PDA

View Full Version : Iron Kingdoms D20

CIDE
2013-05-14, 07:03 PM
Alright, I've been sitting on the Iron Kingdoms books (As far as I know all of them) for a long while now. I've peaked through them but never did any in depth reading. It's looking grim for any possible purely steampunk adventure or purely Iron Kingdoms adventure or game. But I do play with a lot of lenient DM's that will allow stuff from varying D20 Systems as long as we don't break the game and all the players still have fun.

That said the bits I did read from Iron Kingdoms I LOVED in regards to fluff as well as the way some of the classes worked. I've been wanting to build out of them as well. Only thing is I don't know how well it'd stack up against say...core 3.5, Pathfinder, BESM d20, D20 Modern, Everquest D20, blah blah blah.

Anyone have enough experience with the system to share their input? Can the classes and magic keep up? Any houserules you suggest?

Andrepartthree
2014-10-18, 03:36 PM
Hi there :) .. I'm just noticing your thread now and that and you posted it way back in May 2014, people might get mad at me for posting on an old thread :P hopefully not .. to be honest your post came up when I did a google search on d20 resources for people like me who prefer to stick to the d20 version of Iron Kingdoms rather than the newer version :)

A few things... there is a new version of the Iron Kingdoms books, "Iron Kingdoms Core Rules" and "Iron Kingdoms Kings Nations and Gods" that uses a non d20 ruleset... stubborn people like me who love d20 will insist on sticking with the old d20 rules :P ... but that is an available option .. I've heard good things about it on the Privateer Press website from people who have played it mind you.

One really good resource ...

http://privateerpressforums.com/forumdisplay.php?43-Iron-Kingdoms-Roleplaying-Game

As far as how it stacks up to other games .... my experience is primarily with old fashioned dungeons and dragons d20, did play a bit of pathfinder so not much help there ... I can say that in my honest opinion as far as "backstory/role playing/ immersive in-depth campaign world with lots of detail" ... this is your game, totally agree with you on the fluff .. in my opinion it is the most well written, comprehensive campaign world out there, so much so that it finally convinced me after years of gaming to start writing up my own home-brew "modules" (much harder than just running prepublished/prewritten modules) ... when you say you have all the books I'm guessing you mean Iron Kingdoms Character Guide, Iron Kingdoms World Guide, Liber Mechanika, Monsternomicon Volumes I and II, possibly Five Fingers Port of Deceit... there's a bunch of outstanding New Quarter magazines that provide lots of d20 issues too by the same publisher, Privateer Press... as well there are the Witchfire Trilogy Modules perhaps you already have those?

Had a thought... strange as this might sound how would your GM feel about taking a break for a while and letting you GM with the understanding that you can always switch back to the old GM if people hate it? :) ... The first Witchfire trilogy module "The Longest Night" is available used for under eight dollars on amazon and it's got everything you need right there for several sessions of game play, just flip to the appropriate page in the module and start running it ;) .. combine that with say the options from the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide, have everyone write up PC's from the IKCG, for people who really get into the role playing / character background element let them take a peek at Iron Kingdoms World Guide (just certain parts though :P ) the IKWG has spoilers for the Witchfire modules if you decide to proceed with those ) ... let everyone have at it and see if you can bring them around to the steampunk Iron Kingdoms campaign setting which I have a feeling you also, like me, admire :) ...

This also has a lot of pre-written modules for Iron Kingdoms d20 version

http://www.buccaneerbass.com/rls/html/homenews/index.shtml

But honestly I think the first Witchfire module is the way to go, to me it's an amazingly well written module.. though like all modules it does rail road players to a certain degree along one individual "path" (not sure if your GM runs prepublished modules him/herself or writes his/her own stuff?)

Vaynor
2014-10-18, 05:10 PM
The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.