PDA

View Full Version : Burned By Fire (IC)

weaveworker89
2013-05-14, 03:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8

Dusk has arrived and the household gathers in the main hall for a simple meal of fish stew, freshly caught from the lake and served in trenchers of warmly baked bread. The captain of the Tornish House Garrison, Ser Garrett Riven, flirts with a serving girl surrounded by his guardsmen and the captains of the other house units.
At the other end of the table sits Lord and Lady Tornish, Darryn joking with those commoners who have been chosen to dine at the Lord's table this night and a retainer from House Whent, across the God's Eye.
Up and down the table, buzzing even over the standard talk of the oncoming harvest and its attendant celebration, discussion turns to the messenger who arrived this morning.
A tall knight in fine black mail carrying a Targaryen banner, but with colors reversed - Black dragon on a red field - who demanded and was instantly given an audience with the Lord of the house. Fast as arrows theories fly back and forth as to his message: The targaryens plan to finally quash dorne once and for all and that the messenger arrived to call loyal banners.
A grizzled freerider attached to the house cavalry points out that the Targaryens wear red on black, the messenger's colors were that of Daemon Blackfyre, one of the Unworthy Bastards.
Throughout the conversation, the house steward Alric looks sourly at those mentioning the name Blackfyre and shushes the conversation when Bareth the brewmaster, sitting next to him, brings it up.

Late in the evening Telos, one of the garrison guards, approaches Gallen Tornish and bows stiffly.
"M'lord if you'd do me the favor of a word in private, we're havin' a bit of trouble with the smallfolk. I don' want to worry your brother none, but I believe this is the kind o' problem you'd be perfect for, given your past."

Creed
2013-05-15, 04:53 AM
Balthazar Krow

Krow sits a little off to the side through the feast, a comfortable distance behind Gallen Tornish's seat. He carefully spoons the stew into his mouth, and takes only water to drink of.

weaveworker89
2013-05-15, 05:14 AM
A smallfolk child sits down next to the Ironborn giant.
"My mam says yoiu wear all those bandages because you're burned, ser. are you a dragon fighter? Mam says there are no dragons but the King anymore, but I don't think there's anything else that could burn a person whole. So are you, ser? A dragon fighter, that is?"
The child is energetic and cheery, glinting blue eyes showing some spark of a brain covered by the mud brown hair common to the smallfolk of the region.

Creed
2013-05-15, 03:08 PM
The sells word pauses for a moment, then shakes his head at the child,
"Your mother is right, there are no dragons these days, not even the King. In any case, dragons didn't burn me. A Kraken did."

weaveworker89
2013-05-15, 06:05 PM
"Oh." The boy drops his eyes, crestfallen that you've confirmed his deepest fears. "What's a kraken, ser?" He says, looking up. "Does it breathe fire, too?"

Creed
2013-05-15, 08:18 PM
Balthazar settles backwards, trying to think of how best to explain it,
"A Kraken is a giant sea monster, a squid with tentacles as thick around as a draft horse. They don't breathe out fire, only salt water... but when they breathe in, they suck the ocean into them, drawing any nearby ships to a watery grave," Krow makes a swirling motion in his water, creating a miniature whirlpool to show the child.
"And stop callin' me ser. Never cared much for knights."

weaveworker89
2013-05-15, 08:24 PM
The boy looks on enraptured by the whirlpool and after you stop attempts to create one in his own cup, sloshing water about.
"Oh, sorry, se..... er. What's your name? And if they don't breathe fire, how did it burn you?"

Creed
2013-05-15, 08:40 PM
Krow chuckles to himself,
"Name's Balthazar Krow, folks around these parts just call me Krow though. And fire isn't the only thing that burns."

weaveworker89
2013-05-15, 10:20 PM
"I dreamed about fire once! And dragons. Two of them were fighting, one red and one black. They were biting each other and shooting flame and rawr rawr roar." The boy has gotten into his story to the point that he's leaning into you and using his hands as claws to show you what he means. "Then my mam woke me up. That's her over there!" He points to a plump brown-haired woman gesticulating wildly in a 'get over here RIGHT now' manner.

Dienekes
2013-05-15, 11:26 PM
"Of course," Gallen downed the last of his glass of wine and shut his book as he rose to his feet. "Give me the details Telos. Will I be needing to fetch my armor?"

weaveworker89
2013-05-16, 12:55 AM
Telos takes a swig from a flask before nodding and steeling himself. He drops his voice so as only to be heard by those nearest Gallen.
"Well, m'lord, seems a few sellswords were stayin' at the tavern in town and did summat like takin' over the place. Now them swords won't send ol' Donnel out and a group of smallfolks gathered around with pitchforks and torches sayin' they'd smoke them out. I left a watchman to make sure no fires were lit til I got you, m'lord."
The big guardsman gulps and stands at a relaxed attention, clearly afraid that reporting such bad news to the mighty could end his life.

Vizzi
2013-05-16, 02:11 AM
Robert sits quietly at the back, his eyes carefully watching as he eats the fish stew, pausing briefly to dip his bread in the bowl. His face turning into a grin at hearing the news of the sellswords.

Creed
2013-05-16, 04:17 AM
Krow flinches and pats the child on the back,
"You should run along now," he says quietly, before redirecting his eyes to Gallen, who's now talking to a guard. Was there trouble?

