PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] ways to defend against trip..

animewatcha
2013-05-14, 12:19 PM
Group doesn't use ToB. What methods are there to defend against a large tripping bonus. I am trying to keep the half-mino and half-ogre templates from being increased in LA or restricted. What happened was I made a tripping ( disarming secondary ) focused character. Using martial monk variant of dragon 310 to help me with doing the broken fist masteries of dragon 309. Tripping weapon being the meteor hammer and rope dart of 319. These are 15-foot reach medium ( 30 if large ) weapon that trade a bit of weapon damage for more reach. Resulting large str + tripping counting as Huge + scaling bonus to tripping.

I asked him repeatedly if he wanted me to pull my half-mino and he said no until we hit the city ( reason being Big Bad Boss ). He also said he would have to give further scrutiny to the mino and ogre templates.

So yes, what things are there to defend against trip besides flying a la beholder and a la fly spell.

-sidenote- also have to convince him on case-by-case basis to not ban everything from OA.

Jeff the Green
2013-05-14, 12:23 PM
Size, stability (dwarf or multiple sets of legs), and the ability to stand as a swift action without provoking AoOs, off the top of my head.

Techwarrior
2013-05-14, 12:25 PM
Combat Focus, Combat Defenses, and 1 more Combat Form feat (Player's Handbook 2) gets you a +8 to defending against all combat maneuvers.

Anything that gives a bonus to opposed Str or Dex checks would help.

hydraa
2013-05-14, 12:59 PM
You could fight from a prone position and probably be immune from tripping.

animewatcha
2013-05-14, 01:05 PM
Thank you hydra and tech.

To put it into perspective for jeff. If Big Bad ( or similar mobs that the DM doesn't want one-rounded ) gets knocked prone, everyone IS going to pounce ( figuratively not the class ability ) and fight ends much earlier than planned.

Crake
2013-05-14, 02:21 PM
Thank you hydra and tech.

To put it into perspective for jeff. If Big Bad ( or similar mobs that the DM doesn't want one-rounded ) gets knocked prone, everyone IS going to pounce ( figuratively not the class ability ) and fight ends much earlier than planned.

Illusions to make it harder to hit him? Mirror Image, Displacement, Invisibility, those kinds of things

Techwarrior
2013-05-14, 02:27 PM
Lightning Reflexes -> Prone Fighting (Complete Warrior I believe)

You now just don't care about fighting from the ground.