PDA

View Full Version : I registered to say... congratulations Mr Burlew!

VanFanel
2013-05-14, 03:47 PM
(:elan: Praise, praise, praise the excellent webcomic! Apologize, apologize, apologize in advance for a less-than-perfect English!)

I stumbled upon OOTS some years ago (out-of-comic years, Oracle fans!). I don't remember the first page I read, maybe I followed a link to the "Greg Initiative" from a Lost fansite? Or maybe "A Gallehault indeed" was Redcloak's lampshade linked from TvTropes? Of course, those strips made little or no sense to me as I did not know the whole story.
Unfortunately, I have a very poor D&D knowledge so when I tried to read the webcomic from strip 1 I did not understand the jokes. Forgive me, I only played OD&D (not even AD&D, there were just 3 alignments IIRC) three or four times many years ago, I also played a few videogames (Hillsfar, Dragons of Flame, Eye of the Beholder II and Baldur's Gate I. Consider that, when I first played Hillsfar, my English was sooooo baaaaad that I misinterpreted "alignment" as something related to food or magical energy source).
Back to Strip 1, "New Edition", I was so dumb that I did not understand that it was an "In medias res" beginning, I mistook it for the beginning of the "second season" of a webcomic where the first part was nowhere to be found. So I forgot about it. Shame on me!
Then, after some time, I decided to give it another try, I don't remember exactly when and why, probably a voice sang in my head "Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy this funny story!".
So I started reading the whole comic from strip 1.
And! I! Could! Not! Stop!
It took time for me to catch up, sometimes I rushed, sometimes I went more slowly, and sometimes I "archive binged" again, then at last I got to "current strip" (which was the "current strip" at that time? I don't remember, maybe before, during or after the arena fight?). Then I checked for new strips every now and then; at least I decided to register to the forum. I'm sorry for Sir Thumb and I'm glad you're recovering. I haven't bought any of your books yet, but if some day, when the story is over, you publish "Order of the Stick The Complete Collection", I'll surely purchase it! (Well, I first have to persuade my wife, she doesn't like OOTS and in the matter of Team Family budget I'm Redcloak and she's Xykon).
Just kidding!

Or was I ?
She doesn't even like the OOTS fridge magnets, and she LOVES, WORSHIPS and ADORES any kind of fridge magnet! As V would say: "Damnations!"

While reading OOTS, I felt sad I had not discovered such long-running webcomic before. It's really funny, fascinating, enchanting.
My D&D ignorance turned out to be an obstacle at some points: it's the problem with the stuff that Italian screenwriter Vincenzo Cerami calls "extratext", something which is not in the text but is implied, the reader must already know it and "decode" it. Luckily there are the SDR website and the OOTS Wikia that helped me to understand many jokes and game mechanics (oh, BTW, THANKS to anyone who wrote the wikia pages that translate Haley's cryptograms!) And still I probably missed a lot of other jokes and puns due to my abysmal English and poor knowledge of English-speaking pop culture.
But the overarching story is very good and entertaining independently from the D&D details.
You also improved my English as I learnt words I did not know such as "snarl" or "ruse"; furthermore you also forced me to "think in English", as my sister's English teacher used to say, because many jokes and puns are absolutely untranslatable in Italian, my native language.

