PDA

View Full Version : Iron Chef LIVE!

Amechra
2013-05-14, 05:02 PM
Alright, the basic idea is...

What if the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge had an iteration more like the original Iron Chef?

Namely, The contestants have an hour, are watched by the judges, and have a "dish" they need to present at the end.

The real question is:

How in-depth do the builds have to be? After all, it is just one hour to work...

Callin
2013-05-14, 05:06 PM
To make it easier first run could use a base class as the SI and let the chefs cook something with that. Instead of shoehorning in a PrC lol.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-14, 05:12 PM
Full 1-20. Feats, skills, fancy main trick. The lot. The Backstory and such you can just verbally present. We're not going to make it too easy on them, but they don't have to worry about making it look pretty.

After all, on the real Iron Chef, we expect them to come up with a fully cooked gourmet meal, not beans on toast with a side parsley.

To start I think it should be a 5 level PrC, so that people can get into the swing of things.

The real question is, how often should they be held?

Amechra
2013-05-14, 05:16 PM
Depends on interest. Also, on how we are going to record everyone.

I'd say a livestream recording the contestants, while judges make commentary.

Or something.

nedz
2013-05-14, 05:19 PM
In an hour you might be able to sketch an idea, maybe even specify classes and feats, but to do things like skill points or spell selections you would need much longer.

Also: most things you see on TV are faked :smallcool:

Amechra
2013-05-14, 05:25 PM
Also: most things you see on TV are faked :smallcool:

Gasp! Fakery? On my TV?

Alright, fine, it'd probably be longer than an hour. Maybe 3. Tops.

I can build a full character in that time, can't you?

Amphetryon
2013-05-14, 05:27 PM
Depends on interest. Also, on how we are going to record everyone.

I'd say a livestream recording the contestants, while judges make commentary.

Or something.
It seems like you'd need contestants to sign up before you revealed the SI, to allow every contestant the same hour of time, and have to make sure they were all coordinated, at least approximately, by time zone. If a contestant from London, England, a contestant from Hawaii, a contestant from Sydney, Australia, and a contestant from Lima, Peru all express interest, is it reasonable to ask that they're all awake at the same time?

Amechra
2013-05-14, 05:30 PM
I'm an insomniac.

So my answer is yes!

But, well, that's unreasonable, isn't it?

Piggy Knowles
2013-05-14, 06:58 PM
I would be so in, as a chef or to be on the tasting panel.

Here are my thoughts for how it could potentially run:

1. We begin with a set number of contestants and a set judging panel. Say, five or six contestants. Something like that. We also, as currently, have a chairperson.

2. Contestants and judges agree to a certain two hour block of time. (One hour for building, one hour for judging.) Maybe change up what time we do this, so that we can accommodate folks from different time zones. They also arrange some means of quick contact with the chair - gchat, a shared google doc, IM, etc.

3. At the beginning of the set hour, the chairperson confirms that all of the contestants and the judging panel are available, and then reveals the secret ingredient and sets the hour rolling.

4. Contestants all have a gentleman's agreement that they do not look at the main thread for the duration of the hour, as the main thread will have discussion about the ingredient, etc.

5. Every ten or fifteen minutes, the chair asks for an update from the contestants, and they tell the chair something about their build, or mentions some issues that they're having, or gives the chair some general thoughts - something to keep things engaging. These are basically teasers, designed to spark conversation and keep the thread moving while the contestants cook.

(This is also why the contestants must agree in advance to not look at the thread during the contest - it means we'd have to rely on the honor code, but I don't think that's so terrible.)

6. At the end of the allotted time, the chair contacts all of the contestants by agreed means, and they have five minutes to post their build. Build should be posted in a pretty simple format, something like:

Build stub, including ability scores, race, classes, feats and vital skills breakdown
Brief description of the character being created
Brief description of the build and its notable tricks
Brief explanation of how the Secret Ingredient was utilized
List of any relevant source books

...something like that, anyhow. We can refine it a bit if we actually do this.

