PDA

View Full Version : How to be a jedi?

kreenlover
2013-05-14, 05:54 PM
So, I have been reading a lot of star wars comics and novels lately, as well as having been reading the Star Wars Saga Edition books, and was really wanting to play a Star Wars campaign.

However, my group only wants to play 3.5, and none of them know star wars. So, I was wondering how you guys would suggest playing a Jedi as a 3.5 character. Hopefully something that is accessible throughout all the levels.

All I can think of is getting uses of telekinesis and mage hand, as well as suggestion, but that is not what I was looking for really, as you are still limited to uses per day

Also, has anyone ever done a really good job of making a homebrew of it?

Any suggestions at all would be really helpful!

Juntao112
2013-05-14, 05:59 PM
Psychic Warrior with the Soulbound Weapon ACF

INoKnowNames
2013-05-14, 06:06 PM
Depends on how op your group is. The middle way would definitely be the aforementioned Psychic Warrior option.

For a less powerful way, you could go Soul Knife.

For something stronger, remember that a Light Saber is a magic item, and the Jedi is the sum of his or her abilities. From that view point, a Cleric seems like a reasonable option, don't you think? Given all the religious parallels and The Force and such?

Hm... actually analyzing your post a bit gives me a bit more insight on what you want. But I'm not sure if there's too much you can get that simulates -ALL- possible Jedi abilities perfectly 24-7. You might need to make a concession or two....

Emmerask
2013-05-14, 06:08 PM
and none of them know star wars.

My suggestion would be:

make a video night and watch star wars :smalltongue:

Waker
2013-05-14, 06:08 PM
Psion mixed with one of the initiators would do well I imagine.

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-14, 06:09 PM
At what level? At level one you are pretty much screwed, at level twenty we can make you a Jedi. Granted we can also make you a TARDIS so that doesn't say much.

Callin
2013-05-14, 06:11 PM
My friend did this as a Psion and taking lots of Mind Blade feats from Dreamscarred Press.

The mindblade with crystal hilts was his Lightsaber and the Psionics was the force.

kreenlover
2013-05-14, 06:15 PM
ok, so I am not looking for all force abilites, I don't want to throw lightning, don't want to do everything don't need a lightsaber. I was more hoping for some advice on things like force push, force pull, jedi mind trick, that kind of thing.

As to the tell them to watch star wars, I guess I didn't explain properly. Half don't know star wars, and the other half want nothing to do with a star wars game.

I was more hoping for a medium-low level, maybe 7 or so, max 12. yah, at 20th I could make a jedi for myself, I was more hoping for something at lower levels.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. Just, not exactly what I was looking for. The initiator thing with some psionics may work, but no maneuvers really scream JEDI or FORCE to me, except maybe some setting sun stuff. I would rather not really be a caster, because then it is more like, look, I am a cleric that happens to have jedi like abilities

I know this is hard to do, so thank you guys for the help

INoKnowNames
2013-05-14, 06:22 PM
ok, so I am not looking for all force abilites, I don't want to throw lightning, don't want to do everything don't need a lightsaber. I was more hoping for some advice on things like force push, force pull, jedi mind trick, that kind of thing.

I was more hoping for a medium-low level, maybe 7 or so, max 12. yah, at 20th I could make a jedi for myself, I was more hoping for something at lower levels.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys. Just, not exactly what I was looking for. The initiator thing with some psionics may work, but no maneuvers really scream JEDI or FORCE to me, except maybe some setting sun stuff. I would rather not really be a caster, because then it is more like, look, I am a cleric that happens to have jedi like abilities

I know this is hard to do, so thank you guys for the help

The thing is, can you name a non-casting class that can even remotely force push or pull, or do jedi mind tricks?

Even from the basic tricks seen in the movies, and this is a viewpoint from a kid that knows so little about Star Wars he actually enjoyed Episode I the most (most people I know say it's the worst of the 6), Jedi pretty much act as Casters. ...hell, check Darths and Droids (http://www.darthsanddroids.net/episodes/0004.html)if you want to refute this. Refluffed Monkish Fighter/Wizard Paladins is the closest they've gotten to a direct comparison to 3.5. Casters/Warriors with mystic abilities.