I love OOTS because it can be amusing and dramatic as well. I like how you developed the characters, at first they were just flat parodies of RPG stereotypes, now they have fully-fledged personalities... and nevertheless they still manage to parody their own stereotypes! I like the humour (when I get the jokes or course!), I like the pop culture references (when I understand them!), I like the breakings of the fourth wall, I like how the story evolved from one-D&D-gag-a-day to the current complex plot. I like when you surprise me with twists I didn't see coming: I suspect you can do Sneak Attacks like Haley or utter the Power Word Stun like V!
I like the art, you cure for details, I find amazing how you manage to make charachters expressive, sometimes you make me forget that they're just stick figures.
My favourite parts? It's difficult to say. I rejoice the times when Elan (in spite of his low Int score and high naivety) "wins" against his "Wile E. Coyote"-ish evil twin, with puns, genre savvyness and the ability to jump unscratched throught windows; before the end of comic I do hope to see Elan use his bard skills effectively (and without V's advice such in the celestial lion scene). Tarquin is right, bards should rule the world!
Arcs that I liked in especially are also: the epic Battle of Azure City; the Oracle using precog powers to take his revenge on Belkar and the "on acid" dialogue between the halfling and Lord Shojo; the Darth V arc; the special bond between MITD and O-Chul (and the Darth V and O-Chul arcs colliding). These are random thoughts, not in order of importance, I don't mean that the other parts are no good, they are very good indeed!
Of course, there also some parts that I don't like, but that's normal, we know that no author can satisfy "all the people all the time", don't we? And by reading some forum comments I guess your audience can be very picky sometimes :P
But details are easily forgotten and I think you are a great storyteller.
So, Rich, thank you very much for creating OOTS and for sharing it with us.

Ok, and now, after my "Kudos, Giant!" post I can start nitpicking just like any other forum user...

Just kidding!

Or was I ?

I don't like the font size in speech balloons, which got smaller and smaller over time, yes I know I can zoom the strips, but the more I zoom, the more they blur - Cue to some crime-tv-serie absurd tech guy typing frantically and randomly and saying "I'm enhancing the zoomed picture!.
I don't like all strips where I don't get the jokes but, as I said, it's probably my fault (it happens also with other works such as "The Simpsons")

I don't like... some strips that surely other people already said they don't like, in threads such as "Best and worst strip(s)" and "If you were going to rewrite part of the comic what would you change?", and it would be pointless to repeat them over and over again.

There are also other thing I did not like but at the moment I don't remember them, and the very fact I don't remember them means they are not so important after all!

Believe it or not, I HATE one thing that I mentioned as a GOOD thing: the "think in English" one. Since most jokes are untranslatable in my native language, I'm sad that an Italian edition of OOTS will probably never ever exist because it would not be as funny (I realized that, when I watch Italian dubs of English-speaking tv series, cartoons or live-action, sometimes there are jokes that I get only when I manage to cast "Quickened Re-translate The Italian Dub To English" in my mind).

I hate the fact that I'll probably never be able to comment your strips as soon as you publish them, I was about to write something about 886, and I was thinking "Well, there already N thousand pages of comments, I risk saying something that someone else already said before..." and then suddenly 887 pops out, and there are already N hundred pages of comments! noooooo!
BTW, wonderful swirling layout, even my wife liked it when I showed her, even if she does not like OOTS)

p.s. Thanks to all forum user who created and maintain the Index of Giant Comments, the Geek thread, the MitD thread and so on, so I won't ask questions that have already been answered.

Shivore
2013-05-14, 04:19 PM
The thread starter deserves a big round of applause for starting this thread I think. I've been very troubled by the most recent rounds of nasty on the forums, and been a bit fearful of how this plus the pressure of the Kickstarter and affects of the thumb injury might weigh on Rich. I don't know if there really is more nasty here now, or if I'm just seeing it more now, but it's not good.

I don't have as much to write about my love for OOTS, but I can say it is my favorite webcomic and the only webcomic that my wife likes to read. I can't remember when I first started reading (I think it was around 680'ish). I love this comic and have read it through at least a half dozen times from comic 1 through to the current, and I look forward to completing my book collection once I get the funds. (At least I've got prequels, Snips, and up through NCftPBs)

I love your work Rich, and love that you work on this so much in spite of the difficulties and the complainers. I know as an artist myself one of the hardest things to do is to charge enough for what you create, please make sure you're being fairly compensated for all the work you do. I know I for one would love to support you more.

Ninja
2013-05-14, 04:35 PM
I shall join in and say:

Thank you, Mr. Burlew, for creating the OOTS universe, and filling it with such amazing characters and stories. Without you, my life would be a little duller, and I would have never developed an interest in D&D. So once again, thank you.