7. Each judge is allowed to ask each contestant up to two questions about their build. (Perhaps set a time limit to response time, to keep within the two hour timeframe.) Contestants are encouraged to answer.

8. At the end of the judging hour, judges present their score for each build. We can keep the categories the same or change them up a bit if we decide new judging categories are more conducive to this faster style of contest.

Thoughts?

Callin
2013-05-14, 07:04 PM
Dang Piggy ya put some thought into that lol. That sounds like a great base to launch this idea from.

Amechra
2013-05-14, 07:14 PM
I call first chairperson! I should have plenty of time this summer.

Careless
2013-05-14, 08:12 PM
I'd watch, and I could probably get at least one friend to watch, and another friend to watch for a bit.
And if it goes on for a couple iterations, I might toss my hat into the ring some time over the summer. Why not?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-14, 08:19 PM
Depending on how/when it happened, I might be able to sink my teeth into this.

Zeb
2013-05-14, 09:56 PM
In the actual Iron chef I believe the contestant and chef are given a list of prospective secret ingredients so they can pick from the pantry and cooking supplies.

Perhaps something similar where contestants are told that the secret ingredient will be racial specific, melee, primary caster etc?

I also like the idea of doing a 5 level prestige class.

ShadowFireLance
2013-05-14, 10:03 PM
I'd like to judge, i'm a insomniac as well.) depending on what time it is.

Kuulvheysoon
2013-05-14, 11:22 PM
In the actual Iron chef I believe the contestant and chef are given a list of prospective secret ingredients so they can pick from the pantry and cooking supplies.

Perhaps something similar where contestants are told that the secret ingredient will be racial specific, melee, primary caster etc?

I also like the idea of doing a 5 level prestige class.

Nope. They're given the Secret Ingredient, and each of their dishes must include it. I saw Salmon ice cream on the good (Japanese) Iron chef once.

herrhauptmann
2013-05-15, 03:54 AM
Alright, the basic idea is...

What if the Iron Chef Optimization Challenge had an iteration more like the original Iron Chef?

Namely, The contestants have an hour, are watched by the judges, and have a "dish" they need to present at the end.

I'm not sure this is a good idea.

If you spend any time on the pbp section, you'll see someone jump into a recruitment thread for say: Level 25 gestalt, submit a build 20 minutes later because they've already made the character (either for kicks, or for another game that didn't go so well).
Not only did they get a build, they've even got a mythweavers sheet put together with gear, skills, spells/maneuvers, and items.

Or, if they're not doing that, they'll only enter the contest when the SI is something they're familiar with. Say a wizard based gish, or a bear warrior barbarian, or war hulking hurler.
I think the live IC works so well because people are already on the show, then find out about the SI (supposedly).

Another issue, it seems to me that putting a build into the IC format can take as much time as making the character. Or at least, that's how it felt when I did a Zinc Saucier.

Amechra
2013-05-15, 04:57 AM
The thing is, people very rarely have builds for the kind of stuff we do with Iron Chef here lying around.

Amphetryon
2013-05-15, 06:12 AM
I'm not sure this is a good idea.

If you spend any time on the pbp section, you'll see someone jump into a recruitment thread for say: Level 25 gestalt, submit a build 20 minutes later because they've already made the character (either for kicks, or for another game that didn't go so well).
Not only did they get a build, they've even got a mythweavers sheet put together with gear, skills, spells/maneuvers, and items.

Or, if they're not doing that, they'll only enter the contest when the SI is something they're familiar with. Say a wizard based gish, or a bear warrior barbarian, or war hulking hurler.
I think the live IC works so well because people are already on the show, then find out about the SI (supposedly).

Another issue, it seems to me that putting a build into the IC format can take as much time as making the character. Or at least, that's how it felt when I did a Zinc Saucier.I'm willing to bet that some contestants have had builds for the regular Iron Chef in the Playground contest already lying around at times, too. I fail to see the problem with that; it's not as if their pre-existence automatically ensures their quality, particularly as measured by a random sampling of fellow forumites.