Dienekes
2013-05-16, 07:50 AM
"Hmm," Gallen stops to think. "Get what men you have to spare to stand guard over the tavern and maintain order until I get there. I will also need several of our better combatants. Discretely, inform Krow, that archer Robert, and the sellswords under Blackwood that they have to earn their pay for once. And for Seven's sake quit shaking and acting like a frightened child, you're representing House Tornish." Gallen turned to fetch his equipment before he turned and added as an afterthought. "And bring my nephew, he should be getting used to this sort of business."

weaveworker89
2013-05-16, 02:03 PM
The man's spin stiffens as though a sword was run up him and he nods.
"Aye, m'lord, it will be done. The men are mostly out on patrol at the moment, but I'll fetch them that can come."
After this he strides over to Krow and the others indicated and says to each of them.
"Ser Gallen requests your help in taking care of a small matter with the smallfolk. He'll meet you outside the castle gates in a bit."

Dienekes
2013-05-16, 05:38 PM
Gallen quickly grabs his weapons and armor and heads for the gate his mind already spinning with plots to smooth over the situation. He shook his head as he noticed he was the first one to reach the gates. We're getting lax, he thought coldly. I will have to have a word with Ser Garrett.

Amaril
2013-05-16, 05:42 PM
Jaden glanced up from his supper as Telos approached his seat at Lord Darryn's table. Despite the guardsman's worthy attempts at appearing impassive, Jaden couldn't help noticing the nervousness in his face. For a moment, he feared something was amiss, but then he shook himself--had anything gone wrong enough to worry over, his lord father would surely have been the first to be told. Seven hells, Jaden thought to himself, no dreams for a month and I'm still on edge.
"Yes, Telos, what is it?" Jaden addressed the guard, putting on a polite smile to hopefully put him more at ease.
"M'lord, Ser Gallen requests your help in taking care of a small matter with the smallfolk. He'll meet you outside the castle gates in a bit."
"Is that so? Did he say precisely what it was he needed?"
"Er, well, if ye don't mind, m'lord, I reckon I should let him be the one to explain it." Dropping his voice slightly and glancing to either side, Telos said cryptically "it's best this be kept quiet if possible."
Jaden's former worry was replaced by annoyance. Kept quiet, should it? I swear, if this is just my uncle being paranoid again... Ever since he came back to the Arch, Gallen had had it in his head that his nephew should be taking on more active responsibilities in ruling the hold, and Jaden found it incredibly tiresome. Nonetheless, his lord father had made it quite clear that he was expected to respond to his uncle's requests with courtesy and grace, so Jaden knew he had little choice but to abandon his meal. He cast his eyes over to the head of the table--Lord Darryn was, as usual, having a fine time laughing and joking with the guests, and Lady Alla was the picture of good cheer. Neither of them seemed aware of anything amiss. There would be little point in bothering them about whatever it was Gallen wanted--had it been important, Telos would have gone to them first.
"Very well, Telos. Thank you for bringing this to my attention" Jaden replied. Telos turned and headed toward Balthazar Krow's seat.
With a weary sigh, Jaden rose from his chair and set off for his chambers to retrieve his sword and armor--just in case.

Synvallius
2013-05-16, 07:31 PM
Having been in the Godswood during the feast, Charles was the last to be summoned by Telos. After receiving the message to meet Gallen at the gate, Charles heaved himself up from his kneeling position in front of the "Heart Tree," and made his way to his quarters where he armed and armored himself and set off towards the gate. Upon seeing Gallen he sketched a slight, perfunctory bow and said, "Sir, you sent for me?"

Creed
2013-05-16, 08:12 PM
Krow comes towards the gate next, his massive greatsword, Hewer, slung over his shoulder as he saunters across the courtyard, whistling a slow tune that matches his pace.
When he arrives at the gate, he takes a deep breath of the cool night air before turning to Gallen and Charles.
"Hope it's nothing too serious, Gallen. Live steel, or are we just cleaning up a brawl for these pansies you call guardsmen?"

Dienekes
2013-05-17, 08:06 AM
"Yes, thank you both for showing up promptly," Gallen glances between the two swordsman. "A band of sellswords have decided to take over Donnel's tavern. Actually I'm glad the two of you arrived first, as you both have specific tasks. Blackwood, you will accompany me to treat with the sellswords. I need your skill with words to deal with this in a minimum of bloodshed. From the looks of things we may be heading down south and will need an army, offer the sellswords a contract if they come out peacefully, and if they don't we will burn the tavern to the ground. I will not have a group of sellswords make a mockery of my house." He turned to Krow. "I want you to lead the men during the talks. Tell the men to be ready for anything, even if it looks like we've won. A drunken swordsman is likely to do anything. If you hear me call any of the sellswords 'friend' that's the signal to slaughter them all. Am I understood?"

Synvallius
2013-05-17, 08:41 AM
"Do we know how many sellswords there are in the tavern?" asked Charles, while he reached up to stroke his beard.

Dienekes
2013-05-17, 06:37 PM
"No idea, I was planning for Robert to scout ahead and bring this information but he has yet to arrive."

Creed
2013-05-17, 08:03 PM
Krow scowls,
"By the sounds of it, these men have no place at my side in any coming fights. But it's your call, not mine. I will do as you ask."