When I mentioned Cleric, really think about it. You don't have a Deity; you're a Warrior of The Force. Your spells are all abilities governed through your midichlorians...

I think what you're REALLY looking for is an outright homebrew Jedi Class, and this board has an epic homebrew section, but I can almost gurantee anything any class you find or receive can do, a refluffed caster can do similarly.

Still, I wish you good luck.

Emperor Tippy
2013-05-14, 06:31 PM
Ideally you want a Psion//Monk//Factotum gestalt. That can emulate a Jedi quite well.

If you want a Jedi consular then pure Psion is pretty good at it assuming you pick the right powers.

There is another option if you want something both more and less cheety (the tricks used to make it possible are hideously broken but the end result isn't actually out of line power wise).

kreenlover
2013-05-14, 06:33 PM
well, ok. I wasn't really looking for a homebrew, although that may work, but more of a way to do it within the rules. That refluffed cleric idea is starting to sound pretty nice after that second explanation of it though. I shall take a look at it.

Thanks everyone!

Juntao112
2013-05-14, 06:34 PM
I think Warlocks can also pull off being a Jedi.

kreenlover
2013-05-14, 06:46 PM

Yes, with possibly a reflavoured eldritch glave. Good call

Callin
2013-05-14, 06:50 PM
However you want to do it can always be refluffed to fit a jedi theme. Psionics is easiest since its just mind powers and all you have to do is refluff the spell themantics. Im not sure just how a Warlock could emulate the Force though.

Relevant Funny Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEoglL-wPuc)

INoKnowNames
2013-05-14, 06:52 PM
well, ok. I wasn't really looking for a homebrew, although that may work, but more of a way to do it within the rules. That refluffed cleric idea is starting to sound pretty nice after that second explanation of it though. I shall take a look at it.

Thanks everyone!

I convinced someone else on the internet! I win! :smallbiggrin:

Seriously though, I hope you find a concept that helps fit you.

Yes, with possibly a reflavoured eldritch glave. Good call

Warlock.... little bit more frail than I'd expect for a Jedi, but certainly a possibility, and 24-7 powers is good, too.

My only question for you is if alignment matters for your group or not, since Warlocks are either Chaotic or Evil, and Jedi don't seem very Chaotic.

Now a Sith, on the other hand..... :smallamused:

However you want to do it can always be refluffed to fit a jedi theme. Psionics is easiest since its just mind powers and all you have to do is refluff the spell themantics. Im not sure just how a Warlock could emulate the Force though.

The simplest refluff on the source of their powers, rather than being some demon or monster link, makes them fit candidates for Warriors of the Force. Eldritch Glave for melee attacks, and Eldritch Blast for visual damaging force attacks (nothing immediately comes to mind beyond force lightning there, though). And pick and choose Invocations to suit your playstyle and desires.

Relevant Funny Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEoglL-wPuc)

..... heh ....

kreenlover
2013-05-14, 06:55 PM
My only question for you is if alignment matters for your group or not, since Warlocks are either Chaotic or Evil, and Jedi don't seem very Chaotic.

Now a Sith, on the other hand..... :smallamused:

Alignment doesn't matter, and my DM is pretty flexible about it too. and, yes, for the Sith Warlock basically fits as written, for a jedi, may need a few changes, but should work overall

CIDE
2013-05-14, 07:34 PM
Kind of have Jedi already in D20. Just saying.

Kane0
2013-05-14, 09:45 PM
Totally swordsage'd, so i'll say something else.

