PDA

View Full Version : Crackpot theory of the week!

WindStruck
2013-05-14, 11:17 PM
Hello all, I have a crazy theory. Though I really loath the term "epileptic tree", as such things are complete utter nonsense, my idea is certainly out there, but still plausible... maybe.

Anyway, what if the snarl and all it embodies represents the transitions from one edition of d&d to the next? It is the epitome of destruction and the inevitable end of things that are badly designed.

Imagine the first time the world was undone: that was 2nd edition going kaput. There's also a slight parallel. There is a book, Deities & Demigods, that hosts a whole slew of different gods and pantheons from different religions in our world. However, as the editions progress, it seems the number of deities and pantheons continually get eliminated.

However, the new world that was made is an improvement over the last... and hopefully something that would be much stronger and more resilient than its predecessor in order to prevent another unmaking, God death, and re-doing of .. well... everything. That is to say, since 3rd edition seems to have been better designed, it should've been able to stave off the destructive attempts of The Snarl for much longer. Unfortunately, the winds of change seem poised strike again, as The Snarl still continues to unmake its prison and consume the world... or is it?

As we should know, D&D 4.0 has been out for a while. It's came and been here a while, regardless of whatever 3rd edition stuff we all have going on. However, many people and other game systems are reluctant and stubborn to change to this new system, much like the Order of the Stick web comic hasn't just magically changed its edition (Recall: it did do an update in the very beginning of the comic!).

There's probably a host of different reasons why the comic doesn't just magically change. Probably continuity, story telling, preference... and of course the big one is that 4th edition is such a big change. Even the entire histories have changed.

One thing to point out, though, is that the world simply isn't crumbling, and at the same time, The Snarl has never been seen attacking (currently). What The Snarl has done, however, was create its own world, regardless. This world embodies 4th edition. I think it knows now that it can't just force itself upon its former "prison", its denizens, or its gods. All it can do is build the world it sees as perfect, sit back, and wait. If you build it, they will come...

From an OOTS point of view, The Snarl could have taken on a more subtle and sinister attitude. Instead of trying to directly destroy the 3rd edition world, it instead tries to lure its inhabitants to abandon it and take up residence on the new 4th edition world. In a way, The Snarl's goal probably isn't to "escape" but just to destroy and change creation.

We are in a unique position though. The previous worlds were weak and easy to destroy. The 3rd edition world still seems strong and resilient, but being weakened. As for the 4th edition world... we could be in big trouble if that becomes the the new "official" world and the 3rd edition world is destroyed. Assuming the snarl would then have dominion over it, you could expect the world to be frequently unmade and remade on its whim within relative short periods of time (regarding the other Gods, anyway).

------

Anyway, that's it. Pretty crazy huh? :smalltongue:

Zmeoaice
2013-05-14, 11:28 PM
I'm not sure. In the first comic, they mention going from 3.0 to 3.5. Elan gets new armor, and Belkar's dagger shrinks.

WindStruck
2013-05-14, 11:38 PM
Right, honestly, I suppose the theory would fall apart if the differences between 3.0 and 3.5 are too huge. ... and I really don't know much of the differences myself, but would it be the safe to say that overall, history, races, classes, and Gods don't change, but just a few minor mechanics?

Zmeoaice
2013-05-14, 11:41 PM
TBH, I'm not educated in the mechanics. I heard a lot of things changed in 4e, such as not having to roll die for stats and HP, and not getting XP penalty for multi classing.

As for gods and stuff, I think they're generally made up for this campaign. The cosmology of OoTS seems pretty original. Tiamat is the only major D&D god in this world I believe.

BrotherMirtillo
2013-05-15, 12:05 AM
Anyway, what if the snarl and all it embodies represents the transitions from one edition of d&d to the next? It is the epitome of destruction and the inevitable end of things that are badly designed.