Dienekes
2013-05-18, 03:58 PM
Gallen shrugged. "They're just a band of sellswords, once they're out of the tavern I'll make certain they do not cause us any more trouble."

Creed
2013-05-18, 05:18 PM
"If you don't then I will," the Ironborn says, glancing around.
"Who else did you tell to come along?"

Dienekes
2013-05-18, 07:29 PM
"Robert and my nephew," he said with a look of impatience. "Where is that boy?"

Amaril
2013-05-18, 07:44 PM
Jaden emerged from the castle's doors, armor donned and sword strapped over his shoulder, just in time to hear his uncle complaining about his absence. Mentally steeling himself against Gallen's inevitable irritation, he strode over to where the three men were gathered.
"Uncle Gallen," he said, giving his uncle a polite nod. "I apologize for my lateness. I'm told you needed my help with something?"

Dienekes
2013-05-18, 09:40 PM
Gallen looked at his nephew, his eye critically evaluating him for the thousandth time. A dandy, even in armor he appeared too clean by half. At this age Darryn smelled of sweat and horse, Jaden smells of perfume.

"There is unrest in your lands," he said coldly. "A group of sellswords have taken over an inn and you are going to accompany us to learn how to deal with the situation. Krow, my nephew will stay with you. I trust you will keep him safe?"

Amaril
2013-05-18, 09:58 PM
Jaden endured his uncle's scrutiny as best he could, pretending not to notice or care. He loathed the judgment Gallen laid upon him every time they spoke--what right had he to judge the man who would one day be his lord? Watch yourself, old man Jaden thought privately, just because I don't need to constantly remind everyone of it doesn't mean I'm not a warrior.
"Of course, uncle" Jaden responded, coldness creeping into his voice despite his efforts to remain calm. "I promise Ser Krow will not find me a burden."

Synvallius
2013-05-18, 10:48 PM
Charles watched the subdued animosity between Gallen and Jaden and shakes his head in mild disdain. And then, struck with sudden inspiration, he mutters under his breath, "The mighty oak grows strong and proud, head reaching high to touch the cloud/Uncaring, unfeeling it shuns the earth, not wondering what the sapling's worth."Charles smiles to himself for a moment, but his amusement passes quickly and he then turns to Jaden and asks, "Is this your first time in combat?" He seems to mean the question sincerely, but his face gives nothing away.

Amaril
2013-05-18, 11:43 PM
Jaden forced down his annoyance at the sound of Blackwood's voice. He hadn't spoken to the nobleman nearly as much as he would have liked in the past--he couldn't help admiring, and slightly envying, Charles' years of travelling across the world, and the former sellsword seemed to like him well enough. Jaden certainly didn't want to offend him with anything said in the midst of his frustration with his uncle.
"True combat, yes, though I like to think I'm no stranger to a sword" he replied, hitching his smile back up. Though I hope it won't come to a battle, he added to himself, suddenly nervous. He certainly wasn't eager to cut a man again since two years ago...

Vizzi
2013-05-18, 11:51 PM
With some amusement Robert walks towards them from outside the castle, clearly no one expects Robert to appear. His steps measured and almost silent moving at an easy pace his eyes quickly measuring each man before finally nodding silently in greeting.

Dienekes
2013-05-19, 12:22 AM
Gallen was about to deliver another remark to his nephew when he saw Robert had somehow slipped into the rest of the group.

"Robert," Gallen nodded in recognition to the archer, hiding his bafflement of how the man just seemed to appear whenever his back was turned. "there is a group of sellswords that have taken over Donnel's tavern. The information after that is vague at best, can you get in get an estimate of their numbers and what harm they've done and report back to me? I know entering and exiting an overrun building may even tax your talent at stealth."

Creed
2013-05-19, 12:30 AM
Krow turns towards the young man, wrapped in steel, standing before him. He runs his eyes over the heir to House Tornish and shakes his head,
"Don't call me ser. Do I look like a thrice-damned knight to you, son? Keep your wits about you, and keep your sword where it belongs, and you'll come out with your looks intact, pretty boy."

Amaril
2013-05-19, 10:21 AM
"My apologies, master Krow. I'll not make that mistake again." All this mockery, subtle and otherwise, was truly starting to get on Jaden's nerves by now, and he berated himself internally for sounding more scathing than he had intended. "And I'm sure I can manage just fine under your able supervision--you needn't be concerned on my behalf."
Sometimes, Jaden thought the thing he most looked forward to about being lord of the Arch was not having to be polite to such trying men as these. It was going to be a long evening.

Vizzi
2013-05-19, 08:10 PM
Robert turned slightly towards Krow and Jaden looking slightly amused at the interplay, truly like unruly children.

In any case he turned back to Gallen, a simple "Understood, i will do as much as i can." accompanied by a nod where all it took before he once again drifted away, moving with a fast and easily maintained pace towards the Tavern, it should prove interesting he thought, after all its not every day such a request is made.

Creed
2013-05-19, 09:03 PM
Krow claps a hand across the lordling' broad shoulders.
"There's a good lad. We'll make a soldier out of you yet," he says quietly, before chuckling to himself and turning to follow Robert.

