PDA

View Full Version : Necromancer Cherry Popped!

Vaz
2013-05-14, 01:27 PM
So, I've taken the plunge into a campaign, and decided to play a Dread Necromancer; the campaign starts at level 8, and I'm looking for a couple of ways to increase its potential, as it's apparently an 8th level class. What Prestige Classes should I go for? (Looking for no more than 1-2 levels to start off with, please!).

I've decided I want to make my risen Undead as powerful as possible; is there a maximum HD limit of Animated Undead (outside of the (4+Cha)HD/Level?) that I need to be aware of? Is there any way to increase this further?

I might come back with more questions, but these are the ones I could come up with at the moment.

dascarletm
2013-05-14, 01:56 PM
So, I've taken the plunge into a campaign, and decided to play a Dread Necromancer; the campaign starts at level 8, and I'm looking for a couple of ways to increase its potential, as it's apparently an 8th level class. What Prestige Classes should I go for? (Looking for no more than 1-2 levels to start off with, please!).

I've decided I want to make my risen Undead as powerful as possible; is there a maximum HD limit of Animated Undead (outside of the (4+Cha)HD/Level?) that I need to be aware of? Is there any way to increase this further?

I might come back with more questions, but these are the ones I could come up with at the moment.

There is a rod in Libris Mortus that increases your Animate Undead control. Look at K's necromancy handbook for more info.

Palemaster loses you a casting level but gives you free animate dead 1/day.

JoshuaZ
2013-05-14, 02:06 PM

Some handbooks claim it is an 8th level class, but this is only true if one isn't interested in maximizing how many hit die of undead you can control.

dascarletm
2013-05-14, 02:09 PM
Some handbooks claim it is an 8th level class, but this is only true if one isn't interested in maximizing how many hit die of undead you can control.

As long as you keep caster levels, you should be fine. It is (CL+Cha)x4?

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-05-14, 03:23 PM
As long as you keep caster levels, you should be fine. It is (CL+Cha)x4?

No, it is (Class Level + Cha) x 4. No Dread Necro class levels, no multiplier.

But honestly, that's not the trap, you're already going to have far more undead HD cap than any dozen regular clerics. It's the Advanced Learning.

Animate Dread Warrior and Animate Skeletal Champion from UE. Basically, you make a zombie/skeleton... retaining all training, all levels, all feats. GM throws an Ubercharger at you? Now you have an even more dangerous Ubercharger as your pet.

Aura of Terror. That Fear Aura you get at 5th level is a joke... until this spell comes online. It goes from 'mostly worthless minor debuff' to 'everything within 15' is cowering without needing to take an action'. The Dread Witch PrC also helps with this by bypassing immunities.

These are 6th level spells. Meaning you need to be CL 12 to get access to them. And you'll need Advanced Learning to get them. Meaning at CL 12, it is entirely in your favor to be Dread Necro 8 or 12. And if you want another one, you'll have to go another four levels into Dread Necro to get it.

Plus, you get a free +4 LA Template out of going straight DN 20. What's not to like about that?

Suddo
2013-05-14, 08:48 PM
Plus, you get a free +4 LA Template out of going straight DN 20. What's not to like about that?

Assuming you go by RAI instead of RAW. Because this is one of those times RAW is beyond stupid.

Sith_Happens
2013-05-14, 10:09 PM
Assuming you go by RAI instead of RAW. Because this is one of those times RAW is beyond stupid.

Depends on whether you interpret the specific benefits specified by the class feature to preclude the other, implied effects of the sentence "You become a lich."

Coidzor
2013-05-15, 11:41 AM
Animate Dread Warrior and Animate Skeletal Champion from UE.

I'm familiar with the former, but I haven't heard of the latter before and google keeps giving me discussions of the Pathfinder creature. Got a page ref for that?