Warlock would work pretty well:
Make force powers (invocations) wis based instead of Cha based.
Leaps and bounds -> Force jump
Beguiling influence -> mind trick
Repelling blast -> Force Push
Voidsense -> Jedi sense
Modified Eldritch Glaive -> Lightsaber
Modified Brimstone/Hellrime blast -> Force Lightning
Add in more as allowed by DM (KotOR helps a ton here)

Substitute class features for things liks Wis to AC in light/no armor, movement speed increase, bonus to initiative, bonus weapon specific feats (eldritch lightsaber only), etc.

Larkas
2013-05-14, 10:36 PM
Can't you use your Jedi mind tricks persuade them to play Star Wars d20? If not, try importing that game's classes! The games should be mostly compatible, I think, and it should work more or less like any other subsystem.

Feint's End
2013-05-14, 11:33 PM
So, I have been reading a lot of star wars comics and novels lately, as well as having been reading the Star Wars Saga Edition books, and was really wanting to play a Star Wars campaign.

However, my group only wants to play 3.5, and none of them know star wars. So, I was wondering how you guys would suggest playing a Jedi as a 3.5 character. Hopefully something that is accessible throughout all the levels.

All I can think of is getting uses of telekinesis and mage hand, as well as suggestion, but that is not what I was looking for really, as you are still limited to uses per day

Also, has anyone ever done a really good job of making a homebrew of it?

Any suggestions at all would be really helpful!

Psywar 11
Swordsage 2
Shiba Protector 1
Sanctified Mind 6

Take Intuitive Strike and get it allowed for a Bastardsword (use it bothhanded to avoid penalty and reflavour magic into making it a lightsaber ... the energy crystals can just be weapon crystals from MIC)

Now you have Wisdom for manifesting (take practised manifester to get to Ml 20) twice for hit, for damage, for Ac (makes armor not necessary especially with Intertial Armor) and ofc for Wil saves.
Instead of Swordsage you could go 1 Level Monk for the Ac but Swordsage gives you a few more tricks (though you might not want to use them because they don't fit flavour)

So now we have a "Lightsaber", no armor, Wisdom based (goes great with the Jedi Flavour) and if you put skills right good acrobatics

Now for manifesting. Take Freedom mantle at Level 2 for more movementspeed (And dimension hop and flight if that is ok flavourwise)

Spend feats on Expanded Knowledge and Hidden Talent (especially if you get flaws allowed) for Powers from the Psion's list like Telekenetic Force to emulate Force push and pull and you can easily pull of the mind tricks with Level 1 and 2 Powers

feats to take (psywar taxes): Psicrystal Affinity (also qualifies as alertness for Shiba), Psionic Meditation, Linked Power (buffing^10), Expanded Knowlegde (share pain), Iron Will (get through Otyugh's Hole if possible), Combat Expertise + you should take Power Attack because your +hit is pretty high from double wis

you get (using human)
1 feat human
7 feats level
4 feats psywar (5 actually but you should spend one on freedom mantle)
So even if you take the feats I suggested it leaves you with quite a few options to improve your Combat Power and/or expanded knowledges to emulate the other abilities of a Jedi (mind trick, push, pull, etc etc)

That is pretty much exactly what you want to have. I don't know why anybody would want to play Jedi type character as an arcane or divine caster because the casting alone makes them entirely unflavourable

If you are interested I can give you some more suggestions.

edit: just had an even better idea. Take psicrystal (Something you should do anyways ... vigor + share pain say hello) and integrate a chamber into the hilt of your sword (like a potion chamber) ... then put your psicrystal inside and reflavour it

nedz
2013-05-15, 05:05 AM
Half-Fey Warlock
Half-Fey gets you all of the mind tricks.
Warlock gets you the Light Sabre Eldritch Glaive.
If you start with Halfling or Gnome you can even pull off Yoda.

The other way is a Sorcerer based Gish aiming for Telekinesis and Thunderlance. Fey Touched Halfling for the Yoda thing (mainly appearance).

thethird
2013-05-15, 05:11 AM
No one has yet suggested shadowcaster?