Synvallius
2013-05-19, 09:17 PM
"Hopefully we won't need to fight to resolve this, but if so I'm sure you'll acquit yourself well." He said to Jaden's response to his question. And then he turned to Gallen and said, "Whenever you're ready to continue on towards the tavern, sir."

Amaril
2013-05-19, 09:29 PM
Relieved that the hostility seemed to have dissipated, Jaden turned to Gallen again.
"I agree--lead on, uncle."

Dienekes
2013-05-19, 11:23 PM
"Let's go," Gallen followed Robert and Krow. Hurrying to Krow's side he whispered so only his friend could hear.

Whisper to Krow
"Keep your blade at hand we'll probably have need of it. And protect the boy, he shouldn't receive anything more than a scratch."

Creed
2013-05-20, 08:57 PM
Whisper to Gallen

"He's a good lad, despite his flaws. I'll protect him with my life. I've sworn at least that much his lord-father, not to mention you."

weaveworker89
2013-05-21, 12:38 PM
As your group at a quick march approaches the center of the small town, you hear the noise and see the dull red light cast from a dozen torches grasped tight in the fists of smallfolk.

As Gallen requested the guard seems to have the smallfolk under control, easily identifiable despite the small crowd by short spears and the cloaks in the colors of House Tornish.

The tavern is a wooden two-story building, with a few shuttered windows on the bottom floor and none on the top. From inside you can hear at least a few voices joking and laughing, with one singing extremely loudly and off key.

Robert has already managed to mingle into the crowd of smallfolk by the time the rest of the group arrives.

Creed
2013-05-21, 05:02 PM
Krow looks up at the second floor and scratches his head.

"Bet I could get up there, head in the second floor, skip right to... aggressive negotiations," he says quietly

Dienekes
2013-05-21, 10:51 PM
"No doubt you could, but if we're going to simply murder them we can let the peasantry burn the tavern down." Gallen stretched out his arm and started to rotate his shoulder until he heard it pop several times. "We wait here until Robert comes back with their numbers. Then we'll see what style of negotiation we will use."

Amaril
2013-05-21, 10:56 PM
"They don't sound very worried by the mob of peasants standing outside holding torches" Jaden observed. He felt obligated to contribute something, despite feeling somewhat out of his depth.

Synvallius
2013-05-22, 11:43 AM
"If they're as drunk as they sound, they probably don't even realize that there is a mob out here." remarked Charles calmly, as he too stretched and readied himself for what may soon devolve into a fight.

Creed
2013-05-22, 11:56 AM
"I'd bet they're not worried because they're good enough to deal with some small town guardsmen. Shows that they may be good with swords, but not too healthy in the brains. Still say we just bust down the door and get to killin'..." Krow says, muttering the last part, his voice trailing off as he draws Hewer, his massive greatsword, from the scabbard on his back.

Dienekes
2013-05-27, 02:06 PM
Once a suitable amount of time had passed Gallen started to grow impatient and glowered at the tavern. "Alright Blackwood, let's go at least try to talk to them before we have to murder them all."

Without waiting for a response he walked toward the tavern filled with howls and laughter.

weaveworker89
2013-05-28, 11:19 PM
Someone in the crowd shouts in the general direction of the group of easily distinguished nobles and warriors.
"Aye, m'lords. Fetch out Roland and his sweet daughter or we'll set the place afire and bring 'em out ourselves!"

Amaril
2013-05-28, 11:22 PM
"Peace, good man," Jaden called out in response to the mob member. "We'll have everyone out of there soon, one way or another, and with any luck, no-one will have to build a new tavern on this one's smoking ruins." They're getting restless, Jaden thought, eyeing the mob apprehensively. Hopefully they won't try to burn the place down with uncle and Blackwood inside.

Creed
2013-05-29, 08:19 PM
Krow nods at the words of the young man next to him.

"Well, let's get this over with. If things start going south, scram, kid. I may be charged with your protection, but I don't intend of keeping my eyes on you like a wet-nurse."

He steps a little closer to Jaden, and speaks quietly, too low for the others to hear:

"As far as I'm concerned, son, you're a grown man. Where I come from, you come of age as soon as you make your first kill. I'm trusting you to handle yourself, though, keep your cool."

Krow pats Jaden on the back, then, Hewer in hand, strides towards the entrance of the inn.

Amaril
2013-05-29, 08:54 PM
Well, this is it, I suppose, Jaden thought as he watched the massive Ironborn stride toward the door of the inn. I just hope uncle Gallen manages to talk them down.
Closing his eyes and gritting his teeth for a brief moment, Jaden sent up a silent prayer to the Warrior for the courage to face what might be coming. Then he drew his sword and strode after Krow, preparing to follow his lead.

Dienekes
2013-05-30, 03:59 PM
"Hoy revelers!" Gallen shouted at the tavern at the top of his lungs, breaking over the din of the crowd and the raucous merriment within the inn. "If you value life an coin open up!"

weaveworker89
2013-05-30, 10:12 PM
"Hoy loudmouth, our coin's all spent to rent good Donnel's hospitality and our live will cost dear. If ye come with whores, enter and be welcome. If ye come alone begone with ye! Donnel, be a good host and see who's at the door."

