know what else you can do in melee? Flank. And you're a Ninja. Go invisible, throw some smoke bombs. Plenty of options.
Butterfly Sting is awesome if you can fit it in, especially if you are using Wakisashi, though it does mean going against what I said about dumping Int. Maybe put 1 point and get a +2 magic item. Fairly cheap.
But, seriously, giving the guy with the x3 (or x4!) weapon a free crit? What's not to like?

Togath
2013-05-14, 04:23 AM
I'll probably lower str then.
As for the Wakizashi.. would it be worth duel wielding them? I have a hard time picturing what it would look like, but stat-wise it's quite good.
Int was mostly up for skill points.. what would be good to drop?
At the moment he has;
Acrobatics, Bluff(though if he loses wave strike it wont be as needed), Disable Device, Disguise, Knowledge(Local), Linguistics, Perception, Profession: Chef(not as needed if he ends up using wakizashi), Sleight of Hand, Stealth, and Use Magic Device.

Knowledge: local, and Sleight of hand seemed the least useful(save for Profession: chef, but that's mostly in there for fluff)

Baroncognito
2013-05-14, 04:26 AM
He's(probably) going to end up catfolk, so he could get two claw attacks, though I could also go the other way.

You could do both. Start at low levels with the claw attacks so you get two without any to-hit penalties.

When you can afford them, get some claw blades (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/claw-blades). Then your claws will count as light weapons and you'll get iterative attacks with them.

Criticals aren't really that interesting on a rogue anyway, since the precision damage doesn't double.

Togath
2013-05-14, 12:35 PM
Neat.
hadn't known about those, sounds like the best option for him :smallsmile:(and gets rid of the odd fluff of him using a wakizashi)

Ravens_cry
2013-05-14, 02:14 PM
I'll probably lower str then.
As for the Wakizashi.. would it be worth duel wielding them? I have a hard time picturing what it would look like, but stat-wise it's quite good.
Int was mostly up for skill points.. what would be good to drop?
At the moment he has;
Acrobatics, Bluff(though if he loses wave strike it wont be as needed), Disable Device, Disguise, Knowledge(Local), Linguistics, Perception, Profession: Chef(not as needed if he ends up using wakizashi), Sleight of Hand, Stealth, and Use Magic Device.

Knowledge: local, and Sleight of hand seemed the least useful(save for Profession: chef, but that's mostly in there for fluff)
Hmm, I might drop Disable device. Unlike a Rogue, you do not get Trapfinding, so you will only as good as any class taking it as a class skill, and you can not dip Rogue to get it. Darn yes it would be worth it to use twin Wakisashi, what is hard to see about it exactly? Chef is some interesting flavour, but it is not really needed.

Togath
2013-05-14, 02:28 PM
Not as hard to picture now..
Just did an image search for any depictions of wielding two wakizashi.. several were from a style of kendo.. Probably going to go with them then, if it's a common enough theme for it not to strike someone as odd :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2013-05-14, 07:47 PM
Not as hard to picture now..
Just did an image search for any depictions of wielding two wakizashi.. several were from a style of kendo.. Probably going to go with them then, if it's a common enough theme for it not to strike someone as odd :smallsmile:

I could draw you a portrait. I already did a portrait (http://ravens-cry.deviantart.com/art/Rock-Dwarf-Character-Portrait-283651221?q=gallery%3Aravens-cry&qo=0) for someone else on this board. Just send me a PM with a description and I can get to work. I can either do it in the above style or as a pencil drawing.