PDA

View Full Version : [Legend] SRD

Razanir
2013-05-14, 02:12 PM
System Reference Documents. We're all familiar with them. I'm sure we've all visited d20srd.org and d20pfsrd.com plenty of times. (Okay, I know the PF one isn't the official one, but I prefer this one)

Is there anything like these for Legend RPG (by Rule of Cool)? If so, where? If not, do you think it'd be worthwhile to try to make one?

stack
2013-05-14, 02:34 PM
Since 1.0 is not released yet (http://www.ruleofcool.com/) it would be fairly pointless. I think such a thing might be in the works for once it is released though. There isn't so much content yet that scrolling through the free pdf is too onerous, though that will change as more content is released.

afroakuma
2013-05-14, 02:43 PM
At the moment it probably won't be necessary; the 1.0 release is said to be coming out pretty soon now (the hour is near, the number is prime!) and the .pdf is hyperlinked so that you can navigate quickly from the Table of Contents. There is a forum, though, for collaborating with others (ruleofcool.com/smf) and that might be a good place to discuss this topic.

Artillery
2013-05-14, 03:35 PM
You can also check out their irc channel. They will answer any questions you might have. There irc is at.

irc.gamesurge.net
The channel is #legend

Renen
2013-05-14, 04:43 PM
I keep hearing about this legend game. I am not sure if the released any playable stuff (like D&D Next), if so, can anyone tell me if its any good so perhaps I can give it a try?

Flickerdart
2013-05-14, 04:44 PM
I keep hearing about this legend game. I am not sure if the released any playable stuff (like D&D Next), if so, can anyone tell me if its any good so perhaps I can give it a try?
The most up to date typeset rules are available here (https://s3.amazonaws.com/det_1/Legend.pdf).

The Boz
2013-05-14, 05:12 PM
How playable is it? I'd like to give it a shot, if it's playable-ish.

Renen
2013-05-14, 05:20 PM
I looked over the file briefly, but w/o in depth look, it looks similar to D&D 3.5.

Razanir
2013-05-14, 05:53 PM
I looked over the file briefly, but w/o in depth look, it looks similar to D&D 3.5.

Apparently it started as 3.5 houserules on these very forums. It's pretty much 3.5 with an altered class system, simplified skills, and simplified flight rules

stack
2013-05-14, 08:24 PM
It is quite playable (make sure to check the extras for some additional rules like skill games and mook building). It will be familiar to 3.x players, but the changes are deep and wide so double check things.

Once you understand the track system you'll be in good shape though. The power curve is very different, as are many basic assumptions. For example, infinite out of combat healing is basically assumed. Fights and traps that only exist for the attrition of resources are mostly gone; every fight should be meaningful in and of itself. Weak feats are gone, as are most feat-taxes. Weapons are more generic, you can assemble whatever you want from the existing properties; two weapon/two handed/sword&board styles only exist as fluff, not crunch.

Flickerdart
2013-05-14, 10:17 PM
How playable is it? I'd like to give it a shot, if it's playable-ish.
It's fully playable; the upcoming 1.0 finalization of the rules is mostly clarification of existing rules and introduction of new stuff.

Just to Browse
2013-05-15, 12:58 AM
I refresh that webpage almost once a day. Summer can't come fast enough...

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-05-15, 04:56 AM
Legend is, indeed, very playable.

The magic system was overhauled big time. No more polycheese or breakage of the action economy. You've still got a few 'save or screwed' type spells, but DC stacking has been eliminated, and most classes can save-stack pretty well, so they're actually rather dicey. There's a few ways to replace the save with an attack roll, but Touch AC also got an eviction notice, attack bonus stacking got the same eviction notice, so it isn't a whole lot better of a deal.

Meaning that Magic can't solve everything anymore. There's only two actual 'caster' tracks, and their spell lists are severely neutered compared to what any of the Tier 1 or Tier 2 classes could manage.

Then, Melee Got Nice Things. First off, a full attack is a standard action, so basically everyone got Pounce for free. Second, anyone can get Flight by level 6, or they aren't trying very hard. Heck, by level 6, you can get short-range teleportation as a melee class (actually, as anyone, it's a feat chain). Which means they can actually apply it. And without spells like Foresight or Nerveskitter, there's a decent chance he'll be going first. And without spells like Mirror Image, Contingency, or Celerity... you don't have 'perfect defenses' to shug him off with either.

And there's a whole BUNCH of tracks which focus on spell-like abilities of various sorts, which are all rather interesting in their own way. A lot of these abilities function at-will, so think Warlock, but actually mechanically useful abilities which are inherently flexible.

In other words, combat got a lot different. And a hell of a lot more fun.