A few moments later, the door opens and the pale-skinned innkeeper stands before Gallen, his usually clean roughspun apron stained with wine and grease.. Recognizing the nobleman at once, he goes to one knee before him.
"How can I serve you, m'lord?"

Dienekes
2013-05-30, 11:21 PM
"Donnel, inform me of any intricacies besides the obvious on what's going on in there. How many sellswords, who's their leader, who's left inside besides them, how much they've drunk, and anything else that may be important."

weaveworker89
2013-05-31, 04:30 AM
"Intricacies, m'lord? It's simple enough. There's about a score of them swordsman inside. Each of them paid me one of these big silver coins" He pulls a silver moon from one of the pockets of his apron. "Then the loud one, carries a big axe - he's the one that yelled at your lordship - adds a dragon to the pile and tells me that the common room belongs to them for the night. M'lord will know that none of my other patrons could pay me so well, so I shuffled the rest of them out with one last ale and the sellswords have had the place to themselves since then. Me and my rose are servin' em. They've gone through plenty of good wine and beer already, though it seems that half the stuff ends up on the rushes, no matter the quality. Call for whores every half hour or so, though I've told them we have no proper house around here."
He looks around and his eyes widen at the mob arrayed outside his establishment.
"Didn't realize it was gettin' so bad out here, m'lord. Don't know why these folk are so upset, the last round was on them sellswords."

Dienekes
2013-05-31, 09:01 PM
Gallen blinked, his face otherwise frozen in a look that was most often seen on a very disappointed father. He held this expression in silence for several very long moments. "Oh get up," he finally said to the kneeling innkeeper. "Blackwood, could you get the attention of the crowd so Roland can explain to them exactly what he just said to me?"

weaveworker89
2013-05-31, 10:38 PM
He rises to his feet.
"My name's Donnell, ser."

Dienekes
2013-05-31, 11:00 PM
"Ahh, then perhaps you can tell me who Roland is, and why that crowd is asking for him and his 'sweet daughter' to exit your tavern?"

weaveworker89
2013-06-01, 12:06 AM
"If I knew, I'd happily tell you, ser. It's only me and my own daughter serving, and the sellswords."

Synvallius
2013-06-01, 08:22 PM
Charles turns to the crowd and after standing for a few moments in front of them in an attempt to get their attention he then begins to address them. "People, hear me. We have just been told the facts of the matter, and that the men currently occupying the tavern have leased it for the night fairly and legally, and even went so far as to pay for a last round of drinks for everyone who was in there at the time. So why then, after no harm has been done to you, are you gathering in a mob out here, and threatening to burn down an honest merchant's establishment, when no wrong has been done to you?" Charles looks around at the crowd with a reproving glance, and shakes his head.

weaveworker89
2013-06-01, 10:37 PM
"Because they were all going to kill us in our sleep!" You hear shouted from somewhere near the back of the crowd.
"No, it's because someone said they was rapin' the inkeeper's daughter." A more reserved voice says from elsewhere.
"Hoi, you'll have to pardon 'em young uns, ser." Says a portly, short man holding a torch near the front of the crowd. "They forget what they be doin' so easy. Wez all come out because sommat said that the sellswords were like to drink all the ale and leave none for us, so we had to chase 'em off."

Synvallius
2013-06-01, 10:45 PM
(To the portly man) "Well, that certainly explains why you all formed a mob. Who was it that informed you of what was going on, exactly?"

weaveworker89
2013-06-01, 11:12 PM
"Couldn't say, ser. There wuz already people shoutin' and yellin' wun I came out." Everyone else seems to express the same It's not my fault attitude.

Dienekes
2013-06-01, 11:16 PM
Gallen stood glowering over the crowd, as his mind started to race as the peasants gave their idiotic reasons for a the mob. Wait, this took work. Someone had to have a hand in this, to form a mob over such a slight thing as a group of sellswords buying out a tavern. But why? The arson of a tavern is no great loss. It would take weeks only to rebuild, and some innkeeper would arrive to replace Donell.

Suddenly his eyes grew large and his scowl seemed to grow beyond his face to blacken the entire area around him. "Seven Hells!" he exclaimed loudly. "Krow, take Jaden and half the guard and head back to the castle. Tell my brother someone has plotted a distraction among the commons and he should be prepared for whatever their actual goal is. Protect the family and the Blackfyre messenger."

Turning to the mob he let his fiercest glare wash over every one of them in turn. Something still seemed very, very wrong.

Is there anyone in the village actually with the name Roland? Or more accurately, does Gallen know anyone of that name?

Creed
2013-06-01, 11:45 PM
Krow nods swiftly and bellows at the crowd, "Make way!"

He roughly runs forward leading half the men and, hopefully, Jaden up to the castle.

Amaril
2013-06-02, 12:00 AM
What...oh Seven help us, please don't let anything have happened--I have to get back, I have to stop this! Frantic with sudden panic, Jaden dashed after Krow, praying with every breath that everyone back at the Arch was safe.

weaveworker89
2013-06-02, 02:21 AM
Gallen
Nope, you know of no one in town who goes by that name.

The crowd surges back to get away from the now rushing guards and noblemen. After the bulk of the warriors leave, Gallen and Ser Blackwood are left with perhaps 5 guards and a mob of peasants. Some still seem discontent and you hear muttering from most.