Fishnet
2013-05-14, 04:51 PM
I'm with these guys -- let's remember the good things that brought us all here (unless you came just to troll and assert your "intellect" - shame on you!).

Rather than a lengthy paragraph, I'll stick to a few short bullet points
*friends introduced me to this comic after I'd just transferred colleges, and as long-time 3rd edition player I fell in love.
*Rich is one of the few authors I know who is truly loyal to the "character-driven" narrative structure, which makes sense given that this comic came out of a role-playing hobby. To me, this makes OOTS is an example of fantastic DMing.
*I got my whole family into the comic after I bought the books. They are all very different people from me, so this says a lot about the comic's wider appeal.

Keep doing what you're doing, Rich. I'm rooting for you.

And the Italian. I'm rooting for him, too

colanderman
2013-05-14, 10:53 PM
Beside that it's refreshing to see such a positive comment after what seems like a week of negativity…

I don't like the font size in speech balloons, which got smaller and smaller over time, yes I know I can zoom the strips, but the more I zoom, the more they blur - Cue to some crime-tv-serie absurd tech guy typing frantically and randomly and saying "I'm enhancing the zoomed picture!.

My secret wish is that – after OotS is finished! – Rich (either personally or with help to automate it) re-renders all the strips in SVG format, rather than the GIF format in which they are currently published. (Assuming he has kept the Illustrator sources!)

Beside that this would enhance the clarity of text and small features, it would greatly improve the image quality of the many strips with lots of colors, which the GIF format forces to be rendered with *ugly* dithered patterns.

I've no doubt that OotS will be remembered for decades as one of the best webcomics in the "golden age of webcomics", and it would be a shame not to see its beautiful art preserved in a high-fidelity format.

Slayer Lord
2013-05-14, 11:41 PM
I've only been reading OotS for two years or so now, but I was first introduced to Mr. Burlew's work with his guest comic on 8-Bit Theater years and years ago. I feel ashamed for having waited so long to look more into this, because it's such a fantastically written work and easily one of the most well crafted webcomics I've ever seen.
As an aspiring writer, Rich is an inspiration to those of us dedicated to character-driven epics. He's original, he's inventive, and he's created all of these characters that you can't help but care about. Though I'm not a comic writer, I can only hope to be able to write like him; and following the adventures of the Kickstarter fund have only increased my admiration. Rich is not only a great writer, but an honest man who puts his fans first.

Thank you for enhancing the lives of so many people, Rich.

Sunken Valley
2013-05-15, 05:41 AM
I found your post really funny. It made me laugh.

Just Kidding!
Or Was I?I wasn't just kidding It was funny

Newwby
2013-05-15, 10:18 AM
Agreed with all the warm sentiment above. I'm an avid webcomic reader and OotS rocketed to become my favourite I think less than two days after I first discovered it! Not even that long ago - during the LG's fight with the Order in the pyramid! I can't stop myself from checking for new updates every day, whenever I find one I gleefully announce it to my partner before I even begin to read, it's such a fantastic moment I feel obliged to share it.

This is the first time I've registered to a forum in eight years, simply because I've become so vested in the community spirit that accompanies Rich's fantastic work.

Tl;dr = Love OotS.

Fridolin
2013-05-15, 10:32 AM
As we are already bathing in congratulations from non-native-english-speakers, I shall join as well:

Congratulations on a very nice piece of art (read: the whole comic) from a fellow GM.
I like a lot how Mr. Burlew is using the fact that there are no PC's for telling a very nice story (sooo much more difficult with PC's, yet possible), which is avoiding nicely the usual pitfalls (especially considering that it's about epic world saving) to come up with a story that is actually worth reading and following.

I got reminded of my own sessions regular, as well as getting a whole lot of ideas for future campaigns or adventures... :amused:

Jan Mattys
2013-05-15, 10:42 AM
Praising stuff

Want to REALLY start worshipping The Giant?
Read Start of Darkness (http://www.giantitp.com/GIPOTS99.html). You will totally undeniably LOVE it.

