PDA

View Full Version : Help With A Computer Problem?

alchemyprime
2013-05-14, 03:27 PM
Why do I keep coming to a gaming message board with this?

Anyway, we finally upgraded my mother from her old desktop (2GB Ram, Windows XP, from 2004) to a brand new Acer that runs Windows 7 (4GB RAM, Processor can have 2.1gHZ now, bigger hard drive, etc). However, we've run into a slight problem.

The power went out and now it can't load Windows. And there was never a backup made.

Anyone have an ideas on how to solve this?

DeusMortuusEst
2013-05-14, 03:32 PM
More info needed. Where does it stop? Can you get into BIOS? Does it look like it tries to start Windows at all?

alchemyprime
2013-05-14, 03:46 PM
More info needed. Where does it stop? Can you get into BIOS? Does it look like it tries to start Windows at all?

It goes into the System Recovery thing automatically, tries to find a backup, then gives you a button that says Exit. It then tries to load Windows and restarts.

I can't get into the BIOS at all. :smallfrown:

Grinner
2013-05-14, 06:25 PM
Well, it's passing its POST, so that's a good sign...

Do you have the a recovery or installation disc? You might be able to fix it with a repair install.

alchemyprime
2013-05-14, 06:34 PM
Well, it's passing its POST, so that's a good sign...

Do you have the a recovery or installation disc? You might be able to fix it with a repair install.

We... sadly don't. :smallfrown:

Grinner
2013-05-14, 07:50 PM
What happens when you try to bring up the BIOS? Are you absolutely sure you're pressing the right key?

alchemyprime
2013-05-14, 10:17 PM
What happens when you try to bring up the BIOS? Are you absolutely sure you're pressing the right key?

I've tried what it says to use (CTRL+F) as well as what my instincts told me (F1 like on my dad's or F8 like on mine) and it never lets me access the BIOS or even a Setup menu. Nothing.

Grinner
2013-05-14, 10:43 PM
That system recovery menu usually comes up whenever Windows is shut down improperly (i.e. power outage). If you can't boot Windows normally, then Windows was probably interrupted while it was in the middle of something important.

There should be an option for booting into safe mode, and I could have sworn there was a repair option of some kind. Try safe mode just to see if you can get into it. If that doesn't work and a repair option can't be found, a clean reinstallation will probably be needed. In the last case, you might be able to talk to tech support to see if they can get you a recovery disc.

If all else fails, it may be time to consider the wonderful world of Linux or pony up $100 for a Windows license... :smallfrown:

alchemyprime
2013-05-14, 11:26 PM
That system recovery menu usually comes up whenever Windows is shut down improperly (i.e. power outage). If you can't boot Windows normally, then Windows was probably interrupted while it was in the middle of something important.

There should be an option for booting into safe mode, and I could have sworn there was a repair option of some kind. Try safe mode just to see if you can get into it. If that doesn't work and a repair option can't be found, a clean reinstallation will probably be needed. In the last case, you might be able to talk to tech support to see if they can get you a recovery disc.

If all else fails, it may be time to consider the wonderful world of Linux or pony up $100 for a Windows license... :smallfrown:

Step-dad is going to take it to someone with a bit more expertise than myself.

Sadly, safe mode was never an option for her computer - the other two WIndows 7 computers have it, but hers does not for some reason. Hence why I came here right away.

If he can't fix it, I'm going to try to wipe it and make it a LinuxMint machine. It'll be easier for my mom than Ubuntu.

Archonic Energy
2013-05-15, 03:51 AM
You could install the disc to a seperate PC to recover any files you need/want then clean wipe and re-install.

your licence key should be attached to the PC somewhere.

nedz
2013-05-15, 05:47 AM
You could try reinstalling Windows over the top of the previous one. It might at least tell you what's wrong.

KuReshtin
2013-05-15, 06:34 AM
If it's a brand new laptop, you should be able to contact Acer to have them send you a new recovery Cd to be able to reinstall Windows.
They are required to have them available forcustomers with machines still under warranty to be able to reset their systems, for instance in the case of a hard disk crash.

Erloas
2013-05-15, 08:57 AM
I think most of the major OEMs now put the "backup CD" on a secondary partition of your hard drive. Not exactly sure how you recover from it, but that is where it is located.

Also, if you have other backup Windows 7 CDs, you should be able to use them even if they are for another machine. The CD key you need should be printed on a sticker on the laptop and the only machine specific information that is probably on the backup CD is drivers and you can just download updated drivers online once you get it going (Windows has enough built-in drivers to boot on almost anything any more).

KuReshtin
2013-05-16, 05:29 AM
To acces the recovery partition on a laptop, it's usually F10 or F11 or similar during the POST splash screen, however, if that doesn't work, then contacting Acer for a recovery CD should still work.
Just be sure to tell them that you can't access the recovery partition and you need to perform a full recovery, and they should send a CD out to you.