Dienekes
2013-06-02, 07:41 AM
"Each of you," Gallen bellowed to the crowd, as he paced with barely contained anger. "There has been no harm done to you and so I will have this crowd disperse. But before you return to your homes, I want each of you to look to those around you. If you see an outsider, bring him forward and on the morning you will receive ten silver stags. If you see the man who earlier mistakenly called out for Roland instead of Donnell bring him forward and you will receive ten silver stags."

weaveworker89
2013-06-02, 12:58 PM
Gallen/ Blackwood

As some of those present turn and start looking around, the thought of silver bringing an unusual greedy gleam to their eye, you hear from amidst the smallfolk "Aye, you just want us to leave and let those bloody sellswords stay. You're riskin' our lives sending half the guards back to the castle like that! Get 'em out of town!!" By the end the spoken protest is a full on yell.

Incite: [roll0] - 14
Blend in: [roll1] - 18

Krow/Jaden

You hear blackwood shouting behind you as you move as quickly as possible back towards the castle in the distance.

Dienekes
2013-06-02, 01:24 PM
Notice test: [roll0]

Why do you hate me random number generator?

Dienekes
2013-06-05, 07:34 AM
"You must not have heard me," Gallen said coldly, the menace in his voice echoing through the crowd. "The men in that tavern have done nothing against any laws of gods or men and are guests on our lands. They have acted fairly and generously buying a round for everyone in the tavern before they rented it for the night. And they are so drunk that if they did attempt to do harm to one of you a child could outsmart them. Now I will go into that tavern myself to be certain of their intentions. When I return I expect that the only people to be waiting for me to be those who have taken up my offer for silver. If this mob is still formed, there will be consequences."

Turning to Blackwood and Donnell, Gallen whispers for only them to hear. "Try to passify them as best you can. Donnell, that's your home, livelihood, and daughter which will get burned down if they get what they want. I expect you to be persuasive." With that he walked into the tavern.

Intimidation check: [roll0]

weaveworker89
2013-06-05, 08:31 PM
Krow and Jayden

As you approach the keep at a full run, you hear guards start calling out challenges.
"Halt, who goes there."
Apparently the sight of armed men and bared spears is enough to frighten at least one man, because you hear a guardsmen yell out. "To arms, to arms! Attackers"

Gallen and Blackwood

Gallen's speech and intentions are driven home when the guardsmen standing nearest all drop their spear points to menace the mob. It seems suddenly many of them have much more important places to be where they're not like to get stabbed.

Gallen

As you enter you notice Donnell wasn't exagerating- the rush covered floors are red and sweet smelling with spilled wine and there's a near full cup or two next to every one of the two sellswords in the place, each armored in boiled leather or the ocassional piece of plate.
One of the biggest men, wearing a breastplate and with a long axe next to his chair, shouts at you.
"Who the **** are you? One of those smelly little ****s outside finally get around to telling someone competent that we needed whores?!"

Amaril
2013-06-05, 08:48 PM
"You idiots, don't you recognize your future lord?" Jaden called back at the startled guards. "There may be enemies in the Arch, do your jobs and make sure everyone is safe!" He kept up his pace as he called out, struggling to keep up with Krow's massive stride. Mother, father, please be alright, please let this be a false alarm, he pleaded silently, wishing he had seen this coming.

Creed
2013-06-05, 08:59 PM
Krow and Jaden

Krow glances over at the panicked young lord beside him.
"Don't worry, lad. If we were with your uncle, he'd say to take anyone who's behind this alive," a ghost of a grin creeps across his bandaged face, "But if someone is planning on making your family corpses, we're going to make them a corpse," the man says quietly, trying to reassure Jaden as much as he can.

weaveworker89
2013-06-05, 11:32 PM
Krow and Jayden

The guards with you fan out once inside the confines of the keep and start walking around looking for anything... out of the ordinary?

"M'lord Jayden, just what are we looking for?" Asks one of the nearest guardsmen.

Amaril
2013-06-07, 05:02 PM
"Well, possibly nothing--it's my hope that this is a false alarm," Jaden explained to the confused guardsman. However, it is very likely that someone in the castle is in danger. My uncle Gallen, myself, and several of our more capable warriors were called away from here just a short while ago by a commotion down in the village. When we arrived, however, the events that followed gave my uncle reason to suspect that the situation in the village was a diversion, created by someone who wanted the Arch's defenses weakened. I don't know who would be responsible for this any more than you do, unfortunately, but I agree with Gallen that steps should be taken to ensure the castle's safety. Remembering what Gallen had told Krow before they returned to the Arch, Jaden added "and take particular care to ensure the Blackfyre messenger is unharmed. If he were to be attacked in our household, it would no doubt reflect poorly on us."

Creed
2013-06-07, 07:40 PM
Krow

The Ironborn nods at Jaden's assessment, then adds,
"Watch the walls for climbing spikes, unattended wagons parked nearby, that sort of thing."

weaveworker89
2013-06-07, 08:09 PM
Jayden and Krow
"Aye, m'lords. I'll go ensure your father and mother are safe immediately, m'lord."
The guard turns away to start striding towards the main keep, putting his weight on his spear. After a moment he stops walking, then turns on his heel and returns sheepishly. "Would you prefer we rouse the castle or not?"