I do agree that the standardized formatting could be a major PITA for a 1-hour deadline, though.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-05-15, 07:02 AM
We could up the time, though. Maybe to about two or three hours? That might allow for the standard format.

Piggy Knowles
2013-05-15, 07:03 AM
I do agree that the standardized formatting could be a major PITA for a 1-hour deadline, though.

Same... It definitely takes me a solid hour to fill out a build table properly. I think build stubs, relevant skills/feats and explanations is the most we could realistically ask for in a "live" contest like this.

dysprosium
2013-05-15, 09:02 AM
This idea is quite interesting! I would also like to post interest in this as well.

The formatting is most likely the largest time consumer for most contestants (at least I know it is for me).

As an alternative how about something like:
Level # Class chosen (feats, class abilities, [maneuvers and/or spells relevant to the shtick]): summary of how and why this is supposed to work together and what these choices mean for the rest of the build.

I like Piggy's suggestions about format and having a set number of contestants and judges. My suggestion on top of that would be to have a number of alternates (contestants and judges) ready to step in if those assigned for the live show cannot participate for some reason (like real life issues).

Deadline
2013-05-15, 09:18 AM
Due to time constraints, I won't be able to participate in this (I'm not sure how Callin does it, my two little ones consume every moment of my free time until they blissfully fall unconscious every night).

I'd still be interested in watching it, but that doesn't exactly help you folks.

Zeb
2013-05-15, 11:36 AM
Nope. They're given the Secret Ingredient, and each of their dishes must include it. I saw Salmon ice cream on the good (Japanese) Iron chef once.

while that is perhaps true on the "good" iron chef as evidenced here (http://www.today.com/id/22883495/ns/today-entertainment/t/iron-chef-isnt-quite-challenging-it-looks/#.UZO3K7Wkoc8) and some other places the chefs have a heads up on whats coming.

Formatting while difficult I think would be more like plating on the show, you have to balance the build components and tricks verses readability for the judges. I also think the contestants should get 5-10 min post completion to make up a post about the build, motivation, sweet spot, highlighting cool tricks etc.

Larkas
2013-05-15, 01:39 PM
If you're worried about time constraints and formatting, then just don't format it until after the IC! Make a standardized spreadsheet in Google Docs (heard it's called Drive these days) and make all the contestants use that to present their "dish" to the judges. Then, when everything is said and done, and the judgement has been passed, take what was built in that spreadsheet and format it in the GitP format.

Anyways, this seems like a nice idea. I only see one little problem: in such a "live" show, I don't believe the judges would have much time to check the builds for legality.

Callin
2013-05-15, 02:06 PM
Due to time constraints, I won't be able to participate in this (I'm not sure how Callin does it, my two little ones consume every moment of my free time until they blissfully fall unconscious every night).

I'd still be interested in watching it, but that doesn't exactly help you folks.

It aint easy brother thats for sure lol. I got a 7yr old 4yr old and a 1yr old. The last 2 turn another year older in July. I dont have a ton of free time during the day since the youngest now runs free and needs to be watched more. Having the other one does help a bit but she usually gets them in more trouble than out.

So at 8pm when its their bed time and I can finally get some quiet I am happy.

Vaz
2013-05-15, 05:53 PM
Perhaps

Level 1 | Class | Feats | Class Features
Level 2 | Class | Feats | Class Features
Level 3 | Class | Feats | Class Features
Level 20 | Class | Feats | Class Features

Prerequisites
- SI
--Met by X level, by taking ...
- Feats
--1 Met by taking...
--2 Met by taking...
--7 Met by taking...
etc

Pertinent Information
- Tactics/Combinations
- Build Expansion, which skills should be maxed, etc.
- Backstory Stub; how is this character approached? Stoic City Guard, or Laughing Travelling Dancer?
- Ideal items