PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Mouthpick weapons and adding Str modifier multiple times

Uncle Pine
2013-05-14, 10:03 AM
Mouthpick is a weapon property. If you have a natural bite attack, you can wield a mouthpick weapon in your mouth, gaining iteratives as normal. You also gain automatical proficiency with a mouthpick weapon. No problem here.
However, the fact that you can use your mouth to wield the weapon doesn't mean you can't use your hand at all. Assuming you are a creature with at least one bite attack and a single hand/prehensile tail, could you wield a mouthpick weapon with both your mouth and your hand(s), gaining an additional +0.5 Str bonus to damage for each additional hand, as described in Savage Species?

Jeff the Green
2013-05-14, 10:10 AM
Probably not. Savage Species says you only get the +0.5 Strength/hand if the weapon is designed to be wielded with more than two hands, and since the mouthpick weapon's hilt morphs to fit your mouth, it presumably isn't designed to be wielded with any hands.

Coidzor
2013-05-14, 12:23 PM
I'd see more potential in getting the 1.5xStr for the mouthpick weapon and a 1.5xStr for a two-handed weapon being wielded in both of one's hands. That goes into the problems of TWF though...

Uncle Pine
2013-05-14, 12:40 PM
I'd see more potential in getting the 1.5xStr for the mouthpick weapon and a 1.5xStr for a two-handed weapon being wielded in both of one's hands. That goes into the problems of TWF though...

Definitely true, but the idea of a big stupid monster that wield an immense weapon with both his mouth and his hands is really cool and I want to know if I can do such a thing.

Probably not. Savage Species says you only get the +0.5 Strength/hand if the weapon is designed to be wielded with more than two hands, and since the mouthpick weapon's hilt morphs to fit your mouth, it presumably isn't designed to be wielded with any hands.

Mouthpick is a special properties, so you apply it on a weapon after you created it. For example, I don't see why you couldn't design a weapon with a long handle and a big pommel and then use it as normal while wielding it with your mouth as well.