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233539), read this:

So... After reading about Shadowcasters, re-reading ToM 3 times, reading web enchantment for Shadowcasters and re-reading few guides... I started to experiment came up with a weird concept that somewhat circumvents an average Master of Unseen hand... Without further due.. =>
*BIG disclaimer, as I am writing this, I think that Dungeon Crusher's attack might need Actual Str to deal bonus STR dmg. If a DM that runs a campaign agrees to add INT instead of STR, or in addition to, than large STR mod is not that necessary, otherwise boosting STR for dmg might be necessary. However, they key idea of hurling people with "forcepush" remains regardless of this compromise, it will just happen with less impact dmg. Technically speaking since Mystery directly makes a substitution of STR with INT, one can try to argue that it substitutes it into all the results of such attack, but again, DM has a last word as usual here.*

*Build for level 10, everything is in "playable" order to minimize patchy progression*
Factotum Shadow Jedi
lvl10 Human
Stats=> Max Int & potentially STR, rest is w/e.

Factotum+1/Fighter+1/Shadowcaster+1/Factotum+2/Shadowcaster+4/Fighter+1[Dungeon Crasher]

Feats[4+1Human+1Fighter+1Shadowcaster]=>Able Learner, Combat Expertise, Improved Bulrush, Improved Trip, Favored Mystery[Quicker than the Eye], Improved Disarm, Favored Mystery[Umbral Fist],
*Option 1=> Replace some Combat Maneuvers with Font of Inspiration*
*Option 2=> Practiced Spellcaster could be interpreted of giving +4CL to shadow casting, especially since every caster and their mother has this feat. However it is up to interpretation since book does not explicitly state this*

Skillz=> Sleight of Hand, and than, anything you might want. There will be plenty of skill points to go around, so really anything from UMD(obvious choice), social skills[Jedi Mind Tricks anyone? ^^] & etc.

Mysteries
Fundamentals=> Umbral Handx2, Sight Obscurredx2, than any other one.
Apprentice=> Quicker than the Eye, Carpet of Shadows, Trail of Haze, Quicker than the Eye, Umbral Fist.
================================================== =>

So there you have it ^^. Rather silly, however, you can steal a LOT of things [+15 sleight of hand and using Umbral Hand at range], and when it comes to pushing folks around, at rather long range (150ft without potential Practiced Spellcaster) you can perform Trip, bullrush & disarms with having your Int modifier count twice (Brains over Brawn) for pushing them. All while still being one of the top skill users in your party and probably the best thief [adding your Int to Sleight of Hand thru factotum on TOP of +15 Mystery accumulated bonus^^]. Advancing this can go in few different directions such as getting 2nd Dungeoncrusher ability, or getting more Mysteries and being a PseudoGish.
*Edit! potential Mystery Swap could be from Carpet of Shadows to Bend Perspective. This trick can let you do w/e it is you want to while being in entirely different room hehe ^^. This takes away some versatility and adds it to uses of a primary focus [stealing/force tricks]*

All and all, I really liked Shadowcasters, shame I won't get to play one in any foreseeable future, but hopefully some people liked this silly build ^^.

P.S. I think similar idea can be accomplished with using Marshal instead of Factotum and upping Charisma instead of Int. This way, the party will enjoy some boosts. The issue however will be in lack of sweet sweet skills.

BWR
2013-05-15, 06:08 AM
My suggestion would be:

make a video night and watch star wars :smalltongue:

Best suggestion.
Seriously. Rather than trying to stuff a Jedi-like build into another setting where it doesn't really fit or work, get them to watch SW. Chances are they will like it and be more amenable to playing a proper SW game.

Ossian
2013-05-15, 06:17 AM
I second the idea of just adapting a class. Sorcerer would do, but they have horrible BAB and they are brittle. Cleric is better. Medium BAB, d8, good saves, proficiency with weapons. A multi-class with Monk would do some of the movement abilities of a Jedi.