Really, it's THAT good.
And the sweetest thing of all is that it acts as a multiplier: once you read Start of Darkness, EVERY strip in the comic you read so far gets instantly better.

Belkar<3
2013-05-15, 10:50 AM
What a post, and funny too. OOTS was so good when I started that I read 400 strips in one day, and finished it the next (I joined when Rich was injured and strip #866 was on.) What a great comic, I honestly can't see how people can complain.

VanFanel
2013-05-15, 11:55 AM
:smallsmile:

@Shivore and Fishnet: I envy you and other reader that involved their families, like Crusher (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282351). My kids, about 7 and 4, are too young now, but one day... (Nowadays children begin studying some English in 1st grade!)
@Sunken Valley: ROTFLMAO!
@Jan Mattys: I will, some day I will, unfortunately I've already read many spoilers here and there, shame on me!

sims796
2013-05-15, 08:24 PM
Shame Rich doesn't reply more to these types of threads.

oppyu
2013-05-15, 09:13 PM
What's he going to say? "Um... Thanks? That was very effusive... I'm going to shuffle off awkwardly now." Criticism is much easier to respond to than adoration and adulation.

Fishnet
2013-05-15, 10:54 PM
(Nowadays children begin studying some English in 1st grade!)

My reply here is a bit of non-sequitor, but this little tidbit made me sigh. If only secondary languages were taught so early (and so well) here in the U.S. I speak bits of Polish and French thanks to family and graduate school respectively, but I doubt anything I write in those languages would be half as lucid or moving as what VanFanel posted up there.

It's funny to me how English in 2013 is like Common in DnD. I mean, how did Durkon or Vaarsuvius or Belkar even learn common?

VanIsleKnight
2013-05-15, 10:58 PM
I continue to love Order of the Stick, it's in my top 3 webcomics that I enjoy, and I'm looking forward to it's continuation ^.^

sims796
2013-05-16, 07:15 AM
What's he going to say? "Um... Thanks? That was very effusive... I'm going to shuffle off awkwardly now." Criticism is much easier to respond to than adoration and adulation.

Ah, so you consider the strings of what he's been responding to as "criticism", eh?

Posts like this aren't very common, and he has expressed a dislike of the type of criticism that is levied at him in many of his responses.

Besides, it isn't anywhere near that difficult to express gratitude over these types of posts, not that it's necessary. "Thanks for the posts, I find it uplifting" is a quick example of how quick you can respond to them. Not that he's under any sort of obligation, mind you, it'll just be nice to see how he takes these posts.

This forum has turned into (or always been, I dunno) a hive of criticism. Most of it is healthy, quite a bit is not. I'd love to see his reaction to these types of posts. Unless, as you put it, he finds this level of praise "awkward" for some reason. Then we can go back to the mindless nitpicking and whining over how we didn't get a comic strip immediately, since those must be "much easier to respond too":smalltongue:.

Oh, and basic level health advice. Gotta love those.

Tev
2013-05-16, 08:02 AM
Ah, so you consider the strings of what he's been responding to as "criticism", eh?

Posts like this aren't very common, and he has expressed a dislike of the type of criticism that is levied at him in many of his responses.

Besides, it isn't anywhere near that difficult to express gratitude over these types of posts, not that it's necessary. "Thanks for the posts, I find it uplifting" is a quick example of how quick you can respond to them. Not that he's under any sort of obligation, mind you, it'll just be nice to see how he takes these posts.

This forum has turned into (or always been, I dunno) a hive of criticism. Most of it is healthy, quite a bit is not. I'd love to see his reaction to these types of posts. Unless, as you put it, he finds this level of praise "awkward" for some reason. Then we can go back to the mindless nitpicking and whining over how we didn't get a comic strip immediately, since those must be "much easier to respond too":smalltongue:.

Oh, and basic level health advice. Gotta love those.

Oh yeah, see example: your post.

I'm actually surprised by amount of time Rich (obviously) spends by reading the forums . . . and even that is doing way more than we could as fans hope for.