However, many people and other game systems are reluctant and stubborn to change to this new system, much like the Order of the Stick web comic hasn't just magically changed its edition (Recall: it did do an update in the very beginning of the comic!).

There's probably a host of different reasons why the comic doesn't just magically change. Probably continuity, story telling, preference... and of course the big one is that 4th edition is such a big change. Even the entire histories have changed.

Anyway, that's it. Pretty crazy huh? :smalltongue:

...would it be the safe to say that overall, history, races, classes, and Gods don't change, but just a few minor mechanics?

The idea isn't crazy, but I doubt it'll show up here. I don't know if you've seen Snips/Snails/Dragon Tales, but it addresses this very idea of one edition-world in place of another. I won't spoil its action, but I will draw from Rich's commentary. Your "host of different reasons" is only mostly true. Preference doesn't relate to the comic and its retention of 3.5 ed. Yes, Rich admitted that certain editions are better at portraying certain styles of adventures better than others, but he also said that his preference is just that -- a preference. It doesn't make one edition inherently stronger or more valuable, so I'm pretty sure that's not the casting factor for the main comic.

However, your guess of story telling is right on target. He said the story would've lost all its momentum if it needed to explain a whole new set of rules. I'm guessing this is especially true because the comic's recent chapters have gotten more about characters and less about rules.

So no, your idea's not completely unheard of. It's just that I kinda doubt the main story would go anywhere with that gimmick. That said, it's a real laugh seeing it in action in Snips/Snails, so I recommend you check that out. I assure you, the changes to classes and skill sources are not minor, and you'll get a vivid look at them from multiple sides.

Jay R
2013-05-15, 01:23 PM
It's a fun analogy for you to play with. There is no evidence that this is an allegory intended by the author.

EmperorSarda
2013-05-15, 01:25 PM
Also The Giant has indicated that he won't transition his comic to 4th Edition.

WindStruck
2013-05-15, 02:47 PM
Also The Giant has indicated that he won't transition his comic to 4th Edition.

Yes, exactly! All the more reason for the Snarl to remain "caged" and the OOTS to emerge triumphant! :smallbiggrin:

J's
2013-05-15, 04:42 PM
Haley once stated that her father was a first Ed. Thief.

So if anything I would say no evidence for and slight against.

I think when the world was first seen by blackwing the theory in the thread was about it being earth. And the reaching in by the snarl was both players and gms. A tangential theory to yours, but also one that the only responce to is 'eh, we'll see.'

R-Group
2013-05-15, 05:13 PM
I thought Mr. Burlew didn't want the comic to be based around game mechanics, and the focus would instead be on the actual story/campaign going on in a world that uses mechanics from a game?

Also, as BrotherMirtillo mentioned, he already did the 4th Ed. thing in Snips, Snails, and Dragon Tails.

BrotherMirtillo
2013-05-15, 07:20 PM
I think when the world was first seen by blackwing the theory in the thread was about it being earth. And the reaching in by the snarl was both players and gms. A tangential theory to yours, but also one that the only responce to is 'eh, we'll see.'

No, Rich spells that one out in his "Don't Split the Party" commentary, saying that the planet within the planet is NOT our Earth. He also said that he'll reveal the answer eventually, just not for a while. Given his reputation, I'm fine with being patient to await that side of the story.

WindStruck
2013-05-15, 08:16 PM
Which book is snips, snails, etc? Is it part of the webcomic here, or is it extra material? ...cause I don't know what you guys are talking about. :smallconfused:

thatSeniorGuy
2013-05-15, 08:53 PM
Snips, Snails and Dragon Tales is a book of extra material that Rich created that is not tied to the main OOTS storyline, but includes lots of stuff like the Dragon magazine comics, the Fourth Edition Dimension strips that others have been talking about, a comic about Julian Scoundrél, and lots more. More information (and the location to buy it) is here (http://www.ookoodook.com/store/OOTSSnipsSnailsAndDragonTales.shtml).

(If you have the money, I highly encourage you to get it!)