You would still have to tailor a spells list to represent a Jedi. Main traits are

Drawing inspiration from the 3.5 star wars core rulebook, I would throw in there a few ballpark figures to help you scale things

Ability Boosts: DEX (for initiative, AC, balance and tumble, attack with Finesse) and STR (for Jumps, damage, or attack). One good roll gives up to +6 to the Ability (not to the bonus)

Battlemind: bonus to attack (not to BAB) that reaches up to +8

Empathy / Fear: anything that bumps up your charisma, from calming down a scared nerf to instilling some good old fear of God in the hearts of enemies. Could be a bonus to Diplomacy too, up to +8

Move Objects: this is the toughest. Telekinesis, force jumps and force falls of tens of meters, throwing stuff, pushing people, hurling people, fine manipulation, catching missiles in mid-air

Hurt: Vader School: force choke an airway, or force grip a vital organ. Some kind of temporary (but potentially fatal) CON drain.

Foresight: clairvoyance, not too far into the future, blurred visions.

Yora
2013-05-15, 07:03 AM
I support straight Psychic Warrior. It can be Jedi-ish from level one and with Expanded Knowledge you can get all the mind powers from the telepath power list.

Person_Man
2013-05-15, 08:16 AM
This is my best attempt at a Jedi homebrew class, the War Soul (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156441). It uses the Incarnum rules, which can be a chore to learn, but it makes the class far more flexible.

Razanir
2013-05-15, 09:42 AM
Using SRD-only, you could be a psychic warrior with a one-level dip into soulknife for a mindblade lightsaber.

EDIT: Better idea, but it needs a bit of DM refluffing. If you can convince him to let War Mind be religious instead of historical (Knowledge (Religion) not Knowledge (History) for a prereq), you could do this:

Start with a level of soulknife to get your lightsaber. Spend your next 4 levels in psychic warrior, developing your psionic force powers. Then you go visit another war mind Yoda, to become a war mind a real Jedi. 10 levels in that, then go back to psychic warrior. At level 20, it'd be Soulknife 1/Psychic Warrior 9/War Mind 10. Not necessarily the highest op combination, but certainly a flavorful one. And SRD-only, at that.

Kaeso
2013-05-15, 10:03 AM
A jedi's powers are mostly force-based/magical, right? Take a combat sorcerer. A magical greatsword can function as your lightsaber and your skills are your powers. Force choke, force push, force lightning, it can all be refluffed without changing the mechanics. Of course you also get force rope trick, force grease and force prismatic sphere :smallamused:

ericp65
2013-05-15, 10:14 AM
Maybe a brilliant energy weapon could sub as a lightsabre. Also, isn't it illegal to be alive and not know Star Wars? ;)

Gavinfoxx
2013-05-15, 10:26 AM
Brilliant energy weapons make TERRIBLE lightsabers! Seriously.

+1 Hideaway Shocking Flaming Parrying Defending Psychokinetic Feycraft Adamantine Longsword works fairly well.

Also, the Dominant Ideal Ardent makes a great Jedi!

Here's a homebrew Mantle for The Force

The Force (Force Mantle)
Granted Power: While psionically focused, you gain a +1 deflection bonus to your Armor Class.
1.Detect Psionics (1): You detect the presence of psionics.
2.Know Direction & Location (1): You discover where you are and what direction you face.
3.Mindlink (1): You forge a limited mental bond with another creature.
4.Vigor (1): Gain 5 temporary hit points.
5.Psionic Suggestion (2): Compels subject to follow stated course of action.
6.Read Thoughts (2): Detect surface thoughts of creatures in range.
7.Telekinetic Maneuver (4): Telekinetically bull rush, disarm, grapple, or trip your target.
8.Psionic Divination (4): Provides useful advice for specific proposed action.
9.Correspond (4): Hold mental conversation with another creature at any distance.
10.Remote Viewing (4): See, hear, and potentially interact with subjects at a distance.

Piggy Knowles
2013-05-15, 10:35 AM
I would google "face first weekly optimization showcase." It's a psion 20 build that would work well for you, I think. Just swap out some of the powers for telekinetic force/thrust/maneuver, and you'll have everything on your list.