So +1 to OP in thanking Rich for OotS, when looking back at it all it's amazing how much and how well he has done, for free!

but that OP is seriously tl;dr

GrimmSpoon
2013-05-16, 09:34 AM
I just found this web comic yesterday because someone linked to it in the kingdomofloathing chat.

I like it.

I now know what the next few days will be like here at work.

But, can someone here verify for me that the Happy Ending isnt actually the end of the comic?

Grimmy
has a lot to catch up on.

EmperorSarda
2013-05-16, 09:36 AM
But, can someone here verify for me that the Happy Ending isnt actually the end of the comic?

Look at the comic previous to this one, #886. It's a illusion, not real. This isn't an ending at all.

VanFanel
2013-05-16, 11:54 AM

No problem, as long as he reads them ;) It's enough for me.

Faldrath
2013-05-16, 12:43 PM
I don't post here often either, although I have been following the comic since strip 80 or so, I own all the books, and I mostly lurk in the forums.

But given the current wave of negativity, I thought I'd add my own little voice of support for Rich. I do genuinely feel that OotS is sort of a landmark for webcomics, especially when it comes to narrative quality. I already proudly place the books alongside all my favorite fantasy authors.

Keep up the amazing work :smallbiggrin:

misterk
2013-05-16, 12:54 PM
I hadn't checked the forums in such a while and this last week I've been reading some of the comments, and there's such negativity it makes me despair. The majority of readers, I suspect, don't come online to post negative comments, but wait patiently for updates, and are extremely happy when they come along. Order of the Stick is a terrific piece of work, and long may it continue.

Lord Torath
2013-05-16, 01:59 PM
I like following The Index of the Giant's Comments (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220195), and lately it seems all his recent comments are responding to criticism. Then there's that "What would you do differently if you were writing the OotS? thread. I haven't even touched that one. I could tell from the title it was nothing I wanted to see.

So I was very pleased to see this thread. Kudos to you, VanFanel! (Crusher's started some great threads as well!)

And extra kudos to The Giant! Love your stuff! I'll keep reading as long as you keep writing! And if/when you ever stop, I'll keep re-reading, believe me!

VanFanel
2013-05-16, 04:45 PM
My reply here is a bit of non-sequitor, but this little tidbit made me sigh. If only secondary languages were taught so early (and so well) here in the U.S. I speak bits of Polish and French thanks to family and graduate school respectively, but I doubt anything I write in those languages would be half as lucid or moving as what VanFanel posted up there.

We are going off-topic, but... Taught does not necessarily mean "well" taught. I may write decent English if I have 1) time to think; 2) WordReference.com; but my spoken English is awful even if I started studying it in our equivalent of your 6th grade (and in high school there was more "history of English literature" than English conversation!). For my generation, "school English" in a resume means "survival". For the next generation... we'll see. (BTW, yes, now they begin English in 1st grade, but they learn just simple English words: colors, numbers and such)

It's funny to me how English in 2013 is like Common in DnD. I mean, how did Durkon or Vaarsuvius or Belkar even learn common?

LOL I never tought about it. Of course, there are primary schools in the dwarven, elven and halfling lands (if you call Common the stuff Durkon says). And they must learn Common if they want to use the Internet. Yes, we all know (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0504.html) they have the Internet (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0739.html).

sims796
2013-05-16, 08:57 PM
Oh yeah, see example: your post.

I'm actually surprised by amount of time Rich (obviously) spends by reading the forums . . . and even that is doing way more than we could as fans hope for.

So +1 to OP in thanking Rich for OotS, when looking back at it all it's amazing how much and how well he has done, for free!

but that OP is seriously tl;dr
That wasn't exactly a criticism. Like you guys argue for the sake of arguing.

sims796
2013-05-16, 08:58 PM
No problem, as long as he reads them ;) It's enough for me.

Oh yeah, this is true.

ReluctantReaper
2013-05-19, 07:50 PM
Thank you Rich for making and epic story that loosely started based on DND. It has helped me keep connected to it and want to play again. This is a great story with every character fitting in perfectly. Thank you for all the time/resources you have put into making The Order of the Stick.