Amaril
2013-06-07, 08:51 PM
"I think not, for now," Jaden replied. Until we know more about this threat--particularly whether it exists--I think we should avoid the risk of causing needless worry. Unless you would recommend otherwise, Krow--you have more experience with these matters than I do."

Creed
2013-06-07, 09:49 PM
Krow

Balthazar shakes his head,
"I've got little experience with matters of defending castles. If anything, I'd wake the concerned parties, the emissary from Blackfyre, your family, and the like. But no reason to have every stable boy and kitchen wench in the Arch up and about at this hour."

Dienekes
2013-06-07, 11:27 PM
"Unfortunately not," Gallen said as he slid to a seat across from the drunken ax man. "Instead of finding you whores those smelly little ****s attempted to burn down this tavern with you inside. However, if you are still sober enough to use that ax without beheading yourself," Gallen said nodding down to the weapon on the chair. "I may have a proposition for you that at the very least your men will enjoy."

weaveworker89
2013-06-08, 11:32 PM
Krow and Jayden

"Aye, m'lords. We'll gather everyone in the main hall, unless you'd have us do otherwise."

Gallen

"Never to drunk to make use of me boon companion, here." He pets the shaft almost lovingly, big, calloused hands running down the polished wood until he tests the apparently extremely sharp blade on the ball of his thumb.
"And just what kind of proposition would you be making for Tagett and his axe and his Tygers?"
Make an awareness (notice) check

DM

Deception [roll0]

Dienekes
2013-06-09, 05:09 AM
Notice: [roll0]

weaveworker89
2013-06-09, 02:14 PM
Gallen

So far as you can tell, no one really appears to be drunk. As well, the man you're talking to is being deceptive about something.

Dienekes
2013-06-10, 08:30 PM
"I have reason to believe that this house may be in danger, and having an extra group of swords would be beneficial. You and your men would be given a weeks pay for this one nights work, and your standard rate every day after. If we find your work satisfactory we may continue to use your services in our next military engagement. Oh and one more thing, if you accept the proposition after tonight the wine stores of the Arch will be open to you and your men. You will find much more and stronger stuff than some peasant tavern."

Dienekes
2013-06-10, 08:32 PM
Sorry for double post need to roll
Persuasion bargain: [roll0] hopefully with a nice bonus because of this rather sweet deal.

weaveworker89
2013-06-10, 10:07 PM
Gallen

The man takes a sip of wine from the glass in front of him and grimaces in disgust.
"Well that's a damn fine deal. A moon for each of the men and a dragon for me. I'd be a fool to turn it down. But tonight's not the night I was born and it wouldn't be the first time me an' the tygers been ****ed because we took a job without askin' questions. So we'll play your guards or muscle or whatever you need. But this is the last time I ask. Who are you and what claim do you have to speak for the Lord of the Arch?"

Dienekes
2013-06-10, 11:25 PM
"Of course,," Gallen said as he tried to guess the likelihood that these sellswords would be after him, personally. It didn't seem likely.

"My name is Gallen. I'm an adviser to house Tornish."

weaveworker89
2013-06-11, 02:30 AM
Gallen

The big man takes another sip of wine then nods and offers out his hand.
"Well then Gallen, advisor to House Tornish, until dawn me men belong to you. 20 infantry and myself their captain, as well trained as you could hope and mostly sober, within the hour. Just what is it you'll have us doing, m'lord?"
OOC:

It's not a huge deal this time since I'm happy to get the plot moving, but since it looks by your thoughts that you're trying to hire them as a trap, you should probably roll deception for that sort of thing in the future.

weaveworker89
2013-06-14, 12:14 AM
Krow and Jayden

"What is going on here?" Lord Tornish demands of his son when he finally makes an entrance to the hall flanked by the big sellsword.
"This is not how we are to be treated, and it is certainly unwise to send guards about to rest guests from their beds without an explanation. What is the meaning of this?"
Most of the nobles of the household have turned out in simple nightclothes or hastily thrown on court or battle garb. The Blackfyre representative, on the other hand, wears his tabard over a breastplate and quilted padding.

Amaril
2013-06-14, 11:13 AM
"My apologies, father, but I can explain," Jaden replied, bowing his head briefly at his lord's approach. He cleared his throat, then began telling the story again.
"Earlier this evening, uncle Gallen was apparently told by...I think it was Telos, yes--that some commotion had broken out down in the village. Some sellswords had taken over a tavern somehow, and the smallfolk had been threatening to burn them out of the place if they didn't leave. Gallen brought Krow, Blackwood and myself down to the tavern to see about resolving the situation without destroying the building, but when we got there, something that one of the mob had said gave Gallen reason to think that the whole situation might have been created as a diversion, to get the guards away from here. He was concerned for your safety and that of our guests, and sent us back with some of the guards to make sure no-one was in danger. It was Krow's idea to gather everyone of importance here, so that if there was anyone dangerous in the castle, everyone could be more easily protected." Turning to Krow, Jaden asked "have I covered everything?"

Dienekes
2013-06-14, 12:08 PM
"Excellent," Gallen stands up. "The commander of the guard is right outside. Would you please come with me so we can organize the defense before deploying the rest of your men?"

I'm specifically trying to fast talk him into leaving the tavern without the rest of his guard.

Bluff: [roll0]

weaveworker89
2013-06-14, 01:40 PM
Gallen

"Aye, m'lord. We can go do so." The big man stands up and grabs his long axe, shouting out as he walks beside you. "Verryn, get the lads up and armed and sober. We're inside the Arch within the hour."
With that he follows you out, where it seems some smallfolk have been overnthusiastic about your offer of silver. They've brought forward the son of a merchant who has often visited your keep and are presenting them to Blackwood for payment. "By the gods, you'll have patience. Lord Gallen will return momentarily to see the truth of your claim."

Krow and Jayden

"So you gather us together in our nightclothes!" The lord of the Arch turns on Jayden and shakes his head. "Someone bring me my armor! What preparations have you made, aside from gathering all likely targets in one small place? And where in the hells is my brother"

Amaril
2013-06-14, 01:54 PM
"Still in the village, I'm afraid," Jaden replied nervously, fidgeting under his father's disapproval. "He didn't mention what exactly he was doing, but I imagine he's still trying to keep the smallfolk from burning down the tavern."
Why is he angry with me for gathering everyone in one place? he wondered. I just told him it was Krow who suggested that! Despite his frustration, he restrained himself from commenting on this--there were more important things to worry about.
"What guards aren't here or in the village with Gallen are checking the walls for any sign of intrusion--climbing spikes and the like."

Creed
2013-06-14, 02:16 PM
Krow

Krow sighs and steps forward.
"M'lord, you'd be wise to direct your fury appropriately. I instructed the guards to rally everyone here, not your son. Frankly, I find it hard to keep people alive when they're flung about the castle like seed before hens, and, quite simply, I'm confident in my ability to protect you and yours from whatever it is we're up against, as long as I have a fair fight," Krow stands between Jayden and Lord Tornish, crossing his arms and staring at the lord in front of him.

weaveworker89
2013-06-14, 04:21 PM
Krow and Jayden

As the Lord of the Arch straps himself into a breastplate and buckles a swordbelt about his waist, he glares at the big mercenary.
"I suppose I should've suspected this abruptness and lack of thought would not stem from my son alone. You counseled this folly, then the safety of every person in this room hangs on your head. Jayden, as you are here and have raised half the castle, I woul have you greet Joren Redhall, representative and standard bearer for Aerys's son" the dismissive distaste he puts into the title of the legitimized bastard makes the lord's opinion clear, "Daemon Blackfyre. He wished to speak to as many of our house as he could, so pick a corner and speak." He smiles at his son, the older man's one small allowance as apology before returning to business. "Krow, how have you distributed my guards? Though those here are most precious to me, I'll see none of my people harmed."

Creed
2013-06-14, 04:43 PM
Krow

"Those who roused the key figures of the household should be here, but with you awake, they are under your command."

Dienekes
2013-06-16, 08:38 PM
Gallen shook his head in exasperation. "Bloody, idiot peasants," he mutters under his breath as he approaches, though he is silently thankful a few have remained. "Blackwood," he said as he continued to walk, leading the mercenary amidst the archer and the remaining guards. "This is the leader of the mercenary band currently holding within the inn. Everyone follow me," he says to the guards and starts to walk toward the castle.

weaveworker89
2013-06-17, 02:44 AM
Krow

"And that would be why I need to know what you've already secured."

Gallen

The big sellsword roars out as he follows you, the four smallfolk trailing in the wake of the better armed group.
"You heard the new boss, lads! Castle, now. On your feet."
You can hear the scraping of benches and the pound of boots marching immediately after the sellsword's yell, but by the time the door is opened your determined group has covered enough ground to give you a lead.
OOC: Archer?

Creed
2013-06-17, 09:13 PM
Krow

"I only instructed them to come here and patrol the walls for anything peculiar nearby, my lord."

weaveworker89
2013-06-18, 04:01 AM
Krow

"Go guard the door. No man enters this hall armed, not even mine own. As guardsmen report in organise a proper search of the keep. And someone send for the singer. I would have us entertained until such time as we may rest safe."

Creed
2013-06-19, 11:32 PM
Krow

The Ironborn nods, and heads to the door, standing guard.

Synvallius
2013-06-21, 09:32 PM
Charles
Charles follows Gallen up to the castle, glancing contemptfully at the loutish mercenary captain that is now their "ally." He also is curious to learn more about the merchant's son that the villagers brought forward, but since he decided that whatever information the man might have would be too important for Gallen not to hear first, he had not yet indulged his curiosity by questioning him. As the group continued up toward the castle, Charles asks the mercenary captain, "So, what is your sellsword band called?"

weaveworker89
2013-06-24, 12:10 AM
Gallen and Blackwood

The big man struts his way behind the bustling Gallen Tornish and swings his axe in an easy manner. To the knight's question he stares for a moment at the smaller man, then answers brusquely.
"Me lads are the Tygers. Braver and more disciplined sellswords you'll not find on either side of the narrow sea, nor from dorne to the neck."

Krow

A trio of guardsmen approach Krow and nod to him carefully.
"Here to report, m'lord. Two trips around the walls and nothing found so far, neither grapnel nor ladder."

Creed
2013-06-24, 08:27 PM
Krow

"Your lord would have you search the building proper, room by room, for any armed men that aren't our own. Check back in here if you find anything."